Local Unit & Position Description
Are you passionate about decarbonization of the grid? Are you excited to enable grid reliably to accommodate renewable energy? You can support us by analyzing projects helping our customers achieving these goals.
DNV – Energy’s Energy Advisory group has an exciting opportunity for a Senior HVDC System Design Consultant, in its Power System Advisory (PSA) Department. DNV Energy’s PSA team provides creative, cost effective and practical solutions to stakeholders in the power generation, transmission, and distribution systems. The Senior HVDC System Design Consultant must demonstrate vision and drive and be passionate about contributing to the growth and evolution of the PSA business in North America. The ideal candidate will be aware of market opportunities where we can differentiate and innovate, and they will manage commercial projects, delivering technical insight and provide customers with excellent customer service.
This position will ideally be based out of our Toronto (CA) office.
What You’ll Do
- Develop conceptual HVDC and AC transmission system designs, feasibility studies, CAPEX OPEX and availability assessments to address our customer’s transmission needs
- Perform electrical design and general arrangements of HVDC systems and substations
- Perform AC network studies, and Grid integration studies (power electronic devices integration into the AC grid)
- Contribute to preparing specifications and tender documentation
- Reviewing the OEMs design and study reports
- Witness commissioning tests such as type, factory- or site acceptance tests (FAT/SAT)
- Develop (or contribute to) clear and high-quality reports and commercial offers
- Contribute to developing our service portfolio / roadmap and the annual plan by monitoring and anticipating market developments
- Demonstrate industry engagement by participating in thought leadership, and represent DNV at conferences, in the technical literature and in standardization initiatives such as IEEE, IEC and CIGRE
- Perform business development with existing and new DNV Customers
- Coach junior consultants and help them develop their technical career path
What is Required
- You hold a PhD and/or master's degree in Power Systems, Power Electronics, or related fields within Electrical Engineering
- Your expertise includes conducting network studies, such as load flows and short circuit analyses
- Furthermore, you have a proven track record in power system studies, particularly in the integration of power electronic devices into AC grids
- Your knowledge extends to HVDC system-level topics, encompassing control and protection strategies, HVDC control validation studies, and real-time digital simulations in RTDS or equivalent environments
- You have successfully engaged in the complete HVDC project life cycle from at least one of the relevant HVDC disciplines
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills
- We conduct pre-employment background screening
What is Preferred
- You possess a deep understanding of network/grid codes and are familiar with US regulatory and planning frameworks and standards (NERC/FERC, IEEE P2800)
- Your proficiency includes working with power system software packages such as PSCAD, PSS/E, Dig SILENT, or their equivalents
- With over 10 years of hands-on and specialized work experience in the HVDC field, you bring a wealth of knowledge to the table
- You have a broad network with system operators, utilities, vendors and developers, and are recognized as a technical authority in your work field
- You have experience with multi-terminal HVDC and fault clearing strategies, as well as approaches to enable multi-vendor interoperability
- You have experience in working with any of the latest HVDC advancements, such as grid forming, fault blocking, etc
- You already contributing to CIGRE, IEC, and IEEE working groups
- You have experience in working with customers in North America
*Immigration-related employment benefits, for example visa sponsorship, are available for this position*
What We Offer
- Generous paid time off (vacation, sick days, company holidays, personal days)
- Multiple Medical and Dental benefit plans to choose from, Vision benefits
- Spending accounts – FSA, Dependent Care, Commuter Benefits, company-seeded HSA
- Special programs – Employee Assistance Program, ID theft protection, and accident and critical illness options for you and your family
- Employer-paid, therapist-led, virtual care services through Talkspace
- Company provided life insurance, short-term, and long-term disability benefits
- Tuition assistance
- Flexible work schedule with hybrid/remote opportunities
- Advancement opportunities
**Benefits may vary based on position, tenure, location, and employee election
How We Do It
We Care, We Dare, We Share
DNV is a proud equal opportunity employer committed to building an inclusive and diverse workforce. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit or business need, without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
DNV is committed to ensuring equal employment opportunity, including providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with a disability. US applicants with a physical or mental disability who require a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process may contact the North America Recruitment department (email@example.com). Information received relating to accommodations will be addressed confidentially.
DNV is proud to announce being named one of Houston’s best places to work in the 2022 Houston Business Journal – Best Places to Work competition.
For more information
Read more here
Diversity at DNV
Meet our Employees
Careers in DNV
Please visit our website at www.dnv.com
Company & Business Area Description
DNV is the independent expert in assurance and risk management, operating in more than 100 countries. Through our broad experience and deep expertise, we advance safety and sustainable performance, set industry benchmarks, and inspire and invent solutions.
We provide assurance to the entire energy value chain through our advisory, monitoring, verification, and certification services. As the world's leading resource of independent energy experts and technical advisors, we help industries and governments to navigate the many complexes, interrelated transitions taking place globally and regionally, in the energy industry. We are committed to realizing the goals of the Paris Agreement and support all stakeholders to transition faster to a deeply decarbonized energy system.