Are you someone with leadership and technical capabilities? Do you enjoy building relationships and working collaboratively in a team environment with both internal and external stakeholders Are you a thought leader, a trusted advisor and a problem solver? If you enjoy entrepreneurship and innovation, this opportunity is for you! As someone with excellent communication skills and business acumen, you will thrive in our fast-paced and agile consulting environment providing your skills and expertise to our clients.
Dillon’s Communities and Environment technical group is looking for a Senior Water Resources Engineer to join our multidisciplinary team of professionals. You will have the opportunity to work on new and exciting projects while providing clients with a fully integrated and superior customer experience.
At Dillon, we operate as one team. This position is available in any of our Dillon Ontario offices (Chatham, Windsor, London, Kitchener, Guelph, Toronto, Oakville, Hamilton, Ottawa).
What your day will look like
Technical Project Work and Project Management (72%)
- Provide senior technical input for delivery of water resource management projects
- Provide technical input for complex or unique assignments
- Support multi-disciplinary projects or programs
- Direct, coordinate and supervise water resources related activities of engineering and design groups, both from a technical and functional standpoint
- Coordination with cross-disciplines to identify and incorporate relevant data pertaining to hydrologic and hydraulic parameters, system connectivity, discharge points, project constraints, and implementation considerations
- Undertake hydrologic and hydraulic modelling of urban infrastructure systems, including surface drainage, storm sewer networks, dual drainage systems, sanitary sewer networks, and combined sewer systems
- Interpret results of simulations to assess capacity, identify system deficiencies, and evaluate improvement alternatives
- Apply monitored and statistical data to models to simulate return-period and continuous scenarios, and to calibrate and validate results
- Provide project engineering and technical expertise, calculations, and design input to various stormwater management and drainage systems
- Model, analyze, and interpret results via technical documents and reporting
- Undertake studies, assessments, modeling, preliminary and detailed design, cost estimates, specifications, and input to contract documents
- Project components include project planning, technical evaluations, studies, preliminary design, final design, and services during construction
- Study evaluations include the analysis of alternatives, methods of implementation, and cost analyses
- Fulfill project plans in accordance with established scopes of work, budgets, and schedules to execute high quality projects
- Apply diversified knowledge of engineering principles and practices
- Develop new or novel concepts and approaches, and recommend major design changes
- Input to the career development of more junior staff, including technical direction, training recommendations, coaching and mentoring
Business Development (25%)
- Contribute to business development activities including the preparation of project proposals and presentations, and client liaison.
- Business travel to other Dillon offices upon request.
Learning & Development (3%)
- Commit to self-development and ongoing learning and professional development.
- Input to the career development of junior staff, including technical direction, training recommendations, coaching and mentoring.
- Contribute to Dillon’s corporate profile through active participation in professional associations and committees.
What you will need to succeed:
- Masters or Undergraduate degree in engineering with a focus on water resources
- Licensed to practice as a professional engineer in Ontario, or eligible to be licensed within six months
- 10+ years’ relevant experience in a consulting environment on water resources engineering projects
- Experience with analysis and design, field data collection;
- Experience with completing master drainage studies and urban stormwater drainage assessments
- Experience in supporting Environmental Impact Assessments related to mine/industrial water management;
- Collection and interpretation of climatologic and hydrometric data, including statistical/frequency analysis and the development of climate projections.
- Working knowledge of XP/ PCSWMM, HEC-RAS/HMS, and related computer models
- Familiarity with water balance and continuous simulation modelling
- Excellent communications, report writing, organization and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work in a collaborative, team environment
- Excellent initiative and attention to detail
- Business development and proposal preparation and submission management
- A self-motivated individual looking for advancement opportunities
Why choose Dillon
Dillon is powered by people who are technically proficient, passionate about socially important projects, and motivated to deliver superior, tangible results. We strive to remain at the forefront of technology and innovation, and are empowered to continually grow and develop.
We live our core values:
- Reliability: words that result in actions build trust;
- Achievement: do the work to hit the target;
- Continuous development: always learning; always adapting; always growing;
- Creativity: discover new possibilities;
- Courage: do the things that matter, especially when it’s hard; and
- Inclusiveness: enabling belonging to draw strength from our differences.
In addition, we offer:
- Employee share purchase plan
- Dillon is 100% employee owned and share ownership is open to all employees.
- A competitive compensation package
- Comprehensive health benefits
- Generous retirement savings plan
- Student loan repayment assistance with matching employer contributions
- Flexible work hours and remote working options
- Dillon values its staff and the contributions that are made each day and understands that work arrangements can differ based on personal needs and business needs. We are taking a trust-based approach to oﬀer a variety of ﬂexible and remote work options to help balance the competing demands of work and personal life.
- Learning and Development opportunities
- As a knowledge-based business, the organic growth of our knowledge and skills occur through our work performance and roles. The creation and sharing of knowledge allows us to take local knowledge to scale, capture lessons learned through experience, and continuously improve service delivery. The development of self and others is an evident and measured core behaviour within our organization.
- We use a composite approach to development including coaching to build the how, mentoring to share lessons, advising to round out perspectives, and co-creation of knowledge through internal, learning opportunities.
- Focus on Innovation
- The ability to anticipate, examine, and adopt new and innovative solutions is a crucial driver for the continual and progressive advancement of our business performance. In our culture, people are empowered to reflect and question current practices and seek forward looking solutions to today’s problems and tomorrow’s opportunities.
- Employee and Family Assistance program
- A variety of EFAP tools and online resources to support well-being are available to all employees.
- Wellness Subsidy
- Our employees can take advantage of wellness subsidy that can be put towards expenses for a variety of health and/or wellness related activities such as gym membership, purchase of home fitness equipment, yoga classes and dance classes
Dillon is a proudly Canadian, employee-owned professional consulting firm specializing in planning, engineering, environmental science and management. We partner with clients to provide committed, collaborative, and inventive solutions to complex, multi-faceted projects. With over 20 offices and more than 900 employees across Canada, Dillon offers a wide range of services related to building and improving facilities and infrastructure, protecting the environment, and developing communities.
Now operating for over 75 years, we continue to strive for excellence in everything we do. Dillon has been listed as one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies for the past 15 years and has the distinction of having achieved Platinum Club member status in this program.
Employment Equity, Diversity & Inclusion at Dillon:
Dillon is committed to the principles of employment equity, inclusiveness, and diversity within our organization. We strive to achieve a workplace where opportunities are based on skills and abilities and that respects and values differences.
Inclusion is more than a word to us, it is the way we choose to run our business.
Please connect with us if you require accommodation in the interview process. We would love to hear from you!