ABOUT THE POSITION
VHB’s growing Land Development Group is seeking an experienced Site Civil Design Engineer to support our Land Development practice. Potential for candidate to be based out of our Wethersfield, CT or Springfield, MA office.
- Technical and design report writing
- Work within a team of professionals in developing site civil engineering plans, reports, and specifications for a multitude of land development projects
- Civil engineering for retail, residential, institutional, renewable energy, and industrial site design including grading and drainage design, utility design, and site layout
- Preparation and/or reviewing design criteria, drawings, and specifications
- Compilation of Stormwater Management reports, including Hydrologic modeling and pipe sizing
- Preparation of schematic design, design development, and construction contract documentation
- Assist in the preparation of permitting, design, and construction documents
- Project task financial performance, and management of small or medium projects
- Engagement in business development and client relations
- Attending meetings with clients, regulatory agencies, and stakeholders to establish their needs and discuss design/permitting issues
Skills and Attributes
- Solid understanding of the typical land entitlement process including permitting at the local and state level preferred (Massachusetts or Connecticut)
- Knowledge of local and state regulations governing site design preferred
- Ability to think critically and creatively in a team-focused environment
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Experience preparing graphics and maps
- GIS, HydroCAD, and StormCAD experience a plus
- Attention to detail
- B.S. in Civil Engineering (a master’s may be substituted for 2 years of experience)
- 3-5 years of site/civil design engineering experience required
- EIT preferred
We are VHB! We’re an inspired and innovative team of engineers, scientists, planners, and designers who partner with clients in the transportation, real estate, institutional, and energy industries, as well as federal, state, and local governments. Our work helps improve mobility, enhance communities, and contribute to economic vitality. We do this while balancing development and infrastructure needs with stewardship of our environment.
Our people make us great! VHB provides a differentiating employee experience, which includes:
- Diverse and inclusive culture of collaboration and innovation
- Opportunity to work on complex, transformational projects
- Community and social responsibility as sustainable stewards
- Focus on learning, development, and career growth
- Best-in-class benefits, including flexible, hybrid workplace
We are consistently rated one of the top AEC firms to work for across our 30+ offices on the East Coast. We’re growing, and we hope you’ll join us!
VHB is a proud Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. Since our founding, we have intentionally fostered a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion—supported by deep-rooted core values, one of which is diversity. All individuals receive consideration for employment based on their qualifications without discrimination for race/ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, pregnancy, marital status, or any other basis protected by law.