Instill Education is on a mission to transform teaching, learning, and leadership in every classroom on the African continent. We believe that our teachers and school leaders are the greatest levers for change in the education system. We recently became an accredited higher education institution in South Africa and launched a game-changing mobile app that offers self-paced, bite-sized modules to help teachers in the professional development journey. More than 50,000 teachers in Ghana, Kenya, and Nigeria have already enrolled for our professional development modules and joined a pan-African community of peers and experts who provide support and feedback along the way.
We are looking to hire a Programme Officer to support the growth of our professional development offering in South Africa.
What makes you a great candidate?
You are ambitious, hungry to learn, and have a deep passion for education. You want to work in a fast-paced business environment and grow with a young organisation that seeks to change the face of education across the African continent. You want to learn how a start-up works by getting your hands dirty and getting involved in every aspect of the business. You are excited by the challenge of immersing yourself in new contexts and tackling complex problems. You are not afraid of failure and are driven to improve through robust, data-driven decision-making and feedback. When evaluating your candidacy, we will look for the following:
- Demonstrated commitment to anti-racism, equity, and inclusion
- You have the ambition to grow with the business and move into leadership positions
- You are an exceptional critical thinker with strong interpersonal communication skills
- You have a demonstrated passion for educational development, and closing educational equity gaps, and are strongly aligned with our vision, mission, and values
What does the role entail?
As the Programme Officer, you will be responsible for the planning, implementation, and evaluation of Instill Education programmes and projects in South Africa. You will work with a variety of stakeholder settings, including government / government agencies, non-profit organisations, and businesses.
More specifically you will;
- Work with the Chief Programme Officer and a network of partner organisations to build an offering that ensures our programmes are reaching into Early Childhood Development centres, schools, and districts and being used by educators across the country
- Work with the Chief Programme Officer and oversee business development activities such as events, social media outreach, focus groups, community workshops, etc.
- Serve as Instill's main point of contact for in-country stakeholders, particularly government and programme delivery partners
- Manage all logistics for all in-service programmes including, but not limited to faculty supply requests, online learning system management, maintenance, and troubleshooting, registers, attendance, data integrity, collection, and maintenance, instructional calendar maintenance, and programme enrolment
- Plan, coordinate, and execute logistics for in-person and hybrid professional development sessions
- Support the recruitment cycle by planning and executing recruitment communications strategy and processing applications
- Work closely with Instill’s support teams including Marketing and Product to create and implement strong systems and processes and provide integrated programme support for programme participants
- Maintain accurate and comprehensive certification files, collect documentation related to certification and programme endorsement for programme participants and faculty
- Build and maintain effective relationships with leaders in local and national government, universities, and peer organisations
- Work with executive leadership to develop and execute Instill’s vision, strategic objectives, and budget, all while taking an evidence-based, data-driven approach to setting goals and plans
- Drive user acquisition and retention on the Upskill@Instill platform
- Be Instill Education's ambassador in South Africa, building our brand by attending events and networking functions
- 5+ years of experience in management or stakeholder engagement
- Have experience in the South African education sector, working with South African government and/or civil society stakeholders (work with provincial education departments, teacher unions, and/or SACE preferred)
- Are experienced in project management, business development and sales
- Have strong planning and execution skills
- Ability to troubleshoot problems and resolve issues
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Have demonstrated passion for education, closing equity gaps, and are strongly aligned with our vision, mission and values
Anticipated start: 1 January 2024
Location: Johannesburg or Cape Town, South Africa
Do our values resonate with yours?
We believe in owning our mission to transform education across Africa. We aim to dream big, work collaboratively, have the courage to learn from failure, and embrace ingenuity, practical, inclusive solutions for the communities we serve. If you share our commitment to this challenge, join us in making a profound impact on our education systems.