Job Title: Program Officer EventsLocation: Remote - Worldwide Start Date: ImmediatelyReports to: Manager, Events and External Initiatives
Verra is a global leader helping to tackle the world's most intractable environmental and social challenges. As a passionate non-profit organization, Verra is committed to helping reduce greenhouse gas emissions, improving livelihoods, and protecting natural resources across the private and public sectors. We support climate action and sustainable development with standards, tools, and programs that credibly, openly, and robustly assess environmental and social impacts and enable funding for sustaining and scaling up projects that verifiably deliver these benefits. We work in any arena where we see a need for clear standards, a role for market-based mechanisms, and an opportunity to generate significant environmental and social value.Verra m****anages a p****ortfolio o****f s****tandards, i****ncluding t****he
- Verified Carbon Standard (VCS) - the world's leading carbon crediting program, with more than 1600 registered projects in 80 countries, and accounting for two-thirds of all voluntary carbon market transaction volume.
- Sustainable Development Verified Impact Standard (SD VISta) - a flexible framework for assessing and reporting on the sustainable development benefits of project-based activities.
- Climate, Community & Biodiversity (CCB) Standards - standards that identify projects that simultaneously address climate change, support local communities and smallholders, and conserve biodiversity.
- Plastic Waste Reduction Program – a program that enables robust impact assessment of new or scaled-up waste recovery and recycling projects around the globe.
Given significant developments in the global sustainability context, governments and private-sector entities are increasingly engaging in various environmental and financial policies and activities that provide opportunities for Verra's standards in facilitating the achievement of climate and development goals. Verra is looking for a Program Officer, Events to help ensure consistent messaging and engagement in environmental and social markets, including carbon markets, in a manner that fosters trust and confidence.A day with Verra's collaborative Legal, Policy and Markets team might include…
- Monitoring incoming emails and updating existing event management tools on an ongoing basis.
- Meeting with the events team to discuss invites received for Verra's engagement at upcoming events.
- Working with staff members to facilitate their attendance at an upcoming event, facilitating their registrations and managing their need for information.
- Attending a call with an event organizer to discuss Verra's participation in an event.
- Providing information to the communications team about engagement at upcoming events.
- Organizing logistics for Verra’s presence at large events, including researching venues, receiving quotations, and organizing contracts for services.
Specific f****unctions y****ou w****ill b****e r****esponsible f****or…
- Handling incoming email queries, gathering information and responding proactively.
- Keeping event management tools and records up to date at all times.
- Researching and seeking opportunities where Verra staff should attend/or speak, including reviewing program agendas, analyzing audiences and communicating with event organizers.
- Supporting Verra staff attending events, organizing their participation.
- Collaborating closely with event organizers to arrange Verra's participation in events.
- Coordinating logistics of Verra's participation in events, including contracts with venues, accommodation, nominations and registrations, as well as providing information for communication materials.
- Contributing to organizational efforts to communicate Verra's participation in events in newsletters and media engagement.
- Handling Verra's events webpage and giving input to social media posts.
- Where appropriate, attending events and engaging with attendees.
- Supporting the sound stewardship of the event's budget, including sponsorships, registration fees, travel, etc.
You bring with you...
- 1-3 years of relevant professional or internship experience and passion for environmental and sustainable development issues.
- Experience supporting the organization of events or conferences desirable.
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail and knowledge to be able to prioritize and work efficiently and effectively within short timeframes.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills; capable of maintaining a professional approach and demeanor in internal and external settings; providing support and guidance to other Verra team members.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Fluency in English is critical.
In this role, you will grow and expand your expertise by...
- Working at the forefront of programs designed to drive finance towards high-impact activities that address our day's most pressing environmental and social issues.
- Expanding your network of professionals working on climate and sustainable development, including government officials, private-sector actors, NGOs, and others.
- Learning from a diverse group of climate and sustainable development thought leaders and other hard-working professionals at Verra.
You will know you are successful if...
- You are seen as a reliable and capable addition to the team.
- Verra's events are carried out smoothly and effectively because of your support.
- Your knowledge of sustainable development, including carbon markets, grows.
- External understanding of the value and purpose of Verra's programs grows and improves.
You will join a team...
- From diverse locations and backgrounds, including carbon market experts, project developers, consultants, climate negotiators, researchers, auditors, and more.
- Committed to driving finance at scale to projects and programs that advance climate action and sustainable development through high-quality standards and programs.
- That embodies the values Verra has established for itself, and which include Teamwork, Results, Integrity, Balance, and Exploration.
Compensation at Verra
To help us attract and retain top talent, Verra pays employees competitively to the market. In return, we expect each employee to, at a minimum:
- Meet expectations in terms of work effort and performance;
- Take the initiative to build the skills and knowledge needed to do their job effectively; and
- Embody Verra’s values.
For this position, the salary range is USD $60,411 – $63,597 depending on experience.
Salary is one component of Verra’s total compensation package which also includes:
- Health, vision and dental care, and life insurance
- Verra contributions to each employee’s retirement plan
- Verra contributions as required by national labor laws in countries where staff are located
- Paid Time Off (PTO), comprising 22-30 days plus eleven floating holidays, sabbatical after five years of service, and other leave allowances
- Funds to support professional development
How to Apply
To apply, please send us the following:
- Cover letter (not to exceed one page)
- Resume/CV (not to exceed two pages)
*Please add app.bamboohr.com to your contact list to ensure you receive emails from us*
Verra provides equal opportunity for all job applicants and employees and is committed to providing a work environment free of discrimination. We conduct our recruitment and hiring without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital status, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, genetics, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, and local law.