Heifer International is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with some form of specially-abled**.**
The Program Manager- Social Capital Development is responsible for designing and implementing the strategy and programs of Social Capital Development and trainings for farmers' community-based organizations (CBOs) and project partners as well as Heifer International India staff. The Manager will ensure that signature program staff, project partners and community facilitators receive effective, efficient and consistent training in achieving the three levels of impact.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DELIVERABLES**:
(**including approximate percentage effort)
Social capital development initiatives in the program (50%)
- Develop/update strategy/interventions to ensure social capital development is appropriately incorporated in all signature projects.
- Serve as the focal point for social capital by preparing the annual plan and budget, track and assess the implementation of the social capital development plan for the signature project.
- Update and support production of the entire training package for social capital development and take responsibility for rolling it out.
- Develop/update/produce training manuals and guidelines on all Values-Based Holistic Community Development (VBHCD) elements (Heifer Cornerstones, Participatory Self Review and Planning [PSRP], Mentoring Team Mobilization, SHG management, Gender Justice, Nutrition Education, and Co-CAT, etc.).
- Develop/update/produce training materials and training tools.
- Build the capacity of the project team and implementing project partners to implement the social capital development component of the project.
- Conduct effective training of trainers (ToT) on Cornerstones, PSRP, SHG management, Gender Justice, Nutrition Education, and Co-CAT etc. to Heifer and project staff.
- Ensure that communities undertake visioning exercises on a regular basis from the beginning of the project.
- Ensure quality assurance of VBHCD trainings at the field level.
- Develop and manage training budget and Detail Implementation Plan (DIP).
- Document lessons learned, good practices, and success stories.
Facilitate stakeholder training on Heifer Cornerstones and social capital development at various levels (30%)
- Lead Cornerstone and social capital development trainings organized for local government units (municipalities, provincial governments), government line agencies, and development agencies in the country.
- Ensure the identification, design, implementation, and follow-up of trainings, and backstop the program staff as well as project partner staff and community facilitators to be highly efficient, effective, and consistent trainers to produce social transformation impacts in the field.
- Facilitate and serve as a resource person for Heifer training and ToTs.
- Coordinate with Regional Program Managers, C&N Manager and other thematic leaders in preparing the annual training plan and budget.
- Coordinate with the PM&E Manager in developing tools for monitoring post training.
- Monitor the implementation of training plans and the participant database.
- Provide support to ensure that PSRP and Cornerstones are mainstreamed in all projects or signature projects.
Capacity Building of Farmer-owned Agribusinesses (FOABs) (15%)
- Lead periodic assessment of the FOABs by adapting appropriate tools.
- Identify capacity gaps and areas of improvement in various dimensions of FOABs.
- Provide oversight of Co-CAT training and implementation at the cooperative level.
- Support the building of business relationships among value chain actors.
- Strengthen social capital among FOABs.
- Share Heifer India’s experience with the regional Heifer team and other stakeholders as appropriate.
May perform other job-related duties as assigned (5%)
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS:
Bachelor’s Degree from a recognized university in Social Science, Education, Agricultural Extension, Environmental Science, Veterinary Science, and Animal Husbandry required, plus at least 7 (seven) years of related experience in training activities related to community development, agriculture, animal health, adult learning, and facilitation skills, OR
Master’s Degree from a recognized university in Social Science, Education, Agricultural Extension, Environmental Science, Veterinary Science, and Animal Husbandry required, plus at least 5 (five) years of related experience in training activities related to community development, agriculture, animal health, adult learning
Demonstrated experience in values-based community mobilization, social capital development, institutional development, capacity building, training/facilitation, smallholder farmers/rural SMEs/co-ops, and base of the pyramid consumers
Ability to work independently and take initiative while also having strong team-building skills
Fluent in Hindi, English and local language (both spoken and written)
Good leadership qualities and communication skills with all levels of personnel
Excellent organizational skills including strong attention to detail
Proficient knowledge of word processing, spreadsheets, presentation tools, electronic mail (Microsoft office preferred), and internet
Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work cooperatively, tactfully and diplomatically with a culturally diverse group of people
- Demonstrate a high degree of honesty and integrity
- Willingness to work flexibly outside normal working hours
- Ability to foster and maintain a spirit of unity, teamwork and cooperation
- Constant face-to-face, telephone and electronic communication with colleagues, potential donors, and the general public
- Motivated to work responsibly with little supervision
- Ability to meet and deal with others in a courteous and tactful manner
- Ability to work with sensitive information and to maintain confidentiality at all times
- Sensitivity in working with multiple cultures and beliefs, and to gender equity