Reports to**:** Operations Manager, Program/Project Managers
Location: Nairobi, Kenya, Hivos regional Hub
Hivos is an international development organization guided by humanist values. Together with citizens and their organizations, we aim to contribute towards just, inclusive and life sustaining societies where people have equal access to opportunities, rights and resources. We work in partnership with others in the Middle East, Africa, Asia and Latin America on three impact areas: civic rights; gender equality, diversity and inclusion, and climate justice. Our approach is solution driven, and we build wider movements for change by amplifying and connecting voices.
Main goal of the position
The program assistant (PA) assists the project managers, program officers and the financial officer with a variety of tasks that can include the provision of financial-administrative support, logistics, note-taking, etc. The PA is committed to the values and principles defined by Hivos.
Operations and Logistics
- Maintains logistical and administrative activities and corresponding systems for internal and external communication, fulfills information requirements.
- Organises and keeps track of meetings (Minutes and tracking of items), maintains and applies department agenda and planning, organises periodic and one-off events, monitors reporting schedules and requirements.
- Performs a variety of logistics tasks such as organising travel and events.
- Working closely with the Program/Project Managers and responsible technical leads to organize overall team meetings such as staff meetings, annual planning and reflection meetings, annual team building.
- Processing Information: Is in charge of entering program-related financial and other data and processing it into standard systems.
- Support in positioning; is part of the Programs/Projects team in the region and as such interacts with internal and external stakeholders.
- The PA manages the documentation (financial, administrative and technical), archiving and distribution of documents in the nextcloud platform, as well as the follow-up on the updates of the subprojects and respective documentation in the Hivos project management system (All Solutions).
- The PA provides administrative support as needed in implementation, monitoring and evaluation, in collaboration with the rest of the team and shares possible synergies.
- Create and modify documents e.g. invoices, reports, memos, letters etc. using word processing, spreadsheet, database and/or other presentation using Microsoft Office.
- Assist in preparation and dissemination of contracts for partners and consultants using the Hivos information management system (All Solutions).
- May conduct research, compile data and prepare papers for consideration and presentation
- Supporting the program team in regard to grants program monitoring, evaluation and learning to shape funding priorities and inform capacity strengthening opportunities.
- Ensure timely external communication and support in relationships with consultants or external facilitators, providing expertise to the program.
- The PA is the responsible for the following-up of the deliverables and payments of the consultancy contracts implemented.
- Supporting program team in procuring of goods and services such as consultancies, flights, accommodation and conference which includes coordinating approval of terms of reference by the Program/Project Managers ; reviewing, preparing and ensuring approval of contracts, invoices, purchase requisition and other documentation necessary for the relevant processes.
- Any other duties assigned to them.
- Relevant vocational training or comparable work experience, and higher level of working and thinking.
- Able to speak and write English fluently, knowledge of French, Swahili, Portuguese or other relevant languages are a bonus.
- Approximately 3 years of work experience in a professional organization, and preferably in an international environment.
- A proactive, open-minded team player with a positive attitude, who enjoys working in a dynamic environment.
- Supportive of the goals of Hivos and alignment of the Hivos Values.
- Familiar with working with financial administrative systems.
- Skilled in organizing and planning.
- Experience in supporting the organization of events, preferably also online.
- Ability to think and act creatively and ‘outside the box’ to solve problems
- High level of integrity.
We encourage applications from the Right Holder in the broadest of sense. We offer a contract on Hivos East Africa Labor conditions, with remuneration commensurate with the experience and expertise requested.