Local Unit & Position Description
Risk Management Southern Europe, Middle East and Africa (SEMEA) is seeking a talented Consultant with a proven ability to tackle complex technical challenges, to join a fast-paced technical safety consultancy at the cutting edge of risk analysis techniques. This is a great opportunity to be part of a team that is a trusted voice to tackle global transformations such as the decarbonisation of energy networks. In particular, we are currently very active in exploring the safe production, transmission, distribution and application of hydrogen as a source of energy; yet also addressing the safety risk in the (floating) offshore arena is a particular development area.
Risk Management SEMEA unit collaborates with other similar units in region SEMELA (Southern Europe, Middle East, Africa and Latin America) together forming a big resource pool of approximately 120 colleagues in the Service Area Markets, Risk Management and Power Grid. Risk Management provides a wide range of safety engineering, asset and enterprise risk management services to the energy industry, using a comprehensive range of tools for consequence modelling and risk analysis.
The role of the Consultant sits within Risk Management and will be based in Paris or Lyon, but there will also be a requirement to travel in France or overseas for client-related work. The Consultant reports to a Head of Section and has responsibility for project management and delivery of projects under the guidance of the senior members of the team. The role includes customer interaction to discuss project schedule / delivery, technical issues and solutions.
- With the guidance of experienced personnel as appropriate, project manage and work on projects to deliver solutions to customers to the satisfaction of the Manager/Project Sponsor, i.e. within the required timeframe, cost and quality standards while delivering the planned profit for DNV.
- Apply consequence and risk assessment tools and techniques as appropriate (e.g. HAZID, EDD, DRA, QRA, FRA, ERA, Consequence Analysis and other formal safety studies), demonstration that risks are ALARP and other areas required by the client’s need to comply with legislation
- Support production of full close out reports to clients (identifying where possible further business opportunities for DNV).
- Communicate with internal and external stakeholders; support efforts to win external work and manage bids on new projects.
- Actively seek to improve delivery processes through innovation.
- Develop experience and expertise across project and team activities; provide professional support and guidance to less experienced personnel.
- Take personal responsibility for self-development. In conjunction with the line manager, prepare a development plan which reflects agreed areas of required personal / technical development
- Operate within formal QA standards and project procedures.
- Work within the guidelines of agreed Health and Safety requirements for the business.
- Carry out other reasonable duties/tasks as required, to deliver and meet the objectives of the Service Area Markets, Risk Management and Power Grid
Our teams are a varied group and we value the diversity of expertise and thinking that this brings. We do however believe that there are some critical elements that enable our people to thrive and succeed in this exciting opportunity.
To qualify, the successful candidate needs to have:
- Master’s degree in engineering or equivalent (Process Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Risk Engineering, Physics, Mathematics or other relevant)
- Significant relevant industrial experience within the safety risk domain (> 6 yrs) including French regulatory requirements
- Excellent numerical and strong analytical skills - able to analyse and understand complex solutions and ideas using domain knowledge and a range of techniques/ theory and software/ tools
- Experienced user of consequence and risk analysis software (e.g. PHAST, SAFETI), and proven ability to tackle a variety of projects
Additional valuable qualifications:
- Fluent in French and English
- Excellent verbal communications skills – ability to communicate with all levels in an organisation as well as external customers and manage projects effectively
- Excellent report writing and presentation skills, in both French and English
- Flexible attitude to working in a fast-paced and multi-disciplinary consultancy environment
- When required, a willingness to work out of different offices to rapidly expand skills and company service knowledge
- Willingness to operate and excel in a “Doer – Seller” model
- Willingness to coach and develop others
- A strong company culture with an emphasis on competence development
- Great colleagues who value teamwork and support
- Attractive total compensation package
- International working environment
- Hybrid working model (3 days in the office, 2 days working from home)
- Interesting and challenging projects, both national and international
- Be part of a world-leading company that has a global reach with more than 12 000 employees around to world and is headquartered in Norway
- The possibility to grow and develop your competencies and ambitions within DNV
Company & Business Area Description
DNV is the independent expert in assurance and risk management, operating in more than 100 countries. Through our broad experience and deep expertise we advance safety and sustainable performance, set industry benchmarks, and inspire and invent solutions.
We provide assurance to the entire energy value chain through our advisory, monitoring, verification, and certification services. As the world's leading resource of independent energy experts and technical advisors, we help industries and governments to navigate the many complex, interrelated transitions taking place globally and regionally, in the energy industry. We are committed to realizing the goals of the Paris Agreement, and support all stakeholders to transition faster to a deeply decarbonized energy system.
Equal Opportunity Statement
DNV is an Equal Opportunity Employer and gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without regard to gender, religion, race, national or ethnic origin, cultural background, social group, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age or political opinion. Diversity is fundamental to our culture and we invite you to be part of this diversity!