Are you someone with strong leadership and technical capabilities? Do you enjoy building relationships and working collaboratively in a team environment with both internal and external stakeholders? Are you a thought leader, a trusted advisor and a problem solver? If you enjoy entrepreneurship and innovation in a flexible work environment, this opportunity is for you! As someone with excellent communication skills and business acumen, you will thrive in our fast-paced and agile environment.
Dillon’s Transportation & Facilities technical group is looking for a Structural Engineer (Facilities) to join our multidisciplinary team of professionals. In particular, your role will focus on participating in and reviewing structural engineering design and analysis activities in the Heavy Industrial Facilities functional team. You will have the opportunity to work on new and exciting projects while providing clients with a fully integrated and superior customer experience.
At Dillon, we work as one team. This position is available at any of the following offices: Fredericton, Saint John, Halifax and Sydney with the opportunity for flexible and remote work arrangements to help balance the competing demands of work and personal life.
What your day will look like
- Lead the conceptual, preliminary and detailed design of building components, lifting and rigging components, equipment support structures, and other non-building structural systems in heavy industrial facilities
- Lead the analysis and potential reinforcement of existing structural components for unusual loading conditions during equipment maintenance activities
- Review and approve the design and analysis work performed by engineers-in-training
- Participate in the technical and quality review process for engineering deliverables completed by your team members
- Conduct condition assessments of various structures and structural components and prepare technical reports and recommendations
- Review designs, drawings and specifications to ensure accuracy and conformance with applicable Codes and Standards
- Review of shop drawings and provide field services in design and construction
- Develop and manage discipline and/or project budgets and schedules
- Develop and implement innovative solutions to various engineering problems
Project Management & Technical Leadership (20%)
- Coordinate structural engineering team activities and support to project managers/technical staff in the delivery of single and multidisciplinary projects across the company
- Input to operating teams to facilitate productivity andworkflow planning
- Coordinate design team activities to maintain project schedules and ensure successful project completion
- Coordinate with sub-consultants and clients
- Provide technical expertise to the development and implementation of technical tools
- Generate new ideas and work within the strategic plan to bring innovative concepts to the practice
- Contribute to and encourage innovation on projects
Learning & Development (3%)
- Commit to personal-development and ongoing learning and professional development
- Input to the career development of junior staff, including technical direction, training recommendations, coaching and mentoring
- Contribute to Dillon’s corporate profile through active participation in professional associations and committees
What you will need to succeed
- A degree in civil engineering with technical electives in structural engineering topics. A graduate level degree with a focus in structural engineering is considered an asset.
- A license in good standing to practice as a professional engineer in the province of New Brunswick or Nova Scotia
- Five(5) to ten(10) years of relevant work experience
- Strong experience and proven competence in structural analysis and design
- Experience in the design of reinforced concrete and structural steel components
- Experience in the design of both building and non-building structures is considered an asset
- Experience successfully applying sound engineering analysis and judgment in situations that fall outside codified and standardized approaches
- Proficient in the full range of design activities, including preparation of preliminary and detail design drawings and reports
- Demonstrated knowledge of relevant structural engineering Codes and Standards
- Proficiency in the use of STAAD Pro or similar computer modeling and analysis software and familiarity with current AutoCAD and Revit software
- Proficiency providing technical leadership to a team of professionals
- Capable of working on and leading several projects at the same time and with projects in different stages
- Strong technical report writing skills
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills along with both verbal and written communication
- Ability to generate new ideas to bring value to our clients
- Ability to quickly implement proven engineering solutions where relevant and practical
Why choose Dillon
Dillon is powered by people who are technically proficient, passionate about socially important projects, and motivated to deliver superior, tangible results. We strive to remain at the forefront of technology and innovation, and are empowered to continually grow and develop.
We live our core values:
- Reliability: words result in actions that build trust;
- Achievement: do the work to hit the target;
- Continuous development: always learning; always adapting; always growing;
- Creativity: discover new possibilities;
- Courage: do the things that matter, especially when it’s hard;
- Inclusiveness: enabling belonging to draw strength from our differences.
In addition, we offer:
- Employee share purchase plan
- Dillon is 100% employee owned and share ownership is open to all employees.
- A competitive compensation package
- Comprehensive health benefits
- Generous retirement savings plan
- Student loan repayment assistance with matching employer contributions
- Flexible work hours and remote working options
- Dillon values its staff and the contributions that are made each day and understands that work arrangements can differ based on personal needs and business needs. We are taking a trust-based approach to oﬀer a variety of ﬂexible and remote work options to help balance the competing demands of work and personal life.
- Learning and Development opportunities
- As a knowledge-based business, the organic growth of our knowledge and skills occur through our work performance and roles. The creation and sharing of knowledge allows us to take local knowledge to scale, capture lessons learned through experience, and continuously improve service delivery. The development of self and others is an evident and measured core behaviour within our organization.
- We use a composite approach to development including coaching to build the how, mentoring to share lessons, advising to round out perspectives, and co-creation of knowledge through internal, learning opportunities.
- Focus on Innovation
- The ability to anticipate, examine, and adopt new and innovative solutions is a crucial driver for the continual and progressive advancement of our business performance. In our culture, people are empowered to reflect and question current practices and seek forward looking solutions to today’s problems and tomorrow’s opportunities.
- Employee and Family Assistance program
- A variety of EFAP tools and online resources to support well-being are available to all employees.
- Wellness Subsidy
- Our employees can take advantage of wellness subsidy that can be put towards expenses for a variety of health and/or wellness related activities such as gym membership, purchase of home fitness equipment, yoga classes and dance classes
Dillon is a proudly Canadian, employee-owned, professional consulting firm specializing in planning, engineering, environmental science and management. We partner with clients to provide committed, collaborative, and inventive solutions to complex, multi-faceted projects. With 20 offices and more than 1000 employees across Canada, Dillon offers a wide range of services related to building and improving facilities and infrastructure, protecting the environment, and developing communities.
Now operating for over 75 years, we continue to strive for excellence in everything we do. Dillon has been listed as one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies for the past 16 years and has the distinction of having achieved Platinum Club member status in this program.
Employment Equity, Diversity & Inclusion at Dillon:
Dillon is committed to the principles of employment equity, inclusiveness, and diversity within our organization. We strive to achieve a workplace where opportunities are based on skills and abilities and that respects and values differences.
Inclusion is more than a word to us, it is the way we choose to run our business.
Please connect with us if you require accommodation in the interview process. We would love to hear from you!