Social Media Internship Description
Free Press is seeking a virtual intern for our social media team! Join us as we work to realize a more just media system and society. The social media intern will be mentored by the social media manager and gain experience across issue areas and projects throughout our organization.
Location: Remote in the U.S.
Posting Date: February 7, 2023
Free Press and Free Press Action work to amplify the voices of people and communities in the crucial decisions that shape our media. We believe that positive social change, racial justice and meaningful engagement in public life require equitable access to technology, diverse and independent ownership of media platforms, and journalism that holds leaders accountable and tells people what’s actually happening in their communities. We work at the intersection of media and technology to strengthen our democracy.
Free Press is seeking a motivated, resourceful and tech-savvy individual to serve as a social media intern. The social media intern supports the social media manager to develop and implement outreach and promotional campaigns to boost brand engagement and increase revenue. They will work directly with the social media manager to craft and execute content for all platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, TikTok and Youtube. Applicants should have a strong level of experience with these channels, demonstrated writing ability, organizational skills, the ability to work both as part of a team and solo, and creativity to spare.
- Work closely with the social media manager to strategize, develop and execute social media campaigns
- Research social media trends on relevant platforms
- Identify and help create content for rapid response/relevant cultural moments
- Use social media tools for storytelling and conversion marketing
- Develop creative content: this includes, video content creation, light video editing and graphic design to help us tell the story of our work
Desired skills & attributes
- Understanding of the digital media landscape, including various social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, TikTok and YouTube) and social media analytics
- Excellent design skills and experience in creating designs in adherence to visual branding identity guides
- Excellent time management skills and project management experience in a fast-paced, deadline oriented environment
- Creative, collaborative, flexible and eager to learn
- Strong written communications skills
- Sharp attention to detail
- Familiarity with graphic design, video production, writing and storytelling
- A creative eye for design and production
- Experience using Canva
- A commitment to racial equity and experience working with communities of color
- A creative self-starter, able to move projects forward with limited oversight to accomplish agreed upon objectives and to evaluate results
- Able to navigate competing priorities and effectively adjust plans to respond to emergent challenges or opportunities
- Able to remain positive, tactful and composed under pressure
- A team player with a low-ego approach to collaboration
- Demonstrate excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
- Value and respect differences of race, ethnicity, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, ability and socioeconomic circumstance
- Dedication to Free Press’ mission of fighting for everyone’s rights to connect and communicate, in addition to the overall success of the organization.
- We consider applications from people who are currently enrolled in college or graduate school.
- Applicants must fulfill their academic institutions’ requirements for securing credit for the internship.
- Strong interest in media and technology issues and demonstrated experience working on those or similar issues
- Interest in expanding analysis and knowledge about the role that racial inequity plays in our society and our work. Demonstrated commitment to building and/or deepening commitment to racial justice work
- Attention to detail, flexibility and demonstrated capacity to operate in a fast-paced environment
- Must have ability to succeed in a predominately remote environment, including working with an off-site manager, adopting and maintaining strong digital security practices, and fostering connection and community with colleagues located throughout the U.S.
- Must have reliable and consistent access to high speed internet
How to apply:
Complete our online application at the link in the upper right corner.
We are actively seeking to build a diverse and inclusive team with a wide range of backgrounds, perspectives and skills. People of color, women, people with disabilities, lesbian, gay, bisexual, queer, transgender, gender-nonconforming and formerly incarcerated individuals are strongly encouraged to apply.
If you meet some of the qualifications above, we encourage you to apply or to reach out for more information. We know groups subjected to systemic oppression– including people of color, women, people from working class backgrounds, and people who identify as LGBTQ – are less likely to apply unless and until they meet every requirement for an internship. Therefore, we strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or who are members of other communities which are marginalized.
We provide reasonable accommodations for the application, interview, or any other aspect of the internship selection process to applicants with disabilities. Please email email@example.com to request an accommodation.
This position was posted on February 7, 2023. The application deadline is February 13, though we consider applicants on a rolling basis. Ideally, the internship will begin in late February.
What’s the time commitment and pay?
- This internship requires a 10–12 week commitment, typically between February-May, with the potential for continuation over the summer for enrolled students.
- Hours per week are flexible based on the applicant's availability, generally 10-15 hours per week during the spring semester. Hours will be determined and set in collaboration with the selected candidate prior to the start of the internship.
- A stipend of $2,000 - $3,600 is available for the spring semester and based on weeks and hours committed.
- Application deadline is February 13th, though we consider applicants on a rolling basis.