About the opportunity
SWCA Environmental Consultants is seeking a temporary Staff Archaeologist to assist with Cultural Resources management work within the Texas and the Gulf Coast region. Under the supervision of a Cultural Resources Lead, this position will perform field and office tasks while working with and supervising crew members.
In this role, you will manage all aspects of fieldwork, supervising one or more crews of archaeological technicians during survey, site recording, monitoring, or excavation projects. You may also assist with office-based tasks, including laboratory work, the preparation of site forms, and technical reports. SWCA offers a unique work environment specializing in delivering natural and cultural resources services across Texas and the greater Gulf Coast Region.
What you will accomplish
- Supervise one or more crews in fieldwork, including archaeological survey, testing, and monitoring, while ensuring quality and completeness of data collected
- Ensure that appropriate preliminary research is conducted and organized prior to fieldwork, and that necessary equipment, staff, and other resources are ready for fieldwork
- Accurately identify historic-era and prehistoric artifacts and features, and train less experienced field crew in their identification
- Assist with office-based tasks, including laboratory work, performing literature reviews, research, site form preparation, and technical report preparation, as needed
- Communicate effectively when reporting to Project Archaeologists, Principal Investigators, clients, and client representatives in the field, such as land agents, to facilitate successful project planning and logistics
- Work independently in a responsible manner, within defined schedules and meet deadlines
Experience and qualifications for success
- Bachelor’s degree in Anthropology, Archaeology, or related field
- Completion of an accredited archaeological field school or demonstrative equivalent
- Minimum of two (2) years working as a Field archaeologist
- Ability to travel and conduct fieldwork for long hours, sometimes in inclement weather (including high heat and humidity), rugged terrain, and at high altitudes
- Ability to carry equipment weighing up to 40 pounds
- Must have a valid driver's license, the ability to pass a Motor Vehicle background screening, and have access to reliable transportation.
- Master’s degree in Anthropology, Archaeology, or related field
- Experience working in Texas and the greater Gulf Coast region
- One (1) or more years of experience leading crews of field technicians on a variety of project types and sizes, regions, and agencies
- Experience collecting field data utilizing modern mobile technology (tablets with programs such as ESRI Field Map and Survey 123) and Trimble GPS units (Terrasync and/or ArcPad)
- Knowledge of federal and state preservation laws and regulations including, the National Environmental Policy Act, Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act, Section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act
- CPR and First Aid certified
- Currently reside in the Houston, TX vicinity or plan to relocate to the area in the immediate future
- Estimated time in the field is approximately 80-90%
- Project schedules may often include up to 12-hour days, 6 days a week for extended periods
- Hours worked over 40 hours per week are paid at time-and-a-half rate
- Single occupancy hotels paid directly by SWCA
- Per diem for full day, unless otherwise noted for specific projects
- Vehicles provided for projects
- Opportunity for advancement within SWCA
SWCA Environmental Consultants is a growing employee-owned firm, providing a full spectrum of environmental services. With offices across the United States, SWCA is one of the largest environmental compliance firms and ranks among Engineering News-Record’s Top 200 Environmental Firms.
EOE - women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply
If you would like to contact SWCA regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the online application process due to a disability, please email email@example.com or call 1-480-581-5378. This contact information is for disability accommodation requests only. All other inquiries will not receive a response.
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.