Pact is an international nonprofit that works in nearly 40 countries building solutions for human development that are evidence-based, data-driven and owned by the communities we serve. Founded in 1971, Pact works with partners to build resilience, improve accountability, and strengthen knowledge and skills for sustainable social impact.
Pact seeks an experienced Occupational Safety and Health (OSH) Specialist to support the implementation of an anticipated US Department of Labor (DOL) funded Project to Improve Adherence to International Labor Standards in the Agricultural Sector in Ecuador. The project seeks to:
- Improve adherence to international labor standards, specifically related to child labor, forced labor, and the promotion of labor rights, within the agricultural sector, particularly in the banana and cut flower supply chains.
- Address evidence regarding the prevalence of child labor in the banana and cut flower sectors, as well as to build awareness and capacity to mitigate the risk of other labor rights abuses, including forced labor, and to support efforts to address occupational safety and health issues.
This is anticipated to be a four-year activity (2024-2028). This position is contingent upon award.
The OSH Specialist will be primarily responsible for analyzing and evaluating occupational safety and health management findings and recommending corrective actions in the agriculture sector. The OSH specialist will serve as the project’s health & safety representative and resource for daily operations and activities, and will be responsible, when needed, for designing policies and procedures that help prevent harm to workers and property.
- Inspecting workplaces/sites to ensure compliance with health, safety, and environmental regulations. Includes testing and measuring potential hazards to protect the safety of workers, the public, and the environment.
- Preparing and presenting educational programs to teach employers and workers about workplace safety, as well as altering workplace protocols to mitigate dangerous working conditions.
- Assist in identifying potential health & safety hazards, and make appropriate recommendations.
- Inspect and audit work sites, offices, vehicles, equipment, and work practices to monitor internal and external (DOL) compliance, safe work practices and unsafe working conditions.
- Oversee the investigation and corrective action process of incidents, and inform management of compliance issues, safety risks, and improvement opportunities.
- Plan and deliver safety trainings on a variety of health & safety topics
- Stay current on national and and local labor and other applicable safety regulations.
- All other duties as assigned by project director.
- Bachelor’s degree and 5+ years relevant experience, minimum of three years of experience in developing and analyzing occupational safety and health programs including methods, procedures, and techniques in the agriculture sector.
- Master’s degree and minimum of three years of experience in developing and analyzing occupational safety and health programs including methods, procedures, and techniques in the agriculture sector.
- Experience in analyzing and evaluating occupational safety and health management findings and recommending corrective actions in the agriculture sector.
- Experience in promoting safe and healthy working conditions in the agriculture sector.
- Experience in coordinating training for occupational safety and health awareness at all levels in the agriculture sector.
- Experience designing and implementing workplace processes and procedures that help protect workers from hazardous work conditions, preferably in the agriculture sector.
- Ability to meet deadlines, achieve targets, and provide all required inputs to deliverables.
- Fluency in Spanish is required.
- Previous experience working with US Department of Labor or other US government agencies
- Ecuadorian nationals are encourged to apply