Who are we?
Svante is a rapidly growing clean energy technology company making commercial-scale carbon capture and removal a reality and enabling global industries to play offense in the fight against climate change that will accelerate the global transition to a lower-carbon economy. The growing success of our company is owed to our commitment to our people, our emphasis on our values, and our innovative technology. Passion is put into what we do every day.
The role: Senior Cost Estimator
Who are you?
As an original equipment manufacturer (OEM) of structured adsorbent bed filter & related rotary valve contactor and carbon capture process technology supplier, Svante is partnering with both world-class strategic supply chain partners and channel-to-market engineering/construction companies to deliver turn-key (EPC) carbon capture plant to customers with cost and schedule certainty.
As a Senior Cost Estimator, you will provide construction and total-installed-cost (TIC) and total-plant-cost (TPC) estimates based on engineering drawings, industry standards, and project experience for both demonstration pilot plants and industrial-scale carbon capture plants. You will play a key role in the implementation of Target Value Design principles and tools in the cost estimating processes and assists in the development of standardized and/or automated cost estimation processes. Other duties will include performing site visits, investigations, participation in job cost projections/ audits and constructability studies.
- Prepare capital cost estimates for the construction of industrial carbon capture plants and Total-Installed-Cost (TIC) including proposal, fair cost, conceptual, definitive design, study, Performance Measurement Baseline, and other critical areas.
- Review specifications and drawings/sketches for the preparation of cost estimates. Review detailed quantity takeoff of drawings or sketches performed by our EPC partners. Analyze alternative solutions and construction methods to increase competitiveness of the capital project. Recommend appropriate cost elements such as overhead, escalation, contingency, and profit. Prepare, maintain, review and revise life-cycle estimates for programmatic activities and line-item construction projects.
- Lead and promote efforts to find innovative estimating methods to generate consistent, cost effective and accurate solutions to tight schedules and quick turnaround on estimates for scoping and pre-FEED studies based on historical detailed cost estimate provided by our EPC partners. Implement the Target Value Design framework in keeping with lean project delivery standards (Integrated Project Delivery), embedding target costing and value engineering into the front-end-loading process, with the goal of enabling the team to “design based on detailed estimates”, and avoiding the classic paradigm of “estimating based on detailed designs” which can result in costly re-work late in the project lifecycle.
- Analyze alternative solutions and construction methods to increase competitiveness of the project.
Bring solutions to team with cost analysis. Identify and assess technical risks and recommend appropriate risk mitigation.
- Contribute to bottom’s up (crew & activity-level) estimates with a good understanding of production rates and key quantities.
- Identify labor, equipment, material and time requirements for various construction project cost elements.
- Interface effectively with Engineering/Construction partners to provide integrated TIC estimates.
- May be required to facilitate and support planning process for development of an integrated scope, schedule and cost baseline and baseline changes.
- Provide specific estimator support to line-item construction projects related to Total Installed Costs (TIC) and Total Plant Costs (TPC) includes the preparation of independent cost estimates, and the independent review and assessment of project estimates, A-E proposals, requests-for-proposals (RFP’s) and fixed-price bids.
- Provide support for various discipline stakeholder cost developments and budget reviews and audits, as necessary.
- Degree in Construction Management, Engineering or related degree.
- Preferred industry of experience in power, heavy industrial, gas separation, oil / natural gas pipeline and associated facilities, process facilities, or other utility type construction projects.
- Broad knowledge and ability to understand project scheduling, cost estimating, specifications, and engineering drawings for both scoping studies and FEED studies leading to FID.
- Capable of effectively create project cost estimates varying in value from $5M up to $500M.
- Experience with parametric cost estimating and/or factored cost estimating is preferred, including familiarity with the development of early stage conceptual estimates under AACEi 16R-90 “Conducting Technical and Economic Evaluations”, AACEi 59R-10 “Development of Factored Estimates” and knowledge of the US DOE’s Quality Guidelines for Energy Systems Studies: Cost Estimation Methodology.
- A keen understanding of the synergies between estimating, scheduling and control of cost. Knowledgeable about industry norms for engineering estimating metrics and ratios, and able to identify and explain reasons for any deviations.
- AACE certification, preferred.
- Experience with estimating software packages such as Timberline, Aspen Capital Cost Estimator (ACCE), Excel estimating tools or similar platforms. Skilled user of Microsoft Excel and the remaining Microsoft Suite of Applications.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office products (e.g. Excel, Work, Outlook, PowerPoint).
- Possess strong mathematical and computer skills.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Work independently as well as part of a team.
- Must be willing to travel or potentially temporarily relocate as the job requires.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Svante is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. Employment decisions are based on merit and business needs. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. This Equal Employment Opportunity policy applies to all practices relating to recruitment and hiring, compensation, benefits, discipline, transfer, termination and all other terms and conditions of employment. All Svante employees share in the responsibility for assuring that, by our personal actions, the policies are effective. Accommodations will be provided as requested by candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.