TITLE: People and Culture Manager
EMPLOYMENT TYPE: Full-time staff
LOCALITY: Brooklyn, NY, preferred
SUPERVISING MANAGER: Executive Director
DIRECT REPORTS: N/A
SALARY: $100,000 - $125,000. Salary is commensurate with experience; geographic differentials to the pay range may apply.
About the Position
Rainforest Foundation US (RFUS) is seeking a People and Culture Manager who cares deeply about staff experiences and wants to support staff in bringing their best selves to the work and mission of RFUS. The ideal candidate will have a high level of experience and skill with benefits packages and compensation, HR systems and tools, and compliance with employment and tax laws. The position is responsible for creating, implementing, and using policies that are aligned with RFUS’s organizational values and objectives to support staff in excelling at their work and in the promotion of a positive work culture across the organization. They work to create a space where employees feel valued, enthusiastic and dedicated to the organization and the work that they do.
Management and Administration
- Serves as focal point for all recruitment and hiring, compensation and benefits, staff satisfaction and performance, managerial issues, and other staff related matters, providing timely communications to staff, consultants, candidates, and others, as required, by email, phone, and/or relevant digital platforms
- Leads on overall People and Culture strategy development and annual People and Culture work planning in coordination with department heads to ensure related needs and goals are met across the organization
- Work with the ED to develop, implement, and oversee budget related to People and Culture needs of the organization
- Maintains in-depth knowledge of legal requirements related to day-to-day management of employees, ensuring regulatory compliance to reduce legal risks; Consult with third-party legal counsel or employment lawyers on tax and labor compliance matters as needed/required
- Develop, implement, and revisit on an annual basis policies and procedures to ensure national, state, and local compliance requirements, providing policy guidance and interpretation as needed
- Analyze and modify compensation and benefits policies to establish fair and competitive salaries and ensure compliance with legal requirements
- Analyze and identify gaps and skills within the workforce in order to support and guide leadership and management to hire enough staff capacity to achieve the organization's strategic plans. Determine future staffing needs to effectively and efficiently carry out the organization's mission.
- Administer compensation, benefits, and performance management systems
- Maintain records and compile statistical reports concerning personnel-related data such as hires, transfers, performance appraisals, analyzing trends to develop solutions as needed
- Collaborate with Operations Manager to identify and manage human resource information system (HRIS) platforms for effective administration of People and Culture activities domestically and internationally, ensuring any tools are cost-effective and fit for purpose for a dispersed organization
- Oversee external consultants, etc. as needed
- Develop or administer special projects in areas such as compensation philosophy, pay equity and rewards and recognition programs
- Maintains an effective level of literacy about the organization’s financial position, its midrange plans, its culture, and its competition
- Develop and employ the use of recruitment practices and strategies to recruit, attract, and retain talent
- Support international contracting, including standardization of consulting contracts, resolution of tax and benefit issues, etc.
- Develop onboarding processes and programs that integrate employees into the organization's workplace culture, practices and purpose in a consistent way across teams
Employee Relations, Staff Support & Development
- Provide guidance to managers on how to support staff, improve performance, or set goals, when appropriate
- Manage and resolve complex employee relations issues; conduct effective, thorough and objective investigations
- Develop processes and tools to support managers in reviewing and evaluating employee performance against quarterly or annual goals and the organization’s expectations
- Collaboratively develop programs and initiatives to keep employees satisfied while boosting employee morale, thereby increasing productivity and retention
- Identify training needs for departments and individual executive coaching
- Conduct exit interviews to identify reasons for employee termination
- Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, and coordination of people and resources
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Fluent in English & Spanish
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to comprehend, interpret, and apply the appropriate sections of applicable laws, guidelines, regulations, ordinances, and policies.
- Ability to acquire a thorough understanding of the organization’s hierarchy, jobs, qualifications, compensation practices, and the administrative practices related to those factors.
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite and Google Workspace
Education and Experience:
- Minimum 8 years of experience resolving complex employee relations issues.
- Working knowledge of multiple human resource disciplines, including compensation practices, organizational diagnosis, diversity, performance management, and federal and state respective employment laws.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- SHRM Certified Professional (SHRM-CP) or SHRM Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP) preferred, or ability to obtain certification within one year of employment
Compensation & Benefits
- Compensation: Compensation for this position is commensurate with experience and ranges between $100,000 - $125,000 USD annually.
- full health, vision, and dental insurance
- 20 days per year of vacation leave
- 10 days per year of sick leave
- 2 days per year of personal days
- 5 days for bereavement leave per event
- up to 12 weeks of parental leave
- accommodations for additional time off under extraordinary circumstances.
- Annual phone stipend
- Annual Professional Development stipend
For this role, nights or weekends will not be expected except possibly during work-related travel, in which case compensatory time will be accrued.
Workplace Culture & Conditions
Rainforest Foundation US prides itself on providing a flexible, equitable, family-friendly, and inclusive work environment that values work-life balance. Our offices are pet friendly and located in a historic downtown Brooklyn neighborhood that is easily accessible by public transit and boasts many restaurants and services. This position can be fully remote or in the Brooklyn office.
Commitment to Equality & Equity
Rainforest Foundation US does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status in any of its activities or operations. We are committed to an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, clients, volunteers, subcontractors, vendors, and clients. Black, Indigenous, and people of color are highly encouraged to apply.
- RFUS aims to fill the position ASAP.
- Interested applicants are encouraged to apply early and advised to carefully study the job description to ensure they meet the requirements and skills we are looking for.
- Applications will not be considered without the submission of a resume and cover letter.
- Please note that the position will be listed as open until filled. Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be contacted.
- The candidate must possess the legal requirements to work in the United States; Rainforest Foundation US will not sponsor visas for international candidates.