Overview / Responsibilities
Wood perform consulting and EPCM services for many of Canada’s gas processing, power generation, and power distribution companies.
Wood currently has an exciting opportunity for a Transmission Line Engineer-inTraining. Reporting to the Engineering Manager, Transmission Lines, this position is located in our Calgary or Vancouver offices. If you have a successful track record and thrive on challenges in a fast paced environment, this is the opportunity for you.
- Supporting engineering projects by creating detailed scopes and estimates, performing engineering calculations, developing detailed plan and profile design drawings, modeling using the highly specialized, custom-purpose software: PLS-CADD
- Designing structures for high voltage transmission lines using PLS-POLE, PLS-TOWER
- Engineering of transmission line projects from ‘definition phase’ through the ‘implementation phase”.
- Preparing staged design review packages in accordance with client’s standards and maintaining detailed documentation of designs and calculations
- Providing procurement support to prepare material specifications, requisitions and technical evaluation of bids
- Providing construction support and overall project engineering coordination during installation and commissioning with the client and subcontractors
- Responding to information requests from site and completing project documentation including as-builts, calculations and return of data to the client
- Traveling and visiting project sites during project definition and execution
Skills / Qualifications
- Transmission, Electrical, Civil or Structural Engineering Degree from a recognized university along with a Professional Engineering Designation or eligibility for registration with APEGA
- 1-3 plus years of transmission line engineering experience is an asset
- Experience within a Transmission and Distribution Industry in EPC/EPCM organization designing transmission lines utilizing PLS–CADD/PLS-TOWER/PLS-POLE is an asset
- Knowledge of electrical aspects of power transmission system
- Knowledge of transmission line materials (structures, conductors/OHSW, OPGW/ADSS, insulators, hardware accessories and fittings)
- Direct experience on the safety aspects of the design of high voltage transmission lines
- Construction support experience for Transmission projects
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering, helping to unlock solutions to critical challenges in energy and materials markets. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in 60 countries, employing around 35,000 people. www.woodplc.com
Diversity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.