Mennonite Economic Development Associates (MEDA) invites applications for a People & Culture and Administration Manager to join our dedicated and talented MEDA team in our mission to create business solutions to poverty!
MEDA’s work is built on a foundation of Mennonite business roots and faith-based values, within the global context of the UN Sustainable Development Goals. We believe business solutions are effective interventions to address poverty. Through a market-systems approach and strategic partnerships, MEDA enables access to finance and provides business and technical expertise to build transformative agri-food market systems that create decent jobs, allowing traditionally excluded groups to become active participants in a sustainable economy. MEDA welcomes all who share our values and want to join us in our mission. To find out more about MEDA, please visit our website at www.meda.org.
The People & Culture (P&C) and Administration (Admin) Manager supports the seamless operations in the MEDA Nigeria Office under the direction of the Country Project Manager. The position is an integral part of the leadership team to provide administrative and business support services to MEDA Nigeria office and ensuring that internal and external employee requirements are met accordingly.
The P&C and Admin Manager will provide leadership in the implementation of MEDA P&C policies and procedures including all procurements for the Nigeria office in line with MEDA procurement policy. The position holder will also coordinate all IT support services and administration activities for Nigeria.
Job Title: People & Culture and Administration Manager
Job Status: Immediate start date; Full-time, 1-year contract
Supervisor: Country Project Manager
Location(s): This position is based in Bauchi, Nigeria
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
People & Culture
- Develop and maintains a human resources system that meets management information needs in compliance with labor laws and practices.
- Oversee the analysis, maintenance, and communication of employee records required by law or/and other departments in the organization.
- Will coordinate the recruitment and retention of staff in the organization with Project Managers.
- Facilitate transparent and competitive recruitment and selection processes; advertising job postings, scheduling interviews, filing applications, drafting job descriptions, screening of candidates, organization of interview panels, and other administrative processes.
- Plan and conduct new employee orientation to foster positive attitude toward organizational goals. Ensure organizational values are an inherent part of work ethic and culture.
- Advise management in appropriate resolution of employee relations issues.
- Respond to inquiries regarding policies, procedures, and programs arising needs.
- Administer performance management system to ensure effectiveness, compliance, and equity within organization.
- Support finance in the administration of benefits programs such as health insurance, pension plans, vacation, sick leave, leave of absence, and employee assistance.
- Prepare employee separation notices and related documentation and conducts exit interviews to determine reasons behind separations.
- Oversee the procurement process in compliance with MEDA policy and donor regulations and Nigeria laws.
- Obtain offers from different suppliers/vendors for all office purchases according to MEDA Nigeria procurement policy.
- Coordinate and follow up with vendors to deliver the purchased items on time and according to the requirements.
- Ensure all the related forms and templates are completed and have all the required approvals.
- Provide finance department with purchase orders and all supporting documents to issue the payments in accordance with the procurement policy.
- Responsible for managing the petty cash and ensure accurate reports are maintained along with all the needed approvals and support documents.
- Maintain inventory for MEDA Nigeria assets.
- Coordinates all administrative processes to ensure a seamless operation for MEDA Nigeria office.
- Events management both out of office and in office ensuring activities are properly serviced including organizing venues, supervising room layouts for programs, scheduled workshops, or demonstrations.
- Ensure the office is organized effectively. Maintaining paperless processes, seamless administration, reduce costs for communications, and partner reception are efficient and friendly.
- Ensure office procedures are followed and have effective separation of responsibilities by responding to inquiries regarding policies, procedures, and programs.
- Ensure adequate office supplies are in place and accounted for.
- Serve as the primary point of contact for external inquiries.
- Participate in the project’s senior management team.
- Support in organizing of country visits by MEDA HQ staff, donors, and other stakeholders, including drafting itineraries, arranging for in-country travel, accommodation, site visits and other activities as required.
- Manage IT related issues and coordinate with MEDA HQ and the local IT service support provider to ensure solving the IT related problems efficiently and in a timely manner.
- Manage IT skill building by training of staff on effective use of MicroSoft365 tools, relevant digital skills, and other technologies for communication.
- Directly supervise the work of staff as may be required in the HR/Admin department.
- Any other duties and/or requirements as assigned.
Any other duties and/or requirements as assigned
Organizational Policies and Procedures
- Ensure and adhere to all MEDA management, professional, finance, audit, legal, human capital, security, corporate and other policies as required
- Prepare quarterly and other required internal reports and planning documents
- Complete and participate in all training as required
- Appreciation, understanding and commitment to MEDA’s mission, creating business solutions to poverty
- Demonstrate MEDA’s Core Performance Values: Collaboration, Respect, Entrepreneurship and Accountability
Image and Engagement
- Adherence and demonstration of MEDA image according to MEDA values
- Comply with board approved brand strategy
- Promote MEDA thorough speaking engagements, media appearances and convention as required
Education: bachelor’s degree in human resource management, business administration, or other relevant field. MBA will be an added advantage.
10 years’ minimum experience with at least 5 years with an international development Organisation.
Experience in managing large organizational change initiatives will be an advantage.
Extensive Knowledge on procurement processes and procedures for international donor funded projects.
Excellent computer skills and good working knowledge of Microsoft Office365 and related software.
Flexible, organized and detail-oriented, with an ability to prioritize multiple assignments and react quickly to changes.
Good skills in conflict resolution/problem solving, teamwork, crisis management, training facilitation and coaching.
Excellent writing and communication skills.
Fluency in English and Hausa is required.
- Appreciation and support of MEDA’s mission, vision and values
- Understanding and appreciation of business principles, international development and MEDA’s approach of creating business solutions to poverty
- Experience with human resources and procurement management in compliance with requirements of major donors
- Demonstrated successful experience with staff supervision, recruitment and selection, performance management and salary scale maintenance is required
- Knowledge of general HR administrative work practices and methods gained through relevant technical training and experience
- Self-starter with confidence and commitment to professional delivery
- Ability to work unsupervised and take ownership of queries/issues, bringing them to a successful conclusion
- Excellent computer skills and good knowledge of Microsoft Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel and related software
- Flexible, organized and detail-oriented, with an ability to prioritize multiple assignments and react quickly to changes
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in French and English
- Experience organizing conferences and meetings, making domestic and international travel arrangements preferred
- Prior work experience in the international development sector desirable
This job description may be reviewed, revised and updated as required to meet department and/or organizational objectives
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Monday, April 10th at 2:00PM UTC (3:00PM WAT / 10:00AM EST) and we s****hall be screening candidates as we receive applications.
MEDA is an equal opportunity employer and accommodations are available during all phases of the recruitment process. We ask that any applicants requiring accommodation make their needs known in advance.