WHO WE ARE
Kids in the Game is dedicated to providing positive opportunities and experiences through sports and creative play. Every summer, we serve over a thousand NYC children through our summer day camps, which combine sports instruction with creative movement, arts and STEM enrichment, field trips, swimming, and more. We're committed to being the best part of every kid's summer!
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
We are looking for highly experienced and dedicated candidates who have a wealth of knowledge in the camp industry plus are interested in seasonal work. Camp Directors will provide a unique, energized, and positive environment at summer camp to create a memorable and safe experience for all kids! You will oversee all aspects of camp management, and be supported by a team of assistant directors, division leaders, specialists, and counselors. Will you be communicating with parents, preparing camp newsletters, or answering a million little questions for young, inquisitive minds? Absolutely. You will also be a role model for our camp staff, training them in the skills they need to be successful in their camp roles and future careers. There’s no more fulfilling feeling than that!
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING
At Kids in the Game, we strive to be the best part of every kid’s day! As a Camp Director, you’ll be helping to make that a reality by being responsible for overseeing all areas of camp management in collaboration with the Kids in the Game main office. During the camp day, you’ll be immersed in every aspect of camp from leading morning rallies to supervising swim lessons and refereeing sports tournaments. At the end of the day, you’ll be able to participate in company wide staff events where you can mingle with staff from all of our camp locations across the city, hang-out, and unwind after a day in the sun! As a Camp Director, you can expect to:
- Dedicate time during the offseason to coordinate camp logistics with key departments (e.g. Marketing, Operations, People & Culture, Program Management, Community & Impact).
- Attend pre-camp orientations hosted by the Department of Healthy and Kids in the Game staff, and help to structure and coordinate training for your camp staff before and during camp.
- Assign staff to camp groups, assess their ability to work with different age groups, offer regular feedback to continuously improve staff performance, and administer staff evaluations twice per summer.
- Keep staff personnel files up-to-date and compliant with Department of Health regulations, and ensure that staff certifications are valid and on-site at all times.
- Ensure that all necessary forms are in place before a child enters any program, including up-to-date physicals, immunization records, registration forms, waivers, etc.
- Monitor daily camp enrollment and maintain accurate attendance records for staff and campers.
- Notify parents/guardians of children about session dates, camp trips, theme days and schedule changes well in advance, and remain accessible to parents throughout the summer.
- Ensure that all program equipment and supplies are ordered, available and properly maintained during the summer.
- Maintain and enforce all camp safety rules and policies; recognize, prevent and correct safety hazards; monitor the health and safety of all campers and staff.
- Act as a key player in problem solving staff/camper issues and parental concerns; be able to identify camper behavior issues and respond with corrective steps.
WHAT WE’RE GOING TO LOVE ABOUT YOU
Our ideal candidate would meet some or all of the following qualifications:
- Must have completed a physical exam and TB test within one year of the camp dates, pass NYS and national background checks, and be CPR, First Aid, and AED certified.
- Possess 2+ years of experience managing day camp or sleepaway camps with at least 60 campers.
- Possess your NYC Camp Director Certification (or be willing to attend the Orientation before Summer Camp 2023 begins)
- Be able to establish and maintain strong working relationships with fellow employees, participants, parents, and caregivers.
- Communicate in a timely and professional fashion with parents, caregivers, kids and staff across organization-wide communication channels (Slack, Email, Text, Google Calendar, etc.) and be able to interpret and understand both written and oral instructions.
- Attend and help lead mandatory Core Trainings and all-staff team buildings, before and during the camp season.
- Commit to working on an hourly basis during the school year to support camp planning efforts and commit to working eight weeks during the summer.
WHAT YOU’RE GOING TO LOVE ABOUT US
At Kids in the Game, you can expect to be welcomed into an engaging and spirited environment that emphasizes the importance of teamwork, communication, and collaboration. We are proud to foster an inclusive environment where our team members feel respected by and connected to one another. We value the unique experiences, perspectives, and passions of our employees, and we look forward to adding new personalities to our team.
DIVERSITY, EQUITY, AND INCLUSION:
- We are committed to creating a diverse, equitable and inclusive work environment for all of our interns and employees
- We recruit candidates from across the city, state, and country, from all cultural and socio-economic backgrounds
- We have developed partnerships with organizations that allow us to target our hiring practices to include chronically discriminated against or low-income groups, and improve their access to high-quality employment opportunities
OUR COMMITMENT TO SOCIAL IMPACT:
- We are a certified B Corp and we are dedicated to producing positive social impact for the children, families, and communities that we serve
- We provide training in what it means to be a certified B Corp and the relevant policies/procedures that enable us to produce positive social impact
- As a Summer Camp Director, you are part of our movement as a B Corp certified organization, and help to ensure our social impact initiatives and policies are implemented throughout our programs
- Pre Summer Camp Expectations: March or April to end of June - 10 to 20 hours per week supporting pre camp efforts
- Summer Camp Dates: Late June– August 2023 (8 weeks); Monday – Friday (7:00a – 5:30p)
- Locations Available:
- Greenpoint - 100 Dobbins St, Brooklyn, NY 11222
- Park Slope - 588 6th St, Brooklyn, NY 11215