About the opportunity
Are you interested in environmental consulting services? Do you enjoy working outside and thrive in the pursuit of ensuring excellent data collection, team collaboration, and services provided to clients? Are you looking for an opportunity to start and grow your environmental consulting career? SWCA Environmental Consultants (SWCA) is seeking a dynamic and passionate individual to join our team as a Wildlife Field Technician.
The Natural Resources Technician will be based out of our Portland, Oregon office to conduct field work throughout Oregon and Washington, starting immediately. We are looking for someone who is following their passion and dedicated to delivering the highest-quality project work. This exciting position is primarily a field work position with the ability to expand into new roles over time.
The Natural Resources Technician position requires some educational or experienced background in biology, natural resource management, ornithology, ecology, or a related field. This primarily field-based position takes place in an outdoor environment, often remote, where the climate, weather and terrain can be demanding. The position may involve an irregular schedule and extended hours. It is anticipated that moderate travel, including overnight stays, may be required.
What you will accomplish
- Conduct biological field studies, assist with vegetation and habitat surveys, threatened/endangered species assessments, and other avian/wildlife surveys.
- Use topographic maps, aerial photographs, GPS units, and other maps and tools to determine exact locations of project areas, survey points, habitat types, and associated landforms.
- Conduct fieldwork and operate 4WD and off-road vehicles in all terrain and weather conditions.
- Record data on field site forms or in digital tablets, organize and transfer field data, and help support project management team.
- Conduct all work operations with a priority for safety.
- The Natural Resources Technician will have the opportunity to learn new environmental consulting skills and launch their career into new roles.
Experience and qualifications for success
- Work towards B.A. or B.S. in Biology, Ecology, Environmental Science, Natural Resource Management, or a related field preferred but not required.
- Previous experience with wildlife and/or avian surveys preferred.
- Knowledge of biological survey techniques preferred but not required.
- Minimum of one (1) year of experience conducting field work or related outdoor work required.
- Ability to record accurate field notes and communicate effectively with project management team required.
- Ability to use or learn digital tablet for GPS navigation and recording of field data required.
- Ability to conduct fieldwork for long hours in inclement weather conditions, walk up to 10 miles per day, often in rugged terrain, and carry equipment and/or supplies, weighing up to 40 pounds required.
- Valid driver’s license and the ability to drive a 4WD vehicle on backcountry roads required.
- Ability to drive or learn to drive ATVs, UTVS, and other off-road vehicles and haul trailers required.
- Must have excellent communication, interpersonal skills, and attention to detail.
- Must have ability and willingness to learn new survey and monitoring techniques and protocols.
- Must have ability to take initiative, resolve problems, and create improved procedures to assure tasks are completed in the most effective manner.
- Flexibility and willingness to learn company operational and safety procedures required.
- Ability to work as member of a team and individually to make decisions and complete tasks in the most effective manner required.
SWCA Environmental Consultants is a growing employee-owned firm, providing a full-spectrum of environmental services. With offices across the United States, SWCA is one of the largest environmental compliance firms and ranks among Engineering News-Record’s Top 200 Environmental Firms.
If you would like to contact SWCA regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the online application process due to a disability, please email email@example.com or call 480-581-5378. This contact information is for disability accommodation requests only. All other inquiries will not receive a response.
EOE - women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.