Heifer International is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
The primary responsibility of the Web Developer is the continued development of Heifer International’s public-facing web properties to execute on the organization’s marketing strategy. Assignments include all aspects of the development lifecycle and all deliverables should be timely and cost-effective.
ESSENTIAL CHARACTER TRAITS:
Detail-oriented, solution-oriented, self-motivated, accountable, communicative, imaginative, energetic, personable, collaborative, patient, empathetic.
RESPONSIBILITIES & DELIVERABLES
A. Responsible for the development, maintenance, and integrity of the website and other digital properties. (80%)
- Develop new website features according to specified functional requirements and user experience (UX) best practices.
- Utilize project requirements to identify and evaluate possible solutions and make decisions about which solution to deploy based on your assessment of critical factors such as security, scalability, maintainability, risk mitigation, and resource utilization.
- Employ best practices in quality assurance, including regression testing, code review, and functionality validation, to test new and existing projects to ensure that all code (yours and other developers) adheres to the organization’s standards and project requirements and existing design patterns.
- Integrate and build databases that interface with the e-commerce and reporting modules of the website.
- Collaborate with web designers to create web experiences that match visual designs.
- Update and maintain an existing website to meet the security and functionality standards as outlined by PCI Compliance policies.
- Maintain the website hosting environment to provide a performant website while maintaining the highest degrees of security.
- Maintain a working integrated development environment.
- Manage continuous integration and continuous deployment for the development of new web features
- Develop and maintain integrations with third-party platforms such as Google Analytics, Salesforce Marketing Cloud, Qualtrics, Braintree and Blackbaud CRM.
- Manage and maintain the digital monthly charge process to ensure accuracy and security related to credit card processing.
- Provide subject matter expertise to agency partners and developers regarding Heifer business rules and use cases as related to website user experience functionality
- Debug and fix issues in a timely manner.
- Maintain a working knowledge of web browser technology, features, and functionality.
- Implement and integrate tools that monitor the performance and availability of the website.
- Build and maintain standalone microsites and web applications in support of organizational strategies.
B. Properly manage priorities and workload to align with the current project plan. (15%)
- Provide daily updates with Digital Production Manager on assigned work and clarify priorities and technical approach to the work.
- Participate in frequent team meetings to review and prioritize work.
- Meet with stakeholders to discuss requests and issues and track progress within internal tracking system.
- Identify and contribute to functional requirements and translate them into technical design and development documentation.
- Collaborate with third party vendors and partners on website features and integrations to ensure quality assurance that meets development best practices.
**C. May perform other job-related duties as assigned (5%)
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, web development, or related field required plus three-five (3-5) years of related experience.
- Knowledge of website security best practices.
- Experience working on multi-person projects using a version control system such as Git or Bitbucket.
- Working knowledge of object-oriented design principles
- Experience editing and writing code for the core/themes/plugins for a web Content Management System such as WordPress, Drupal, or Zend Framework-based CMS.
- Experience with image optimization for use on the web using tools such as Adobe Photoshop.
- Knowledge of the non-profit sector with awareness of the context in which non-profit organizations operate.
- Experience in collaborating with vendors on project deliverables.
Most Critical Proficiencies:
- Knowledge of quality assurance methodologies.
- Familiarity with usability design principles.
- Knowledge of release cycles, continuous integration, and deployment processes.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to maintain focus for long periods of time.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Essential Job Functions and Physical Demands:
- Ability to collaborate with all levels of Heifer staff, volunteers, and outside organizations.
- Constant face-to-face, telephone and electronic communication with colleagues.
- Follow standard processes to understand problems, make decisions and implement
- Managing multiple tasks individually while under a full workload and tight deadlines.
- Preparing and presenting documents and reports in a well-designed and attractive format with impeccable attention to detail.
- Ability to present technical information in user-friendly language.
- May require constant sitting and moving; working at a computer for extended periods.
- Ability to function independently utilizing self-direction and motivational/minimal supervision.
- Willingness and ability to work outside of normal business hours on rare occasions.
- Working with sensitive information and maintaining confidentiality.
WHAT WE OFFER:
Heifer International offers a variety of benefits for U.S. based employees working 30 or more hours per week.
- Health and wellness benefits including Flexible Spending Account and/or Health Saving Account
- Employee assistance program
- 403(b) retirement plan (match 1% employee to 2% employer up to a maximum of 4% match + 3% employer discretionary contribution regardless of employee contribution)
- 22 vacation days in addition to 12 statutory and discretionary holidays, and 10 sick days per year
- Employer-paid life insurance and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D)
- Professional development and annual merit increase opportunities
- Optional critical illness insurance, legal assistance plan and pet protection