ABOUT THE POSITION
VHB’s growing Westbrook, ME office has an immediate need for a local Survey Crew Chief - Geomatics to join our Maine Survey team. VHB will consider out of state candidates willing to relocate with the right experience. Project work will be located in Maine, primarily in the transportation, energy and land development industries.
- Supervises members of the geomatics/survey crew
- Guides and redirects geomatics staff to stay on course with budget and schedule
- Formulates workflow plans to complete various types of geomatics projects based on instructions provided
- Oversees field operations surveys (e.g., boundary, topographic, control, construction, ALTA/NSPS, engineering, As-Built/post construction, reality capture)
- Analyzes and interprets public records research (e.g., deeds, plans, other pertinent documents for the project)
- Supervises operation of data collection systems (e.g., manual and robotic total station, digital and auto levels, GPS instruments, reality capture equipment)
- Ensures accurate layout and measurement of land surfaces
- Ensures proper maintenance of equipment and vehicles
- Communicates with the public as needed
- Documents all phases of work through field notes, daily reports, and other project documentation
Skills and Attributes
- Thorough knowledge and extensive experience in the field using surveying equipment (e.g., GPS instruments, manual and robotic total station, reality capture equipment)
- Experience using various survey and/or reality capture software
- Solid knowledge of geomatics mathematics (e.g., fundamental geometry and trigonometry) and geomatics data collection principles, practices, methods, and procedures
- Proficient in reading and understanding engineering, architectural and structural drawings
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- 5+ years of geomatics/professional land surveying experience
- 3 years of progressive geomatics/survey crew chief experience in leading and supervising field crews
- High school diploma or GED
- Degree in Geomatics, Survey Engineering, or Engineering preferred (college degree can substitute for experience)
- Experience with AutoCAD, Civil3D desirable, but not required
- Experience with Microstation, Inroads and OpenRoads desirable, but not required
- Experience with Leica survey equipment desirable, but not required
- Experience with Geographic Information Systems (GIS) desirable, but not required
- Valid driver's license and clean driving record
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 50 lbs
WE ARE VHB! We’re an inspired and innovative team of engineers, scientists, planners, and designers who partner with clients in the transportation, real estate, institutional, and energy industries, as well as federal, state, and local governments. Our work helps improve mobility, enhance communities, and contribute to economic vitality. We do this while balancing development and infrastructure needs with stewardship of our environment.
Our people make us great! VHB provides a differentiating employee experience.
- Inclusive culture of collaboration and innovation.
- Opportunity to work on complex, transformational projects.
- Amazing co-workers
- A focus on learning and development
- Flexible, hybrid workplace
It’s not surprising that VHB has consistently been rated one of the top AEC firms to work for across our 30+ offices on the East Coast. We’re growing and we hope you’ll join us!
VHB is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.
Applicants must be legally authorized to work for VHB in the U.S. without employer sponsorship.