Heifer International is an equal-opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender,
gender identity, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or
status as a qualified individual with disability.
The Senior Vice President, Business Development and Partnerships (SVP BD&P), is responsible for leading the collaborative effort across the global organization resulting in a significant increase in Heifer’s awards-based revenue and range of partners that provide strategic impact to program goals. Reporting to the Chief of Mission Effectiveness, the SVP will achieve growth through building one unified business development goal, strategy, and culture across Heifer’s global business development network. The SVP will collaborate with Area SVPs, Program Teams, and Heifer Netherlands to advance business development strategies and will have direct management of a central Business Development & Partnerships team that Institutions, Global Partnerships and Alliances (GPA), Tier 1 Foundations, and Proposal Design Hub, The SVP will work in collaboration with, and service to, Area and Country teams to ensure realistic revenue targets are aligned to a Heifer-wide target and program objectives. The SVP will ensure a service orientation in central teams to support strategic pipeline development, high-quality proposals, improved and efficient business development and partnership processes across project identification, design, and hand0off to implementation, and ultimately achieve aggressive growth targets that diversify Heifer’s revenue base and scale program impact.
By the end-of-first-year, the SVP BD&P will have led the collaborative effort establishing a shared global goal and strategy; a set of common KPIs used across all Business Development - BD&P and area teams; improved working processes across Heifer’s Business Development network; and a strategic and robust pipeline of funders, partners and opportunities – driving the path to growth.
Essential Job Functions
A. Increase annual awards-based revenue from $20M+ to more than $50M+ in the next five years, in collaboration with all business development teams, which supports scaling program impact, diversifying Heifer’s revenue while leveraging local resources:
- Lead development of shared revenue and growth goals for Heifer and related key performance indicators in conjunction with Area/Programs teams.
- Lead global business development strategy across teams, to be executed in local and regional contexts and establish one organization-wide culture of business development and collaboration.
- Manage goals and strategy through agreed key performance indicators at local, regional, and global levels, ensuring visibility of management information for business decisions at each level.
- Collaborate with the Areas/Programs teams in opportunities – supporting design and proposal writing and ensuring project administration follows the established opportunity pipeline plan. Provide direct support to large opportunities, especially with global donors. (3 Area SVPs, 7 Area BD and Area and Country teams)
- Direct management of the central Business Development & Partnerships team towards goal, in service of Heifer’s programmatic developments and impact – including institutions, GPA, Foundations, and Proposal Design Hub. (5 direct reports, oversight of 12+in BD&P teams).
- Lead collaborations and matrixed relationships with area business development teams, Heifer Netherlands, program-related initiatives (e.g. PWI, HIC, C4E), Resource Development and Operations, and Philanthropy, as appropriate, ensuring Signature Program growth and sustainability while driving increased revenue through business development and partnerships.
B. Strategic development of opportunity and partnership pipeline that builds a strong base for awards growth, leverages local resources and blended finance opportunities, and contributes to Heifer’s Signature Program development:
- Collaborate with area business development teams in the identification of funders and partners who can support with funding, complementary expertise, or resources in-kind.
- Lead and collaborate in positioning and relationship building to target and cultivate identified partners and funders toward long-term strategic relationships.
- Integrate in opportunities for identification and development with Heifer teams that have potential to increase positioning and add leverage including Heifer Impact Capital(HIC), Care for the Earth (C4E), and Power, Water, Internet (PWI).
- Identify networks, alliances, and forums for positioning Heifer; mobilize key staff to best represent Heifer ensuring extensive networking in Washington DC, and the pursuit of strategic opportunities in Europe, Africa, Asia, and Americas.
- Ensure that Heifer is represented at major events and fora including serving as a representative where expertise fits. In collaboration with Business Development leaders and Communications, suggest opportunities for positioning with institutional donors, corporations, and foundations that highlight Heifer as a partner of choice.
- Lead awareness-building approaches with VP Communications and across the Business Development Network, that demonstrates the potential through partnering with Heifer, for exponential impact and resilience by leveraging resources from the community, local and national government, local financial institutions, and other development stakeholders.
C. Assure effective Heifer business processes across the business development network in support of the increased awards-based revenue.
- Manage Heifer proposal processes through leadership of Proposal Design Hub – a centralized service group set up to support across the business development network, high-quality proposal designs, and submissions while stewarding the proposal development process and tools.
