Job Title: Senior Manager, Validation/Verification Training
Location: Remote - Worldwide (with significant overlap with US business hours)
Start Date: Immediately
Reports to: Director, Auditing & Accreditation
With the rapid growth in carbon markets driving a new wave of project development, Verra is seeking a Senior Manager, Validation/Verification Training, to provide training and capacity building to validation/verification bodies (VVBs), accreditation bodies, Verra colleagues and other stakeholders on Verra programs. This is a new position in the Auditing and Accreditation Team, itself part of the Program Management Team (PMT). You will work alongside other Auditing and Accreditation managers and colleagues responsible for VVB quality control.
Verra is a global leader helping to tackle the world’s most intractable environmental and social challenges. As a mission-driven non-profit organization, Verra is committed to helping reduce greenhouse gas emissions, improve livelihoods and protect natural resources across the private and public sectors. We support climate action and sustainable development with standards, tools, and programs that credibly, transparently, and robustly assess environmental and social impacts and enable funding for sustaining and scaling up projects that verifiably deliver these benefits. We work in any arena where we see a need for clear standards, a role for market-based mechanisms, and an opportunity to generate significant environmental and social value.
Verra manages a portfolio of standards, including the:
- Verified Carbon Standard (VCS) -- the world’s leading carbon crediting program, with more than 1,600 registered projects in 80 countries that account for two-thirds of all voluntary carbon market transaction volume.
- Sustainable Development Verified Impact Standard (SD VISta) -- a flexible framework for assessing and reporting on the sustainable development benefits of project-based activities.
- Climate, Community & Biodiversity (CCB) Standards -- to identify projects that simultaneously address climate change, support local communities and smallholders, and conserve biodiversity.
- Plastic Waste Reduction Program -- to enable robust impact assessment of new or scaled-up waste recovery and recycling projects around the globe.
A day with Verra’s Auditing and Accreditation Team might include…
- Developing a comprehensive set of training materials for a series of training sessions on Verra program rules and requirements to deliver to VVBs.
- Publishing and online training for new PMT colleagues on conducting effective reviews of projects audited to Verra standards.
- Delivering, scoring and reporting results from an online VVB auditor qualification test.
Specific functions you will be responsible for leading...
- Develop and deliver general and specialized trainings, quizzes, tests, and exams for:
- VVB accreditation, auditor qualification and performance management.
- Verra PMT colleagues, to ensure that they conduct effective project reviews and VVB site assessment visits.
- VVBs and accreditation bodies, to ensure that they are knowledgeable about and kept up to date on program rules and requirements, and methodologies.
- VVBs and Verra colleagues on best practices related to the monitoring and assessment of social and environmental benefits, new technologies, such as and automated data gathering systems, and NCS requirements.
- Managing, monitoring, and maintaining training participation records, results, and qualifications.
- Overseeing the development and implementation of a system to identify and track training needs identified internally by Verra colleagues and externally by other stakeholders.
- Keeping abreast of updates to international sustainability standards, particularly ISO 14064, 14065 and 17029 suite to ensure Verra programs align with best practices, including attending IAF meetings and participating in ISO technical committees.
- Supporting the Director, Auditing and Accreditation, in their work to develop social and environmental accreditation programs accreditation bodies.
You bring with you...
- At least ten years of relevant professional experience, with at least three years working for or with VVBs or accreditation bodies, ideally doing GHG project certification or sustainable development project certification.
- Experience developing and managing online (e-learning) training/curriculums.
- Train the Trainer or similar training qualification.
- Demonstrated understanding of the standards and principles of auditing and the auditing techniques of examining, questioning, evaluating, and reporting.
- Experience working with the ISO 14064, 14065 and 17029 suite of standards.
- Cultural awareness with the ability to work with stakeholders and partners from different countries and cultures.
- A relevant university degree; a master’s degree would be advantageous.
- Fluency in English is essential. Fluency in other UN languages would be an advantage.
In this role, you will grow and expand your expertise by...
- Developing and implement training programs that will inform the work of VVBs undertaking validation and verification, accreditation bodies and Verra staff.
- Working with internal and external stakeholders to identify effective ways to improve the auditing process for projects and programs seeking Verra registration.
- Working at the cutting edge of an auditing program that is critical to driving finance towards high-impact activities.
You will know you are successful, if...
- Regular, impactful training is provided to VVBs, accreditation bodies and Verra staff that enables them to do their jobs better and performance at high level.
- The quality of audits conducted by accredited VVBs regularly meets rigorous quality standards.
- Verra does not have to return project documentation to VVBs due to poor quality
You will join a team...
- From diverse locations and backgrounds, including carbon market experts, project developers, consultants, climate negotiators, researchers, auditors, and more.
- Committed to driving quality so that finance can flow at scale to projects and programs that advance climate action and sustainable development through high-quality standards and programs.
- That embodies the values Verra has established for itself, which include Teamwork, Results, Integrity, Balance, and Exploration.
Compensation at Verra
To help us attract and retain top talent, Verra pays employees competitively to the market. In return, we expect each employee to, at a minimum:
- Meet expectations in terms of work effort and performance;
- Take the initiative to build the skills and knowledge needed to do their job effectively; and
- Embody Verra’s values.
For this position, the salary range is USD 90,474 – 102,830, depending on experience.
We will recognize employees who go beyond expected performance with salary increases and/or promotions, but the bar for earning those rewards is high.
Salary is one component of Verra’s total compensation package which also includes:
- Health, vision and dental care, and life insurance;
- Verra contributions to each employee’s retirement plan;
- Verra contributions as required by national labor laws in countries where staff are located;
- Paid Time Off (PTO), comprising 22-30 days plus eleven floating holidays, sabbatical after five years of service, and other leave allowances; and
- Funds to support professional development.
How to Apply
To apply, please send us the following:
- Cover letter (not to exceed one page)
- Resume/CV (not to exceed two pages)
*Please add app.bamboohr.com to your contact list to ensure you receive emails from us*
Verra provides equal opportunity for all job applicants and employees and is committed to providing a work environment free of discrimination. We conduct our recruitment and hiring without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital status, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, genetics, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, and local law.