Job Title: Senior Manager, Media Relations
Location: Remote - Worldwide (with significant overlap with US business hours)
Start Date: Immediately
Reports to: Senior Director, Media and Advocacy
Verra is a global leader helping to tackle the world’s most intractable environmental and social challenges. As a mission-driven non-profit organization, Verra is committed to helping reduce greenhouse gas emissions, improve livelihoods and protect natural resources across the private and public sectors. We support climate action and sustainable development with standards, tools, and programs that credibly, transparently, and robustly assess environmental and social impacts and enable funding for sustaining and scaling up projects that verifiably deliver these benefits. We work in any arena where we see a need for clear standards, a role for market-based mechanisms, and an opportunity to generate significant environmental and social value.
Verra manages a portfolio of standards, including the:
- Verified Carbon Standard (VCS)-- the world’s leading carbon crediting program, with more than 1600 registered projects in 80 countries and accounting for two-thirds of all voluntary carbon market transaction volume.
- Sustainable Development Verified Impact Standard (SD VISta)-- a flexible framework for assessing and reporting on the sustainable development benefits of project-based activities.
- Climate, Community & Biodiversity (CCB) Standards-- to identify projects that simultaneously address climate change, support local communities and smallholders, and conserve biodiversity.
- Plastic Waste Reduction Program-- to enable robust impact assessment of new or scaled-up waste recovery and recycling projects around the globe.
With the rapid growth in carbon markets increasing media attention and scrutiny to the field, Verra is seeking a Senior Manager, Media Relations to conduct proactive media outreach around key organizational initiatives and engagement moments; as well as placing profile and feature stories about the organization, the communities we impact, and the people we help. This position will be the point of the spear for brand communications designed to reach our key stakeholders, and to shape a narrative showcasing Verra’s importance, integrity, and impact. It will also support and provide guidance to the Manager, Rapid Response Media during all-hands-on-deck reactive opportunities.
You bring with you...
- 7-15 years of experience in media relations and the environment, including a working knowledge and existing relationships with the national and global environmental media corps.
- A proven ability to forge new relationships with journalists by understanding their beats, their needs and how to meet them.
- Excellent news sense and judgment, including not just insight into identifying items with intrinsic news value – but also the ability to shape stories so that they become news.
- Commitment to strategic media relations, with the ability to identify tactical outreach opportunities based on a deep understanding of your key audiences and the critical, at times surprising pathways to reach them.
- A commitment to meeting the climate challenge by supporting pragmatic, impactful solutions that are worth fighting for.
In this role, you will grow and expand your expertise by...
- Gaining an intimate understanding of carbon finance, which will become increasingly important as the world moves to net zero emissions in the coming decades.
- Becoming an integral part of the world’s leading environmental and social standard setter.
- Having the opportunity to advance as the need to communicate these complex strategies increases.
You will know you are successful if...
- You establish yourself as a trusted source of information for reporters covering the sector.
- You are able to answer inquiries, understand and explain the broader context in which we operate.
You will join a team...
- From diverse locations and backgrounds, including carbon market experts, project developers, consultants, climate negotiators, researchers, auditors, and more.
- Committed to driving finance at scale to projects and programs that advance climate action and sustainable development through high-quality standards and programs.
- That embodies the values Verra has established for itself, and which include Teamwork, Results, Integrity, Balance, and Exploration.
Compensation at Verra
To help us attract and retain top talent, Verra pays employees competitively to the market. In return, we expect each employee to, at a minimum:
- Meet expectations in terms of work effort and performance;
- Take the initiative to build the skills and knowledge needed to do their job effectively; and
- Embody Verra’s values.
For this position, the salary range is USD $94,635 - $107,569, depending on market standards and experience.
We will recognize employees who go beyond expected performance with salary increases and/or promotions, but the bar for earning those rewards is high.
Salary is one component of Verra’s total compensation package, which also includes:
- Health, vision and dental care, and life insurance;
- Verra contributions to each employee’s retirement plan;
- Verra contributions as required by national labor laws in countries where staff are located;
- Paid Time Off (PTO), comprising 22-30 days plus eleven floating holidays, sabbatical after five years of service, and other leave allowances; and
- Funds to support professional development.
How to Apply
To apply, please send us the following:
- Cover letter (not to exceed one page)
- Resume/CV (not to exceed two pages)
*Please add app.bamboohr.com to your contact list to ensure you receive emails from us*
Verra provides equal opportunity for all job applicants and employees and is committed to providing a work environment free of discrimination. We conduct our recruitment and hiring without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital status, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, genetics, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, and local law.