About the opportunity
SWCA is looking for an experienced Vice President – Legal, General Counsel. This is a full-time, regular (with benefits) salaried position.
Our Vision (the North Star), Core Values, and Purpose: Help drive SWCA to be the best workplace and industry leader in sustainability, bringing sound science and creative solutions to global environmental challenges while maintaining a dedication to employee-ownership.
We are #OneSWCA and collaborate across all our offices, programs, and disciplines. We are #AlwaysLearning, we #NeverSettle, and we #GiveBack. We are 100% employee-owned, and we build our success together. It is imperative for the successful candidate to fit SWCA's unique culture. Do you appreciate sustainability and environmental awareness? Is giving back to your community a priority? SWCA is a team of scientists, planners, technical experts, and corporate services professionals who are committed to our culture.
Our company purpose is to preserve natural and cultural resources for tomorrow while enabling projects that benefit people today. Be part of our success story!
What you will accomplish
- Provide strategic leadership and direction on legal matters, setting clear objectives, and fostering a culture of excellence and collaboration.
- Oversee and ensure compliance with corporate governance requirements, including select board meetings, corporate policies, and regulatory filings applicable to the business.
- Identify and assess legal risks associated with business activities and develop effective risk mitigation strategies.
- Review, draft, and negotiate high-value and complex commercial agreements, including vendor contracts, client agreements, lease agreements, strategic partnerships, and joint ventures.
- Lead efforts to ensure the company's adherence to relevant laws, regulations, and industry standards, providing proactive guidance to mitigate compliance risks.
- Collaborate with the executive team on legal aspects of mergers, acquisitions, and other strategic transactions, including due diligence and integration activities.
- Work closely with leaders throughout Corporate Departments (HR, Technology, Client Services, Finance and Accounting)
- Provide expert advice on employment law matters, including executive contracts, employee relations, and HR policy development.
- Oversee the protection and enforcement of the company's intellectual property rights and the necessary registration of intellectual property.
- Manage and oversee significant legal disputes and litigation, engaging external counsel when necessary.
- Stay up to date with changes in relevant laws and regulations and ensure the organization is informed about potential impacts on the business.
Experience and qualifications for success
- Juris Doctor (J.D.) degree from an accredited law school and admitted to the bar with active status to practice law (preferably in Arizona, but not required)
- Deep knowledge of related laws and regulations relevant to a professional services organization, preferably in the environmental consulting space.
- Proven leadership experience at the senior management level.
- Exceptional communication and presentation skills, with the ability to effectively communicate complex legal matters to executives and non-legal stakeholders.
- Strong business acumen and the ability to align legal strategies with overall business objectives.
- Excellent negotiation and conflict resolution skills, with a strategic and solution-oriented approach.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple high-profile projects simultaneously and deliver results within tight timelines.
- Experience working in a corporate legal department or in-house counsel at the VP level is preferred.
- 10 years of progressive legal experience, including relevant experience in the Architecture, Engineering, Construction, or Environmental Consulting industry.
- Experience in an employee-owned or ESOP (Employee Stock Ownership Plan) company
SWCA Environmental Consultants is a growing employee-owned firm, providing a full spectrum of environmental services. With offices across the United States, SWCA is one of the largest environmental compliance firms and ranks among Engineering News-Record’s Top 200 Environmental Firms.
If you would like to contact SWCA regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the online application process due to a disability, please email email@example.com or call 480-581-5378. This contact information is for disability accommodation requests only. All other inquiries will not receive a response.
SWCA is committed to salary equity and salary transparency for all its employees. In alignment with this commitment, SWCA posts good faith pay ranges on all its advertised job postings to promote pay equity and transparency.
An employee in this Phoenix, AZ office-based position can expect a salary of $190,000–$240,000/year. Actual pay within this range may depend on experience, qualifications, geographic location, client requirements where applicable, and other factors permitted by law. Regular-status employees are also eligible for performance bonuses. Candidates are also encouraged to consider SWCA’s Total Rewards package, which includes a competitive Benefits package, forward-thinking workplace flexibility, outstanding corporate culture, award-winning career development, and more.
EOE - women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply.