The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
a leading global water technology company.
Xylem, a leading global water technology company dedicated to solving the world’s most challenging water issues, is the leading global provider of efficient, innovative and sustainable water technologies improving the way water is used, managed, conserved and re-used. Our international team is unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology and other trusted solutions to solve the world’s water challenges. We are committed to creating an organization of inclusion and diversity, where everyone feels involved, respected, valued and connected, and where everyone is free to bring their authentic selves and ideas.
If you are excited and passionate about helping us #letssolvewater, we want to hear from you!
The Role: Xylem is looking for a UX Design Lead to join our distributed and growing group of designers. You will work alongside engineers, product managers, and other designers to create simple and powerful products, and work provide direction and feedback to a team of designers.
The UX Design Lead position is in many ways a split role. You should have a keen eye for detail and color, an ability to ask the right questions and know when to ask them, stellar communication skills, and a passion for creating products that balance simplicity and intuitiveness with complex data across a variety of devices. You should also be able to provide leadership and mentorship to a team of designers, providing feedback and direction as needed.
Xylem is focused on helping utility companies to understand their data in order to reduce costs and improve their operation. We’re looking for people who are passionate about design, patient and confident in their communication, and who change directions quickly. If this sounds like you, then we want to talk!
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- You will lead the charge in designing an integrated platform experience across varied products and solutions.
- You will work collaboratively with designers, product managers and engineers to deliver compelling solutions for our users. You’ll help lead the projects and their directions across the entire lifecycle and launch.
- You will design and communicate intuitive user experiences through a deep understanding of the problem, our customer’s, and their needs.
- You consider problems from multiple angles and explore different approaches until you’ve identified the best solution.
- You will lead a small team of designers focused on a key part of our business, who are working on complicated projects and will need mentorship and leadership and direct feedback on their work.
- You will know how and when to conduct user and market research, and understand how to look at the results.
- You will create low fidelity wireframes to communicate early stage concepts, create high fidelity mockups to communicate final ideas, and all of the other things in-between.
- You will work with the rest of design to develop, follow, and promote long term UX design thinking and guidelines.
- Participation in Xylem Watermark volunteer activities
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- BA/BS degree or equivalent work experience
- 5+ years experience as a UX designer or similar.
- Strong skills in developing and presenting slides to communicate your designs to peers and executive stakeholders.
- Experience with Agile/Scrum
- Highly proficient in Figma
- Demonstrate and communicate your UI/UX design skills with a strong portfolio.
- Mentor teams and lead projects and initiatives.
- Experience creating prototypes that satisfy the different needs that arise through the life or a project, and enjoy all stages of app design, from sketching to polishing
- Up-to-date with the latest UI trends, techniques, and technologies.
- Fantastic team player, communicator and facilitator and enjoy working with others to solve complex problems
- Experience with Storybook
- Experience with zeroheight
- Water industry or industrial experience
We Offer You More Than Just “A Job”
- Professional Development – To advance the capabilities of our people, we offer a wide variety of experiences to support our employees’ professional growth and continuous learning.
- Total Rewards – We offer comprehensive programs for compensation, benefits, recognition, learning and development, work-life integration and corporate citizenship.
- Watermark – Watermark is our corporate social responsibility program working to provide education and access to safe water to ensure healthy lives, gender equality, and resilient communities. Employees have the opportunity to learn and volunteer on various water-related projects.
- Employee Networks – Our Employee Networks provide a professional, supportive network for employees from diverse backgrounds, including Women’s, LGBT+ and Allies, Veteran’s, People of Color and Allies, Hispanic Origin & Latin Affinity, Emerging Leaders, Working Parents Networks and Non-Native English Speakers and Allies.
Physical Demands/Work Environment:
(The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those an employee encounters and must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend and move about the facility
- Office: Standard office equipment; work usually performed in an office setting free from any disagreeable elements.
- Standard weekly job hours: 40 hours
- Travel: 10% or less
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.