About the opportunity
Do you thrive in the pursuit of delivering the very best in environmental consulting services for your clients? We are currently seeking a skilled National Business Line Director-Water Resources that can lead and contribute to the growth of our water practice and support SWCA’s water projects throughout the U.S.
The successful candidate will focus on identifying and evaluating opportunities in the market and building strategic teaming relationships.
This position will have reporting and communication requirements to Client Services Senior Vice President. This position can be based in any SWCA office. Highly qualified, remote candidates will also be seriously considered.
Our Vision (the North Star), Core Values, and Purpose:
Help drive SWCA to be the best workplace and industry leader in sustainability, bringing sound science and creative solutions to global environmental challenges while maintaining a dedication to employee-ownership.
We are #OneSWCA and collaborate across all our offices, programs, and disciplines. We are #AlwaysLearning, we #NeverSettle and we #GiveBack. We are 100% employee-owned, and we build our success together. It is imperative for the successful candidate to fit SWCA's unique culture. Do you appreciate sustainability and environmental awareness? Is giving back to your community a priority? SWCA is a team of scientists, planners, engineers, technical experts, and corporate services professionals that are committed to our culture.
Our Company Purpose is to preserve natural and cultural resources for tomorrow while enabling projects that benefit people today. You are invited to be a part of our success story!
What you will accomplish
Business Development & Pursuits
- Lead business development efforts to foster growth of the water resources practice and support proposal efforts in conjunction with water teams throughout the U.S.
- Lead the capture of major pursuits. Guide, mentor, and coach other capture managers to win similar opportunities. Bring discipline and rigor to the Go/No Go process and capture management positioning phase, including use of SWCA pursuit tools.
- Identify federal and state grant opportunities for clientele.
Strategic Growth Initiatives
- Create and implement long-term and annual strategies for growth.
- Develop initiatives to capture strategic federal clients, such as the Army Corps of Engineers, Bureau of Reclamation, Environmental Protection Agency, Natural Resources Conservation Service, U.S. Forest Service, and International Boundary and Water Commission.
- Develop initiatives to capture strategic state and local governmental agencies and water utilities. Develop initiatives to capture strategic opportunities within noteworthy geographies, such as the Gulf Coast, Great Lakes, Pacific Northwest, Desert Southwest, Intermountain West, and river basins such as the Colorado, Rio Grande, Columbia, and Mississippi.
- Assist offices, sub-regions and regions with identifying staff with water expertise, including co-leading strategic recruitment for senior staff.
Collaboration & Mentorship
- Independently collaborate with the water team to develop SWCA’s unique position in the market for resource assessment, planning, permitting and management.
- Engage in industry groups and committees to develop new relationships with water managers throughout the U.S.
- Work with the national water team on projects throughout the United States.
- Support our adjacent business and service lines, especially Federal Land Management, ecological restoration, engineering, and climate-driven services.
- Collaborate with the National Water Resources Technical Director.
- Mentor other water resource client and business leads.
- Develop a stable group of trusted teaming partners within the engineering and environmental sectors, including recognized small businesses and 8(a) firms.
- Work with local operational directors to develop opportunities, business plans, business development targets, and sales goals on a regular basis.
- Work closely with SWCA’s water resource scientists and planners, managers, and directors throughout the company to promote SWCA’s business interests in adherence to its mission, vision, and values.
- Work in collaboration with Marketing to develop and execute strategic marketing campaigns that position SWCA around key opportunities, ensuring alignment with strategy.
- Work in fast-paced environment with multiple changes; work under pressure & meet tight deadlines.
- Collaboratively work with multi-disciplinary staff across the company.
Experience and qualifications for success
- Bachelor’s degree in hydrology, watershed science, water resources, business, biology, environmental science, engineering, or closely related field.
- Minimum of ten (10) years of progressive experience in the water resources field.
- Proven ability to develop productive business relationships with agency, client, and industry contacts.
- Proven ability to produce high quality written reports and verbal presentations.
- Working knowledge of federal and state laws (e.g., National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA), Clean Water Act (CWA), state groundwater permitting, water rights, and water development planning) and inter-state agreements governing water resource management.
- Prior experience leading and supporting the development of successful water resources proposals and leading and participating in client interviews.
- Prior successful experience mentoring and coaching staff.
Preferred Qualifications or Helpful:
- Master’s Degree in a related field preferred.
- Industry leadership roles held through professional organizations.
- Prior publishing of technical papers, delivering technical presentations, and elevating the company brand in the water resource market.
- Prior supervising of staff to include professional development goals and growth.
SWCA Environmental Consultants is a growing employee-owned firm, providing a full spectrum of environmental services. With offices across the United States, SWCA is one of the largest environmental compliance firms and ranks among Engineering News-Record’s Top 200 Environmental Firms.
If you would like to contact SWCA regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the online application process due to a disability, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
EOE - women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.
SWCA is committed to salary equity and salary transparency for all its employees. In alignment with this commitment, SWCA posts good faith pay ranges in all its advertised job postings to promote pay equity and transparency.
An employee in this position can expect a salary between $137,280.00/year to $193,440.00/year. Actual pay within this range may depend on experience, qualifications, geographic location, client requirements where applicable, and other factors permitted by law. Regular-status employees are also eligible for performance bonuses. Candidates are also encouraged to consider SWCA’s Total Rewards package, which includes a competitive Benefits package, forward-thinking workplace flexibility, outstanding corporate culture, award-winning career development, and more.
Employees in this position are eligible for consideration for SWCA’s bonus program, which provides awards based on individual and organizational performance.
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.