Are you someone with developing leadership and technical capabilities? Do you enjoy building relationships and working collaboratively in a team environment with both internal and external stakeholders? If you enjoy entrepreneurship and innovation, this opportunity is for you! As someone with excellent communication skills and business acumen, you will thrive in our fast-paced and agile environment.
Dillon’s Communities and Environment technical group is looking for a Waste Management Specialist to join our multidisciplinary team of professionals. You will have the opportunity to work on new and exciting projects while providing clients with a fully integrated and superior customer experience.
At Dillon, we operate as one team. This position is available at either of our Dillon Vancouver, Calgary, Kitchener, Toronto, Guelph or Hamilton offices.
What your day will look like
Project Coordination (87%)
- Provide assistance in solid waste projects related to waste management planning and approvals, waste diversion programs and waste management facilities.
- Coordinate public consultation programs.
- Coordinate field teams completing field-related work.
- Collaborate with project managers, engineers, environmental scientists and others on various multi-disciplinary teams.
- Coordinate and manage project tasks, budgets and schedules.
- Contribute to report writing and preparation of spreadsheets and figures.
Business Development (10%)
- Prepare technical and financial proposals.
- Identify and develop new business opportunities.
- Lead the maintenance of existing client relationships including preparation of proposals and statement of qualifications.
- Business travel upon request.
Learning & Development (3%)
- Commit to self-development and ongoing learning and professional development
- Input to the career development of junior staff, including technical direction, training recommendations, coaching and mentoring.
- Contribute to Dillon’s corporate profile through active participation in professional associations and committees.
What you will need to succeed
- A degree in environmental science or civil/environmental engineering or related degree.
- 4 to 7 years’ experience in solid waste management for public and/or private clients.
- Interested in growing your career in the waste management industry.
- Exceptional communication (verbal and written) skills are essential.
- Ability to efficiently use Microsoft Excel and Word.
- Experience in working and collaborating with multidisciplinary teams and/or groups.
- Demonstrated abilities in the coordination of project/group teams.
- Experience/interest working zero waste strategy development and circular economy projects.
- Knowledge of applicable waste management legislation including environmental assessment requirements and the approvals application process would be considered an asset.
Why choose Dillon
Dillon is powered by people who are technically proficient, passionate about socially important projects, and motivated to deliver superior, tangible results. We strive to remain at the forefront of technology and innovation, and are empowered to continually grow and develop.
We live our core values:
- Reliability: words that result in actions build trust;
- Achievement: do the work to hit the target;
- Continuous development: always learning; always adapting; always growing;
- Creativity: discover new possibilities;
- Courage: do the things that matter, especially when it’s hard;
- Inclusiveness: enabling belonging to draw strength from our differences
In addition, we offer:
Employee share purchase plan
- Dillon is 100% employee owned and share ownership is open to all full-time regular employees
A competitive compensation package
- Comprehensive health benefits
- Generous retirement savings plan
- Student loan repayment assistance with matching employer contributions
Flexible work hours and remote working options
- Dillon values its staff and the contributions that are made each day and understands that work arrangements can differ based on personal needs and business needs. We are taking a trust-based approach to oﬀer a variety of ﬂexible and remote work options to help balance the competing demands of work and personal life.
Learning and Development opportunities
- As a knowledge-based business, the organic growth of our knowledge and skills occur through our work performance and roles. The creation and sharing of knowledge allows us to take local knowledge to scale, capture lessons learned through experience, and continuously improve service delivery. The development of self and others is an evident and measured core behaviour within our organization
- We use a composite approach to development including coaching to build the how, mentoring to share lessons, advising to round out perspectives, and co-creation of knowledge through internal learning opportunities.
Focus on Innovation
- The ability to anticipate, examine, and adopt new and innovative solutions is a crucial driver for the continual and progressive advancement of our business performance. In our culture, people are empowered to reflect and question current practices and seek forward looking solutions to today’s problems and tomorrow’s opportunities.
Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP)
- A variety of EFAP tools and online resources to support well-being are available to all employees.
- Our employees can take advantage of wellness subsidy that can be put towards expenses for a variety of health and/or wellness related activities such as gym membership, purchase of home fitness equipment, yoga classes and dance classes
Dillon is a proudly Canadian, employee-owned, professional consulting firm specializing in planning, engineering, environmental science and management. We partner with clients to provide committed, collaborative, and inventive solutions to complex, multi-faceted projects. With over 20 offices and more than 1000 employees across Canada, Dillon offers a wide range of services related to building and improving facilities and infrastructure, protecting the environment, and developing communities.
Now operating for over 75 years, we continue to strive for excellence in everything we do. Dillon has been listed as one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies for the past 16 years and has the distinction of having achieved Platinum Club member status in this program.
Employment Equity, Diversity & Inclusion at Dillon:
Dillon is committed to the principles of employment equity, inclusiveness, and diversity within our organization. We strive to achieve a workplace where opportunities are based on skills and abilities and that respects and values differences.
Inclusion is more than a word to us, it is the way we choose to run our business.
Please connect with us if you require accommodation in the interview process. We would love to hear from you!