Local Unit & Position Description
Do you believe in a vision of a carbon-free power grid?
Are you interested in accelerating the interconnection and injection of renewable projects to the grid?
DNV – Energy’s Energy Advisory group has an exciting opportunity for a Principal Market Advisor, in its Power System Advisory (PSA) Department. DNV Energy’s PSA team provides creative, cost effective and practical solutions to stakeholders in the power generation, transmission, and distribution systems. The Principal Market Advisor must demonstrate vision and drive and be passionate about contributing to the growth and evolution of the PSA business in North America. The ideal candidate will be aware of market opportunities where we can differentiate and innovate, and they will manage commercial projects, delivering technical insight and provide customers with excellent customer service.
This position may be based out of our Dallas (TX), Oak Brook (IL), Medford (MA) office.
What You will Do
- Actively contribute to developing and executing the Energy Economics team strategy
- Execute and supervise the PSA service offerings for Energy Economics service line including, but not limited to, Congestion & Curtailment Risk assessment, Production cost modeling, Market Studies, M&A Advisory and Price forecasting
- Serve as a Subject Matter Expert for area(s) related to energy markets and/or grid reliability
- Perform technical evaluations related to energy markets including asset valuation and scenario study
- Actively participate in (in-person/remote) industry stakeholder meetings and stay up to date with assigned market changes in terms of developments and policy changes
- Engage in a collaborative team culture and thought leadership, provide mentoring to junior employees, and contribute to research and innovation activities to develop new techniques and tools, to optimize the team’s efficiency and develop its capabilities
- Develop and maintain QA/QC processes to ensure high quality and consistency in analysis and delivery
- Establish and maintain sustainable, interdependent relationships and good communication with team members and customers
- Cultivate new customer relationships, and assist in preparing responses to Requests for
- Proposals (RFP) and provide Statement of Qualifications (SOQ) for new tenders/bids/opportunities
What is Required
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering, Economics, Statistics, Finance, or related field
- In-depth understanding of the economic fundamentals of electric power systems and renewable energy
- Minimum 8 years of direct work experience in energy markets, transmission and/or distribution planning preferably in a utility, power trading, renewable energy company or consulting environment
- Knowledge of RTO nodal markets and their planning practices. Congestion & Curtailment modeling
- Demonstrable, hands-on experience with production cost modeling software
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PPT, OneNote, MS Teams)
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, business, and technical writing
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, problem solving, collaboration and analytical skills
- Strong time management skills
- Ability to work in a dynamic team environment
- Willingness and ability to travel up to 15% of the time
- We conduct pre-employment drug and background screening
What is Preferred
- Graduate-level degree with emphasis on Electric Power Systems, Quantitative Analysis, or related field
- Experience with asset modeling and PPA valuations
- Familiarity with regional power and gas market approaches for risk management
- Demonstrable hands-on experience with power system modeling software packages including PSS/E, Powerworld, PSCAD, TARA, ASPEN, CYME, ETAP, Synergie Electric and/or DIGSILENT, PLEXOS, PROMOD, UPLAN, etc.
- Track record of project management and/or successful completion of project management related trainings
- Familiarity with market data mining/scraping and management strategies, automation and tools
- Working knowledge of and/or experience developing automation scripts in Python or similar
**Immigration-related employment benefits, for example visa sponsorship, are available for this position**
What We Offer
- Generous paid time off (vacation, sick days, company holidays, personal days)
- Multiple Medical and Dental benefit plans to choose from, Vision benefits
- Spending accounts – FSA, Dependent Care, Commuter Benefits, company-seeded HSA
- Special programs – Employee Assistance Program, ID theft protection, and accident and critical illness options for you and your family
- Employer-paid, therapist-led, virtual care services through Talkspace
- Company provided life insurance, short-term, and long-term disability benefits
- Tuition assistance
- Flexible work schedule with hybrid/remote opportunities
- Advancement opportunities
**Benefits may vary based on position, tenure, location, and employee election
How We Do It
We Care, We Dare, We Share
DNV is a proud equal opportunity employer committed to building an inclusive and diverse workforce. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit or business need, without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
DNV is committed to ensuring equal employment opportunity, including providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with a disability. US applicants with a physical or mental disability who require a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process may contact the North America Recruitment department (firstname.lastname@example.org). Information received relating to accommodations will be addressed confidentially.
DNV is proud to announce being named one of Houston’s best places to work in the 2022 Houston Business Journal – Best Places to Work competition.
For more information
Read more here
Diversity at DNV
Meet our Employees
Careers in DNV
Please visit our website at www.dnv.com
Company & Business Area Description
DNV is the independent expert in assurance and risk management, operating in more than 100 countries. Through our broad experience and deep expertise, we advance safety and sustainable performance, set industry benchmarks, and inspire and invent solutions.
We provide assurance to the entire energy value chain through our advisory, monitoring, verification, and certification services. As the world's leading resource of independent energy experts and technical advisors, we help industries and governments to navigate the many complexes, interrelated transitions taking place globally and regionally, in the energy industry. We are committed to realizing the goals of the Paris Agreement and support all stakeholders to transition faster to a deeply decarbonized energy system.