Pact is an international nonprofit that works in nearly 40 countries building solutions for human development that are evidence-based, data-driven and owned by the communities we serve. Founded in 1971, Pact works with partners to build resilience, improve accountability, and strengthen knowledge and skills for sustainable social impact.
Private Business Development (PRBD) - Pact’s Private Sector Team leads and supports the development of partnerships with private sector entities, which includes corporations and foundations. The Team works with technical leads and country office staff to develop and shepherd project opportunities through from initial meeting or idea to successful receipt of funding. This also includes growing our innovative private sector consulting practice. The Private Sector Team is part of a larger Business Development team and collaborates with business development colleagues focused on work with public sector funders.
Pact seeks an Officer/Senior Officer, Private Sector Business Development to pro-actively grow and deepen relationships with corporate and foundation funders. Based on Pact’s ability to understand community needs, convene the right stakeholders, and implement and scale solutions in country, the Officer/Senior Officer will advance Pact’s engagement with both companies and communities to pilot and develop impactful and sustainable solutions to local issues. By understanding corporate and foundation objectives, broader funder trends, and Pact’s technical strategies, the Officer/Senior Officer will work with colleagues across Pact to identify, develop, and fundraise for (1) partnerships and programming that drive Pact’s and clients’ mission objectives and (2) consulting services that are of interest to both current and prospective clients. Ideal candidates will blend strategic, analytical thinking with program design, partnership management, and ability to develop winning concepts and proposals.
The Officer/Senior Officer will work closely with technical leads in Pact’s home office in Washington, D.C. and countries where we work. The primary technical focus for this role will be on Pact’s sustainable markets program area, which includes livelihoods, energy, mining, and natural resource management, but may at times also support other programming. This position will enable corporate and foundation engagement, and as needed also bilateral and multilateral initiatives, across the broader organization and provide leadership in identifying and cultivating new relationships. Up to 15% travel (domestic and international) may be required when safe and appropriate.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until a suitable candidate is identified. Consequently, the position may close earlier than specified. Please apply at your earliest convenience.
Business Development Strategy:
- Actively lead and contribute to the development of corporate and foundation fundraising aligned with country, regional, and technical priorities
- Build a network of professional business contacts within Pact's industry; negotiate partnership arrangements and budgets; and coordinate teaming agreements, memoranda of understanding, contracts, and other institutional agreements with partners
- Monitor trends and business intelligence across Pact’s technical sectors, identifying sector-specific and cross-cutting opportunities for partnership
- Engage with private sector partners to identify problems/opportunities within their value chains and to co-create solutions to those problems – improving efficiency and profitability for those partners while ensuring social impact
- Maintain relationship management and organizational databases (Salesforce) and conduct analysis of Pact's proposal development activities
Proposal Design and Development:
- Coordinate the end-to-end development of corporate, foundation, and as needed, multilateral, and bilateral, concepts and proposals across Pact's technical areas and countries
- Collaborate with funders, technical experts, country representatives, and other staff to conceptualize and design proposals for new and follow-on project activities
- Coordinate the development of pricing proposals with finance and contracts teams
- Manage integrated teams of technical, finance, and contract experts to ensure proposals meet Pact’s quality and compliance standards and follow Pact’s business development processes
- Ensure high quality final submissions to funders
Organizational Business Development Support:
- Provide guidance to country and home office staff on new business and engagement with corporate and foundation funders
- Work with the communications team on communications and campaigns in support of corporate and foundation fundraising
- Bachelor’s degree and at least seven (7) years of experience in business development, corporate social responsibility, international development, and/or partnership building, or Master’s degree and at least five (5) years of experience
- Demonstrated experience in fundraising with corporations and foundations; experience with bilateral and multilateral funders a plus
- Experience conceptualizing, pitching, and securing corporate social responsibility and shared value partnerships
- Experience in proposal development across a range of funders and technical areas, ideally aligned with Pact’s funders and technical areas
- Highly collaborative and experienced in driving results in an informal, matrixed environment
- Critical thinker with a can-do approach to problem solving
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including quickly researching and synthesizing unfamiliar topics
- Ability to work in a matrix management structure
- Excellent attention to detail
- Ability to work on multiple initiative at the same time and manage priorities
- Ability to cultivate and maintain professional relationships with internal colleagues and contacts in donor and peer organizations