Pact is an international nonprofit that works in nearly 40 countries building solutions for human development that are evidence-based, data-driven and owned by the communities we serve. Founded in 1971, Pact works with partners to build resilience, improve accountability, and strengthen knowledge and skills for sustainable social impact.
Public Business Development (PUBD) - Pact exists to help create a world where those who are poor and marginalized exercise their voice, build their own solutions, and take ownership of their future. The Public Business Development team contributes to realizing this purpose by overseeing Pact’s new business development activities. Every member of the Public Business Development team at Pact is committed to sharing in the success of the organization, its peers, and individual accomplishments. The Public Business Development team is managed through a matrixed structure that promotes winning proposals through collaboration. The team offers team members, both experienced and new professionals, opportunities for learning and professional development. Ideal candidates bring positive energy to this dynamic work environment.
The Senior Proposal Manager leads new business activities with minimal oversight, working collaboratively with multiple Pact teams to execute regional, country, and Impact Area (IA) business development strategies and to guide Pact’s pursuit of new opportunities from identification, through pre-positioning, to award. The Senior Proposal Manager is responsible for large and complex bids, including those that involve co-creation, as well as ensuring coordination of work among other Proposal Managers. The Senior Proposal Manages brings a sophisticated understanding of clients/donors (particularly USAID, U.S. Department of State, and other bilateral donors) and plays a leadership role in the development of proposals that are responsive both to client/donor priorities and to community and partner needs. With an understanding of broader donor trends and objectives as well as Pact’s technical strategies, the Senior Proposal Manager convenes a wide range of Pact staff and teams worldwide, partners, and other stakeholders to identify and develop new business. Ideal candidates blend strategic, analytical thinking with program design, partnership management, and ability to develop winning proposals with tactical and interpersonal skills required for proposal management. Some international travel is expected; length of travel will range from one to two weeks at a time. The Senior Proposal Manager reports to a Business Development Manager and may supervise the work of Business Development Specialists on an ad hoc basis, as needed in the course of opportunity pursuit.
Pre-positioning and partnership developmen
- Lead pre-positioning efforts for identified bids in collaboration with Regional Directors (RDs), Country Offices (COs) and Impact Areas, including but not limited to: lead and conduct scoping trips with technical and other staff; identify and build relationships with potential partners including development of teaming agreements; and work with technical staff to conduct early design and planning
- Build and manage consortia of international and local partners, including negotiating partnership arrangements in collaboration with Proposal Champion and other members of proposal team
Proposal Management and Technical Proposal Development
- Serve as proposal manager and provide oversight of quality assurance, including facilitating bid conversations and ensuring that proposals meet funder requirements and deadlines as well as Pact’s quality standards
- Collaborate with RDs, CDs, and other CO staff, technical experts, and other Pact staff to conceptualize and design proposals for new project activities. Plan and lead design sessions.
- Lead the development and production of proposals as assigned, ensuring that proposals meet technical and compliance requirements
- Work with Pact’s HR team to identify high-quality personnel for proposals. Lead recruitment efforts when needed
- Provide other technical inputs, such as drafting language for management plans and capability statements, conceptualizing graphics, and serving as a color team reviewer
Cost Proposal Development
- Provide support to pricing team in review, copyedit, and format budget and budget narratives, as needed.
- Provide high level review of budget and budget narrative against technical proposal, as needed
Capacity and Resource Development
- Support development of resources and mentor and train staff on new business best practices, processes, and procedures as needed
- Develop and revise tools, templates, and other materials critical for proposal development processes
- Maintain accurate information about business development opportunities in internal databases and provide analysis of proposal development data; maintain accurate and timely electronic files; and ensure that relevant information is accessible to and circulated to the portfolio members
Strategy and Thought Leadership
- Support relevant stakeholders to implement business development strategy, including reaching annual revenue targets
- Represent Pact at external events, including conferences, meeting with partners, and other industry events
- Master's degree with six (6) years work experience or bachelor's degree with at least eight (8+) years work experience
- Proven successful track record with proposals to USAID, other USG funders (USAID, Department of State, Department of Labor, etc.), and/or other large international donors
- Knowledgeable in one or more of Pact’s technical areas (global health; governance; capacity development; livelihoods; or environment, energy, and extractives)
- Excellent interpersonal and team building skills
- Demonstrated skills organizing teams to produce high-quality proposals on tight deadlines
- Excellent planning and time management skills. Ability to multitask with ease, adapting to frequently changing priorities
- Ability to work efficiently under pressure and maintain quality, detail, and organization across multiple assignments
- Ability to supervise a team, building strong team relationships with HQ and field-based colleagues
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- Ability to travel internationally on short notice
- Graduate degree in a related field
- Overseas work experience in program design, implementation and/or evaluation
- Experience with Salesforce
- Working-level proficiency in French or Spanish