Job Title: Program Officer/Analyst, Technology Solutions
Location: Flexible (Remote Worldwide working during US Business Hours)
Start Date: Immediately
Reports to: Manager, Technology Solutions
Verra is a global leader helping to tackle the world’s most intractable environmental and social challenges. As a mission-driven non-profit organization, Verra is committed to helping reduce greenhouse gas emissions, improve livelihoods and protect natural resources across the private and public sectors. We support climate action and sustainable development with standards, tools, and programs that credibly, transparently, and robustly assess environmental and social impacts and enable funding for sustaining and scaling up projects that verifiably deliver these benefits. We work in any arena where we see a need for clear standards, a role for market-based mechanisms, and an opportunity to generate significant environmental and social value.
Verra manages a portfolio of standards, including the:
- Verified Carbon Standard (VCS) -- the world’s leading carbon crediting program, with more than 1600 registered projects in 80 countries, and accounting for two-thirds of all voluntary carbon market transaction volume.
- Sustainable Development Verified Impact Standard (SD VISta) -- a flexible framework for assessing and reporting on the sustainable development benefits of project-based activities.
- Climate, Community & Biodiversity (CCB) Standards -- to identify projects that simultaneously address climate change, support local communities and smallholders, and conserve biodiversity.
- Plastic Waste Reduction Program -- to enable robust impact assessment of new or scaled-up waste recovery and recycling projects around the globe.
Verra is expanding the technological solutions offering through a range of technology-transformation initiatives such as digitalized project development platform, digitalized methodologies, and integration with the registry within the overall framework of Digital Measurement, Reporting, and Verification (DMRV). Verra is looking for a skilled Program Officer/ Analyst to support in our digital integration effort.
Specific functions you will be responsible for...
- Gathering required geospatial and attribute data from the web using web scraping techniques.
- Querying Verra project’s database and other publicly available carbon registries to extract and validate required information about projects.
- Identifying and estimating projects’ monitoring parameters using Remote Sensing and GIS tools namely Google Earth Engine (GEE), QGIS, PostGIS and other open-source applications.
- Searching through various data catalogues such as GEE and Microsoft planetary computer to identify the required data that is relevant to monitor projects.
- Developing and updating thematic maps and spatial analytics to meet the organization’s needs.
- Automating periodic data collection and updating from various sensors including IOT by creating automation scripts using python.
- Writing scripts that analyze satellite data in the background using a set of pre-selected classification algorithms (both supervised and unsupervised).
- Prepare a time-series maps and reports on each predetermined parameter for the projects in Verra Registry at set interval or on-demand.
- Providing support to integrate various applications with Verra DMRV platform.
- Transforming and analyzing the collected/extracted data to derive quantitative reports and generate meaningful insights.
- Provide technical guidance and support to team members on GIS and remote sensing tools, data, and applications.
You bring with you...
- At least three years of relevant work experience in developing web applications using GEE.
- A university degree in remote sensing, GIS data science or related field.
- Experience in SQL, web scraping, multi-dimensional data analysis using various opensource GIS software such as Post GIS and QGIS.
- Experience with one or more relevant programming languages and associated tools (Python, Angular, Java).
- Demonstrated experience working with Google Earth Engine data catalogue to conduct.
- Strong communication skills, emphasizing interacting with stakeholders in a highly responsive and professional manner, even under high-pressure situations.
- Experience of business process analysis in software development environment.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, managing multiple priorities and deadlines.
- Highly computer literate, proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Excel and Visio), background on statistical analysis is a plus.
- Culturally aware with the ability to work with stakeholders and partners from different countries and cultures.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Fluency in English is essential.
- Experience working with carbon quantification or registry process management is desired.
In this role, you will grow and expand your expertise by...
- Administrating the largest voluntary carbon market registry in the world, home to over 2,000 projects and serving nearly 1,500 account holders.
- Gaining exposure to challenges and opportunities faced by practitioners of activities aimed at reducing greenhouse gas emissions and improving livelihoods.
- Working with a dynamic, committed, and focused team of professionals.
You will know you are successful, if...
- You successfully develop and demonstrate a GE based project monitoring system for existing projects in Verra registry.
- You create a portal dashboard with automation scripts in python that pulls and updates relevant project data in near real time.
- You are seen as a reliable and capable member of the team by your peers and manager.
- Verra stakeholders consistently express positive feedback regarding your ability to collaborate to find workable solutions to challenges they face, especially in the registry features.
You will join a team...
- From diverse locations and backgrounds, including carbon market experts, project developers, consultants, climate negotiators, researchers, auditors, and more.
- Committed to driving finance at scale to projects and programs that advance climate action and sustainable development through high-quality standards and programs.
- That embodies the values Verra has established for itself, and which include Teamwork, Results, Integrity, Balance, and Exploration.
Compensation at Verra
To help us attract and retain top talent, Verra pays employees competitively to the market. In return, we expect each employee to, at a minimum:
- Meet expectations in terms of work effort and performance;
- Take the initiative to build the skills and knowledge needed to do their job effectively; and
- Embody Verra’s values.
For this position, the salary range is between $57,225 - $63,597 USD. The compensation band is based on a U.S. base salary range and shares the min and max base salary for the position. This position is eligible for remote work.
The final compensation offered will be contingent upon role, level and location. Our Talent team can share the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
We will recognize employees who go beyond expected performance with salary increases and/or promotions, but the bar for earning those rewards is high.
Salary is one component of Verra’s total compensation package which also includes:
- Top-tier health, vision and dental care, and life insurance;
- Verra contributions to each employee’s retirement plan;
- Verra contributions as required by national labor laws in countries where staff are located;
- Paid Time Off (PTO), comprising 22-30 days plus ten floating holidays, sabbatical after five years of service, and other leave allowances; and
- Funds to support professional development.
How to Apply
To apply, please send us the following:
- Cover letter (not to exceed one page)
- Resume/CV (not to exceed two pages)
*Please add app.bamboohr.com to your contact list to ensure you receive emails from us*
Verra provides equal opportunity for all job applicants and employees and is committed to providing a work environment free of discrimination. We conduct our recruitment and hiring without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital status, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, genetics, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, and local law.