Position Title: Accountant-RRC Karen
Working Location: Regional Resource Center- Karen/ Nairobi, Kenya
Region: IOR - Eastern & Southern Africa (ESAF)
Direct Supervisor: Head of Regional Resource Centre
Type of recruitment: National recruitment
About SOS Children’s Villages Regional Resource Center
Established in 2005, SOS Children's Villages Regional Resourcing Center is a SOS Training Center dedicated to support and promote the training of SOS staff members as well as likeminded organizations in specialized programmatic areas. It offers a range of specialized training on site as well as online training. The unique setting in Karen also offers accommodation and conferencing facilities.
SOS Children’s Villages RRC is part of the Eastern and Southern Africa Region of SOS Children’s Villages International and operates under the supervision of the ESAF International Branch Office in Nairobi.
The mission of RRC is to be a resource hub for staff capacity development and networking for Member Associations in the ESAF and other SOS CVI regions, as well as external childcare stakeholders.
Mission of the Position
The accountant supports the Head of the center and the Operations Manager and coordinates the FC tasks at RRC.
The purpose of the position is to enable transparency, accountability as well as the efficient and proper use of fund in the center. This position will provide services to RRC guest as well as consulting and monitoring the usage of funds in the Center.
Key Result performance Areas and Responsibilities
1. Cost Accounting
- Ensure competitive charge rates for services offered are computed which support a self-sustainability strategy
- Ensure dispensing of consumables is strictly followed in all the departments to keep to set costs per unit
- Ensure procurement is done in line with established cost controls
- Advise management on various strategies to keep costs at manageable levels
- Provide cost forecasts for various events
2. Financial Accounting
- Facilitate operational business continuity by ensuring all day to day operations are addressed with the shorted turnaround time
- Provide technical support to the Head of Resource Centre in all matters relating to Finances
- Prepare financial forecasts and budgets for the Organisation
- Review existing internal controls and financial processes and provide alternatives where gaps are identified in line with existing operational guidelines, GSC policies as well as international accounting standards
- Ensure compliance with internal control framework (Manuals, guidelines) and local rules and procedures.
- Monitoring all procurement activities related to purchases of goods, transport, contracted works and services for RRC Karen In a bid to ensure compliance and identify gaps that exist in the procurement and propose solutions
- Process payments promptly for all suppliers/service providers
- Keep records for all vendors and creditors and ensure the same is captured correctly in the provided accounting software
- Receive cash from guests and ensure the same is receipted and banked as per set guidelines
- Prepare invoices for guests personal expenses
- Prepare consolidated invoices for corporate customers
- Support in improvement of the existing invoicing system as well as debt collection strategy.
- Ensure proper filing of accounting documents is implemented
- Ensure timely completeness of data and submission of reports
- Ensure the Training center has a sound liquidity plan
- Ensure collection of taxes from clients and timely payment to statutory bodies.
- Perform other related tasks as required.
- Treasury & Risk Management
- Ensure that the Centre bank accounts are funded at all times
- Ensure project funds are segregated and tracked appropriately
- Identify secure and cost effective ways of collecting payments from customers and minimize cash collection
- Support in risk assessments and implementation of mitigation measures
- Execute forex transactions for the office
- Act as an agent for the center bank accounts
- Administrative tasks
- Review existing stock control system and improve the same
- Keep secured all accounting documents
Must have Criteria
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance, or a related field, or an equivalent with a combination of Professional qualification
- 2-5 years of accounting/finance experience preferably in cost accounting.
- Demonstrate intermediate to advanced skills and knowledge of Excel, as well as other Microsoft Office applications
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Experience with Navision accounting software
- Excellent interpersonal skills to communicate effectively across the organization
- Thorough knowledge of general ledger accounting and account reconciliation
- Highly detail-oriented
- Excellent command of written and spoken English. French is a plus.
- Advanced knowledge of statutory and compliance requirements in Kenya.
- Guests from SOS Eastern and Southern Africa region and SOS Children's Village Federation.
- Programme participants from SOS Children's Villages International Federation.
- External Guests/clients.
- External Suppliers
- Staff at resources center
- Operations Manager
- Head of Karen Resources Centre.
How to Apply
If you believe you are the right candidate for the above position, please send your application letter, detailed curriculum vitae (CV), and photocopies of academic certificates, and names and contact details of three referees as Single Document.
Applications that are late, or do not have CV or certificates attached, will be disqualified. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Applications including at least three traceable referees should be sent electronically through ICIMS. All applications should be submitted not later than November 06th, 2023.
“SOS Children’s Villages International holds strict child safeguarding principles and a zero-tolerance policy for conducts of sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse in the workplace and other places where the organization’s activities are rendered. Parallel to technical competence, recruitment, selection and hiring decisions will give due emphasize to assessing candidates value congruence and thorough background checks, police clearance reference check processes”.
Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.