- Support proposal teams, especially on large opportunities with global donors and partners, requests for proposals (RFP) / applications (RFA), co-creation, concept notes, and pitch opportunities. Advise on strategy and sharing best practices with teams as well as providing strategic advice and guidance to colleagues preparing proposals. Support Heifer teams in driving Heifer’s strategic interests locally-led development capability into proposals and positioning with the donor community.
- Ensure that design and submissions are centered on evidence, performance, and economic analytics contributing to Heifer’s 10 million households goal through Signature Programs.
- Integrate with Resource Development Operations to ensure tools, system, and process alignment that support strategy, ensure data and visibility of results and so enable management across the whole.
D. Lead proactive adaptation of Business Development and Partnerships strategies across Heifer to respond to emerging trends, shifts in the landscape, and turbulent political economies, shifting government and partner priorities, and changes in development funding:
- Establish a shared knowledge and understanding of donor and partner landscapes and intelligence through market research, news/key development alerts, and other sources of industry knowledge and clearly articulate the related projections to the team.
- Integrate into Heifer’s Business Development and Partnerships working knowledge of partnerships with local actors engaged in the geographies of Signature Programs and opportunities for leverage and financing.
- Proactively monitor any implications of broader political and economic shifts to business development and partner landscapes, interpret shifts in the environment and implications for Heifer’s development model, ways of working, and funding and financing model. Then, collaborate with teams in adapting business development strategies where necessary.
- Test new emerging opportunities to expand the traditional landscape of donors and partners.
E. Engage in Heifer’s ongoing strategy evolution bringing the Business Development and Partnership perspective to organizational discussions, learning, strategy setting, and performance management.
- Serve on Division leadership team aligning Business Development and Partnership goals with broader Mission Effectiveness strategies and goals.
- Participate in senior meetings such as Heifer Cabinet, Annual Planning, and Performance management.
- As requested, engage with Heifer’s Board in support of CEO Objectives.
Education and Experience:
- Master’s Degree in International development, business or political science, or other related field.
- Minimum of 15 years of experience in international development and/or business at a large organization, including institutional relationships, foundation relationships, and private sector relationships and partnerships.
- Minimum of 10 years of management level experience.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities (KSA) Required:
- Solid knowledge of the international development context, business development, and program execution in agriculture value chains, at country, regional and global levels.
- Proven track record of securing annual and multi-year funding from funders such as major institutions, tier one foundations, government agencies, and non-traditional funders.
- Demonstrated ability of transferring practical experience to development of systemic processes driving change.
- Previous experience supervising staff, including demonstrated ability to coach, mentor, and build capacity of teams.
- Demonstrated skills in cross-functional work across multiple teams and geographies
- Demonstrated ability to work in complex-matrixed relationships and driving change through influence and collaboration as well as direct management.
- Demonstrated ability to manage in a changing environment, with internal resilience and ability to lead others through change.
- Excellent writing, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Strong organizational and analytical skills.
- Fluency in English, both spoken and written is essential and ability to speak Spanish or French preferred.
- Experience living and/or working outside the United States in environments similar to the countries where Heifer works.
Individual works primarily in a virtual office environment.
Substantial travel – up to 30 % per year.
The expected base salary range for this position is $145k to $185k USD annually. Placement within the range will be based on the competency level of the candidate:
Minimum: Entry level, meets minimum qualifications. Needs guidance and training to perform key responsibilities of the job
Midpoint: Experienced and fully competent. Can independently perform all responsibilities of the job
Maximum: Highly experienced and can perform at a higher level than expected
_**Disclaimer: Salary ranges are based on country location and local country salary scales.
WHAT WE OFFER:
Heifer International offers a variety of benefits for U.S.-based employees working 30 or more hours per week.
- Health and wellness benefits including Flexible Spending Account and/or Health Saving Account
- Employee assistance program
- 403(b) retirement plan (match 1% employee to 2% employer up to a maximum of 4% match + 3% employer discretionary contribution regardless of employee contribution)
- 22 vacation days in addition to 12 statutory and discretionary holidays, and 10 sick days per year
- Employer-paid life insurance and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D)
- Professional development and annual merit increase opportunities
- Optional critical illness insurance, legal assistance plan and pet protection
- And more!