Job Title: Senior Program Officer, VCS Program Development
Location: Remote - Worldwide (with significant overlap with US business hours)
Start Date: Immediately
Reports to: Manager, VCS Program Development
Verra is a global leader helping to tackle the world’s most intractable environmental and social challenges. As a mission-driven non-profit organization, Verra is committed to helping reduce greenhouse gas emissions, improve livelihoods, and protect natural resources across the private and public sectors. We support climate action and sustainable development with standards, tools, and programs that credibly, transparently, and robustly assess environmental and social impacts and enable funding for sustaining and scaling up projects that verifiably deliver these benefits. We work in any arena where we see a need for clear standards, a role for market-based mechanisms, and an opportunity to generate significant environmental and social value.
Verra manages a portfolio of standards, including the:
- Verified Carbon Standard (VCS) -- the world’s leading carbon crediting program, with more than 1600 registered projects in 80 countries, and accounting for two-thirds of all voluntary carbon market transaction volume.
- Sustainable Development Verified Impact Standard (SD VISta) -- a flexible framework for assessing and reporting on the sustainable development benefits of project-based activities.
- Climate, Community & Biodiversity (CCB) Standards -- to identify projects that simultaneously address climate change, support local communities and smallholders, and conserve biodiversity.
- Plastic Waste Reduction Program -- to enable robust impact assessment of new or scaled-up waste recovery and recycling projects around the globe.
A day with Verra’s collaborative Innovations Team might include
- Researching whether Verra’s current systems meet criteria from an external carbon market oversight organization and collaborating with the policy team to engage with external bodies developing criteria for voluntary carbon markets.
- Coordinating inputs on a document explaining planned updates to the VCS that is being prepared for consultation, including drafting a section of that document yourself.
- Presenting your research on and a proposal for a potential change to VCS Program rules or requirements to the Director of VCS Program Development and relevant Verra colleagues.
- Drafting communications and coordinating webinars to present ready-to-release updates to the VCS Program to stakeholders.
Specific functions you will be responsible for leading
- Research for and development of (including securing input, facilitating issue resolution, securing internal approval, and ensuring error-free drafting and formatting) updates to the VCS Program.
- Development and implementation of new or revised VCS Program rules and requirements resulting from or in anticipation of international and external voluntary carbon market requirements and best practices in coordination with the Legal, Policy and Markets team.
- Supporting the Legal Policy and Markets team in reporting on VCS Program to various carbon market governance initiatives.
- Coordination with colleagues working on quantification methodologies and program implementation to anticipate and initiate underlying updates to the VCS Program.
- Supporting stakeholder engagement in VCS Program updates, including running public consultation processes (communications, webinars, compilation of comments, etc.).
- Mentoring and serving as a resource to Verra colleagues on VCS Program rules and requirements and their interpretation.
- Research and data analytics on contemporary issues and policies affecting Verra programs, to support management decisions, compliance reporting, and the generation of evidence of Verra programs’ impacts.
You bring with you
At least four years of relevant professional experience working for an organization involved in international climate policy such as a standards organization, Non-Governmental Organization (NGO), government, consultant, greenhouse gas (GHG) reduction project developer, and/or validation/verification body.
Strong familiarity with international carbon market governance and integrity initiatives including Article 6 of the Paris Accord, the Carbon Offsetting and Reduction Scheme for International Aviation (CORSIA), and the Integrity Council for Voluntary Carbon Markets (ICVCM).
Demonstrated understanding of GHG accounting, carbon crediting programs, and sustainability science; understanding of the Sustainable Development Goals and ISO
Understanding climate change mitigation and project development, and an appreciation for the challenges and opportunities faced by practitioners in this arena.
Strong project management and attention to detail, including prioritizing, and ability to work across teams.
Culturally aware with the ability to work with stakeholders and partners from different countries and cultures.
Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
A relevant university degree; a master’s degree would be advantageous.
Fluency in English is essential. Fluency in other United Nations languages is advantageous.
In this role, you will grow and expand your expertise by
- Finding effective ways to ensure the quality of projects using the VCS Program and the credits they generate.
- Creating opportunities to scale climate mitigation opportunities within the VCS Program and to set the bar more broadly for the voluntary carbon market.
- Working at the forefront of a program designed to drive finance towards high-impact activities that tackle some of the most pressing environmental issues of our day.
- Working on challenges and opportunities faced by people taking action to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and improve livelihoods.
- Working with a committed, and focused team of professionals.
You will know you are successful, if
- You are seen as a reliable member of the team by your peers and manager.
- You build an appreciation for the challenges and opportunities faced by users of the VCS Program and can effectively ensure the quality of projects and programs certified under the program.
- Verra stakeholders consistently express positive feedback regarding your ability to collaborate to find workable solutions to challenges they face.
You will join a great team
- From diverse locations and professional/cultural backgrounds, including carbon market experts, project developers, consultants, policymakers, researchers, auditors, and more.
- Committed to driving finance at scale to projects and programs that advance climate action and sustainable development through high-quality standards and programs.
- Share a common set of values: Teamwork, Results, Integrity, Balance, and Exploration.
Compensation at Verra
To help us attract and retain top talent, Verra pays employees competitively to the market. In return, we expect each employee to, at a minimum:
- Meet expectations in terms of work effort and performance;
- Take the initiative to build the skills and knowledge needed to do their job effectively; and
- Embody Verra’s values.
For this position, the salary range is USD $72,207-$80,220 depending on experience.
We will recognize employees who go beyond expected performance with salary increases and/or promotions, but the bar for earning those rewards is high.
Salary is one component of Verra’s total compensation package which also includes:
- Top-tier health, vision and dental care, and life insurance;
- Verra contributions to each employee’s retirement plan;
- Verra contributions as required by national labor laws in countries where staff are located;
- Paid Time Off (PTO) comprising 22-30 days plus ten floating holidays, sabbatical after five years of service, and other leave allowances; and
- Funds to support professional development.
How to Apply
To apply, please send us the following:
- Cover letter (not to exceed one page)
- Resume/CV (not to exceed two pages)
*Please add app.bamboohr.com to your contact list to ensure you receive emails from us*
Verra provides equal opportunity for all job applicants and employees and is committed to providing a work environment free of discrimination. We conduct our recruitment and hiring without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital status, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, genetics, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, and local law.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.