About Outright International
Founded in 1990, Outright International strives to help lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex, and queer (LGBTIQ) people live safer, healthier, and more empowered lives worldwide. Working from its offices in 12 countries and global headquarters in New York City, Outright documents human rights violations, helps resource LGBTIQ movements and allies, and advocates for the rights of LGBTIQ people.
Outright currently seeks a Senior Officer of Major Gifts (SOMG). In recent years, Outright International has experienced significant growth in development revenue across categories. The Senior Officer of Major Gifts will play a key role in identifying new opportunities and supporting the continued growth of Outright in support of an ambitious five-year strategic plan. The SOMG will develop a multi-annual plan and cultivate, steward, and solicit major individual giving prospects with four- and five-figure gift capacity. They will also be responsible for leading major donor events annually in various cities. In addition, the SOMG will be responsible for ensuring Outright’s major donors have a meaningful and affirming philanthropic experience.
The position is based in New York City and may require some travel. The selected candidate will report to the Director of Development.
The new Senior Major Gifts Officer will be responsible for the management of a growing portfolio of donors and will spend their time doing the following.
- Develop a multi-year plan to retain, recapture, cultivate, steward, and solicit major donor prospects.
- Manage an active portfolio of 250+ donors and prospects; develop cultivation and solicitation strategies in line with Outright’s priorities and donor/prospect interests.
- Solicit gifts of $2500-9,999+ to reach Outright’s Individual Giving Team goals. Create goals for each individual donor/prospect in the portfolio based on the donor’s history of giving and an understanding of the prospect’s capacity and interests.
- Work closely with the Individual Giving Team to continue refining and enhancing the Major/Leadership Gift program in support of Outright’s Strategic Plan and organizational expansion.
- Oversee stewardship of a high-quality donor experience through developing individual relationships, meetings, correspondence, mailings, acknowledgements, and other meaningful opportunities to engage with the organization.
- Develop, lead and manage donor events in key cities, in coordination with Outright’s Development Team; write/deliver speeches and develop talking points for Executive Director, Board members and other notable speakers (i.e., “the pitch”).
- In close coordination with Outright’s Development Team, identify hosts and host committee members for key city events, as well as Outright’s annual Celebration of Courage Awards & gala.
- Identify and qualify new individual prospects through collaboration with the Board, staff, and leadership donors; includes a strong focus on planned giving.
- Represent Outright at external functions and events as requested.
- Lead tracking of revenue for this group of donors, and work with Finance as necessary.
- Maintain monthly reports and use this data to drive decision making.
- Other related responsibilities, as assigned
Skills and Qualifications
- A minimum of 6 years of professional history as a frontline fundraiser with a focus on individual donors and major gifts.
- An understanding and commitment to lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex, and queer (LGBTIQ) human rights in a global context.
- Thorough understanding of nonprofit fundraising and experience as a member or leader of a nonprofit development team.
- Proven track record of stewarding and closing four, five, six-figure gifts.
- Familiarity with the fundraising landscape in New York and other cities cited, ideally from work in other LGBTIQ and/or advocacy nonprofit organizations.
- Strong knowledge of and connections to LGBTIQ communities and social issues from lived and/or professional experience.
- Applications will be collected by an external agency, JMM Strategy Group. Please do not apply via BambooHR, and use this link instead.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "ORI SR MAJOR DONORS OFFICER"
- Send your resume and a cover letter in one document in pdf format
- No calls, please
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position has been filled. We strongly recommend that you send in your
JMM Strategy Group and Outright International strongly encourage women, people of color, people with disabilities, and members of the LGBTIQ+ community to apply. We do not tolerate discrimination on any level and are actively working to ensure that all people have access to the jobs and positions they are qualified to succeed in.