Heifer International is a Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) whose mission is to work with communities to end hunger and poverty while caring for the earth. We work with farmers and their communities to identify opportunities that deliver living incomes, creating solutions to local challenges that are designed to build inclusive, resilient economies. With Increased productivity of livestock and crops, farmers provide for their families and improve the health of their communities.
The Kenya Livestock Marketing and Resilience Project (KLMP) is part of the Heifer Project International Kenya (HPIK) Signature Program, Practice for Change (P4C), targeting the Kenya Livestock Sector. The overall goal of KLMP is to strengthen the production and marketing systems for improved livelihoods and resilience among 38,000 poultry and beef-producing households, moving them towards achieving a living income.
The project strengthens production and productivity, leverages digital technology, promotes blended financing, and mobilizes strategic partnerships for catalytic investments in favor of behavior and social norms change for increased resilience, income, and improved practices within the beef and poultry ecosystem. The project activities will be implemented in nine counties in Kenya, with an operational hub in Nairobi and Eldoret, and satellite offices in Kajiado and Isiolo.
The Operations Assistant is responsible for overseeing general aspects of the Project such as procurement, logistics and admin operations, asset management, facility management, service contracts, and fleet management. The Operations Assistant will report to the Office Manager, and work in liaison with the Project Manager
This position is contingent upon donor approval and funding.
ESSENTIAL CHARACTER TRAITS
Heifer International Kenya is looking for a detail-oriented, collaborative, clear communicator, organized, deadline-oriented, level-headed, and positive individual.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DELIVERABLES
A. Administrative Support (30%)**
- Coordinating front-desk activities, including receiving phone calls, screening, and determining the nature of calls, distributing and redirecting correspondence appropriately
- Arranging appointments and meetings when requested including managing an active calendar of appointments, composing, and preparing correspondence.
- Handling all incoming and outgoing correspondences/letters/parcels etc.
- Monitor/replenish office supplies and stationery as needed.
- Replenish the First Aid Box with all the necessary drugs and ensure that all required drugs are always available.
- Overseeing property maintenance as well as supervising office cleaners to ensure office cleanliness is maintained.
- Assist with operations set up for new staff members to ensure smooth orientation.
B. Meetings and event coordination (20%)
- Ensure that the meeting room is properly arranged for meetings and support in organizing staff meetings, workshops, seminars, and learning events.
- Coordinate room setup, refreshments, decor, and other necessary logistics.
- Prepare and distribute agendas and meeting materials.
- Record minutes for meetings and events where applicable.
C. Admin documentation and Asset-Inventory Management (15%)
- Assist to prepare high-quality monthly reports and share them with the supervisor.
- Ensure that a proper filing system is in place at the project office and that documents and records are properly maintained.
- Effectively manage the store and keep clear records of receipts of items distributed.
- Assist the team to use various office equipment, and software programs and file incoming project documents accurately.
- Responsible for managing stationery and kitchen supplies including issuing, updating records, and replenishing the stock.
- Ensure that inventory is logged, tracked, updated accordingly, and prepare quarterly reports for submission.
- Updating and maintaining the asset database. Tagging equipment bought, logging it into the system, and tracking issuance to staff.
D. Logistics (10%)
- Prepare, manage, and coordinate bookings and travel arrangements for staff and visitors including partner and prospect meetings and conferences for teams.
- Assign and manage vehicle allocations as needed including verification of vehicle mileages and logbooks.
- Prepare timely fuel payments in collaboration with field office assistants and analyze consumption patterns.
- Ensure vehicle incident reports are completed on a timely basis and reported to the relevant senior staff.
D. Procurement (20%)
- Assist staff when required with creating clear and understandable purchase requests and other documentation.
- Collect quotations and bids from vendors for Purchase Requests as requested and per Heifer International Kenya standards and formats.
- Ensure fair competition and strict adherence to Heifer International Kenya procurement rules regarding vendor relations.
- Maintain up-to-date Heifer International Kenya Procurement data management system.
- Ensure the required documentation of supplies and transactions are completed to Heifer International Kenya standards.
- Manage petty cash issuance and reconciliation as per organization policy. Perform petty cash counts where applicable.
- Ensure timely and prompt maintenance of office equipment such as photocopiers and scanners, and office facilities including electricity supply, water, and plumbing.
- Prepare invoice payments, including recurring/monthly bills such as security, cleaning services, rent, and stationery, and submit them to finance for settlement.
- Maintain a calendar/tracker for monthly bills and ensure they are settled timely.
- Prepare purchase requisitions for miscellaneous items as needed and assist with the preparation of day-to-day procurement documentation as needed.
F. Perform other duties as assigned (5%)
- Co-ordinate any other necessary administrative and office management needs including maintenance of the premises.
Bachelor’s degree plus five (5) years of related experience.
Most Critical Proficiencies
- Excellent organizational, planning, and time management skills.
- Knowledge of the non-profit sector and the context in which non-profit organizations operate.
- Exemplary customer care and administrative skills.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Strong English language skills – oral and written.
- Knowledge and experience with word processing, spreadsheets, database, newsletter, and electronic mail software (Microsoft Office preferred).
Essential Job Functions and Physical Demands
- May require constant sitting, working at a computer for extended periods of time.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work cooperatively, tactfully, and diplomatically with a culturally diverse group of people.
- Ability to produce accurate documents in a well-designed and attractive format with superior attention to detail.
- May require occasional bending and lifting of up to 20 pounds (9 kilograms) floor to waist.
- Ability to operate all standard office equipment including copiers, scanners, fax machines, and printers.
- Ability to establish priorities, perform multiple tasks with minimal supervision, achieve deadlines, and make sound judgments.
- Ability to perform as an effective team member and work cooperatively with
- Constant telephone, face-to-face, and electronic communication with colleagues and the public.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and to work with minimal supervision.
Heifer International is an equal-opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with a disability.
Deadline for Application: 16 August 2023