Global Communities works at the intersection of humanitarian assistance, sustainable development and financial inclusion to save lives, advance equity and secure strong futures. We support communities at the forefront of their own development in more than 35 countries, partnering with local leaders, governments, civil society and the private sector to achieve a shared vision of a more just, prosperous and equitable global community.
Global Communities is seeking a Senior Safety & Access Manager will manage the existing team for the duration of the deployment. The S&A Manager will conduct a thorough assessment of the Syria program security and access infrastructure that will include personnel capacities, governing documentation, procedures, facilities, equipment and general security culture of the organization and its staff.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assume direct line management for the S&A department providing support, guidance, and mentoring.
- Lead the S&A department should a critical incident occur.
- Oversees incident follow-up and detailed reporting of incidents.
- Coordinate and consult transparently with all department heads. to coordinate their activities with security and access so S&A can coordinate with local authorities, receive permission letters, and ensure it is safe to operate.
- Subject matter expert on all emergency preparedness planning and incident responses.
- Provide oversight and management for the safety and security for all Global Communities personnel and assets countrywide.
- Attend regular meetings with the Office of Global Security to provide progress updates and discuss any requirements for auxiliary support.
- Provide or arrange for travel briefings ahead of international travel into Syria.
Security Management Plan and Governing Documents
- Review current governing documents in place and work with the S&A team to ensure all are updated, context specific, and practicable, documents include (but not limited to) Security Plan, Manuals, Standard Operating Procedures and Risk Management Matrixes.
- Ensure risk/ threat matrixes for all areas of operation are updated through an inclusive process.
- Establish calendar for regular documentation reviews based on needs established by Senior Safety & Security Manager and disseminate to all staff.
- Conduct safety and security audit of all GC facilities making recommendations for improvement with detailed budget outlining associated costs.
- Conduct safety and security audit for all related equipment including but not limited to firefighting equipment and first aid kits establishing documented minimum standards for all.
Security and Access Team Capacity and Structure
- Assess the current S&A team structure and staff capacities to clearly define and document gaps within the first three months.
- Conduct on-the-job mentoring and capacity building of S&A team members.
- Recommend further training and capacity building resources and tools for the team including ToT (trainer of trainers) training for key individuals.
GC Field Team Capacity Building
- Develop and deliver training for all staff to ensure understanding of safety and travel SOPs relevant to each specific field location.
- Develop and deliver training for all staff on security awareness, defensive driving, first aid, incident reporting, or other prioritized safety and security related topics. Where not a subject matter expert, identify sources of relevant training and recommend staff to be trained.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
POSITION SPECIAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Minimum 25% travel to Syria, Iraq and possible other locations ranging from one to six weeks.
- Supervises the existing safety and access team during duration of deployment.
- Will be required to attend meetings outside of normal business hours, i.e., evenings and weekends.
- Undergraduate degree in a related discipline and a minimum of six years of related work experience or a minimum of ten years of related work experience.
- A minimum of 3 years’ prior experience working in emergency, conflict, post-conflict, or post-disaster settings.
- Previous experience working in remote management is considered an asset.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, including ability to effectively communicate across cultures and demonstrated ability to write required documents in a clear, concise, well-organized manner.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to prioritize in a fast-paced environment.
- Computer literacy, excellent knowledge of word processing, excel and PowerPoint is required. Experience working with remote management software and communication tools.
- Fluency in English, working knowledge of Arabic and/or Turkish highly desirable.
- A passion for the mission and values of Global Communities, and a commitment to equity and justice.
Global Communities is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment, without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Global Communities is committed to ensuring a safe and respectful environment for all staff, representatives, partners, participants, and anyone with whom Global Communities interacts worldwide, especially children and adults at risk. All Global Communities staff and representatives are explicitly prohibited from engaging in any activity that may result in any kind of breach of our safeguarding policies. In addition, it is Global Communities’ policy that it is the responsibility of anyone engaged with Global Communities to proactively build a safe and supportive environment in our work. All our staff and representatives are expected to conduct themselves in a manner consistent with this commitment and obligation.