As the Construction Project Manager, you will be responsible to manage the project teams and activities during pre-construction and construction phases to final completion and handover to the customer.
The Construction Project Manager will have the following key responsibilities and deliverables:
- Manage and take accountability for deliverables of all aspects of the project. Project management in accordance with Mainstreams Construction Project Management guidelines and procedures.
- Define realistic project goals and objectives with individual team members and other stakeholders
- Project tracking and review – monitor, track and control outcomes, identify and manage risks, resolve conflicts, identify essential dependencies and ensure delivery of critical path activities
- Develop and execute a communication strategy for all the different project stakeholders, including reporting on (inter alia) project status, progress, safety metrics, project risks, environmental compliance and community engagement. The responsibility also includes providing feedback, advice, and encouragement team members.
- Provide leadership by building and training project teams to expand their capabilities by means of establishing best practices, policies, risk management, quality assurance and control tools, techniques and templates.
- Analyse monthly construction contractor CPM schedule updates; develop progress payments based on schedule milestone(s) achieved; assist with recovery schedules.
- Prepare and manage detailed project budgets and cashflows per Financial Model / plan.
- Identify risks early and present well thought out corrective action plans.
- Track information needed to manage projects and use this information as basis for corporate, investment and ad-hoc reporting - as required
- Consistently meet deadlines, which may require additional hours beyond a standard workday.
- Engaging and managing technical and engineering consultants throughout the project stages.
- Planning & coordination of the projects preliminary engineering during preconstruction phase
- Contract Procurement, structuring, negotiation and execution.
- Liaise and cooperate with other functional and regional teams within Mainstream-, GIS, engineering, development, finance, ED, and commercial.
- Liaise and cooperate with external parties – independent engineers, contractors, government bodies etc.
- Significant autonomy in work, but a strong reporting and approval process using Mainstream’s Procurement and Project Delivery procedures and process (this is based on PMI® PMBOK®).
- Participate in company knowledge sharing groups which focus on sharing of expertise globally
Education and Experience
- Degree or Diploma in Engineering or the built environment (electrical, mechanical, civil, construction management or quantity surveying) – PMP, SACPCMP (CPM\CM) and / or ECSA registration a bonus
- 5 years (+) previous project management experience, ideally in the renewable environment.
- Strong project management skill set required including contract management, contract administration, scheduling, planning, financial control and management
- Extensive working knowledge of the following disciplines and associated systems – HSE, project risk management, quality assurance and control
- Well versed in South African contract/commercial law, environmental requirements and legislation and OHSSA Act.
- Ability to develop strong working relationships with the NSP (Eskom), general contractor personnel, subcontractors, OEM’s, consultants, inspectors, auditors, land owners and other project related parties
- Project managers are required to be advocates/champions of continuous learning, process improvement, and project management methodologies within Mainstream
- Detail oriented with the ability to execute at a high level with significant independence
- Superior negotiating skills and a personable negotiator
- Strong verbal, presentation and report writing skills
What we offer
We offer you the opportunity to work in a dynamic and entrepreneurial organisation, in a growing market in a fast-paced industry. You will receive a very competitive total benefits package including an excellent base salary and bonus scheme.