Location: Ottawa, Ontario (currently remote working)
Position type: Permanent, full-time
Reporting to: Program Knowledge Manager
Bargaining unit status: Included
Classification: Band 5
Salary range: CA$62,320 - CA$75,931 per annum
Language requirements: Bilingualism (English & French or English & Spanish) is essential
Eligibility: Local National; must be legally entitled to work in Canada
ABOUT CUSO INTERNATIONAL
Cuso International is a global non-profit organization committed to ending poverty and inequality. Cuso works with local partners around the world to improve economic opportunities for all, enhance women’s and girls’ empowerment, and advance gender equality. By sharing skills, we are building sustainable futures. Each year, we amplify our impact by mobilizing hundreds of professionals who volunteer their time and share their experience.
Find out more at www.cusointernational.org
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) Specialist is a key member of the International Programs Team at Cuso International. Under the direction of the Program Knowledge Manager, the MEAL Specialist will work cross-functionally with colleagues, technical experts, and project staff in the headquarters and field offices on the design and implementation of the Cuso International MEAL Framework and strategic plan. They will provide direction and support for all programs and projects, including the Volunteer Cooperation Program funded project, through gender-responsive technical leadership, guidance and support in the areas of monitoring and evaluation, data analysis and visualization, impact measurement, reporting, strategic decision-making, and learning.
Volunteer Cooperation Program (VCP) MEAL framework
- Lead the design, development and operationalization of a gender-sensitive MEAL framework for the VCP-funded project, including the design and deployment of monitoring guidance and tools, data analysis and visualization techniques, feedback and reporting mechanisms in line with donor requirements.
Designing efficient MEAL systems
- In close collaboration with the Program Knowledge Manager, support the design, implementation and monitoring of Cuso's global MEAL framework
- Provide technical direction and support for the design, development and operationalization of gender -sensitive MEAL frameworks for projects, processes and strategies for new and ongoing projects in line with Cuso’s global MEAL framework
- Lead the monitoring of Cuso's programs and projects to ensure technical consistency and harmonized and sound performance measurement practices are in place and adhered to.
- In collaboration with colleagues, program managers, technical experts and external consultants when needed, coordinate data collection and analysis, including compilation of raw data, providing technical leadership in the definition of data analysis and visualization techniques and documenting lessons learned and best practices to support programming, strategic planning, and decision-making.
Information and Knowledge Management
- Design and facilitate workshops for Cuso International Staff at HQ and field offices on Results Based Management (RBM), M&E, reporting protocols, data sense-making and how to incorporate M&E findings for project design, planning and implementation.
- In collaboration with IT team, support data management and storage of MEAL related data for Cuso International programs
- Support the design and implementation of strategies and products that stimulate collaborative learning, knowledge exchange and bottom‐up participation of Cuso International staff, in coordination with the Program Knowledge Manager.
- Assist the review and adoption of technological solutions in MEAL practice throughout the organization
- Lead the definition and enforcement of Quality Assurance (QA), Quality Control (QC) and Quality Improvement (QI) measures for data analysis and reporting initiatives.
- Participate and represent Cuso International in relevant MEAL coordination networks
- Provide technical assistance to Cuso International senior management team through the collection and analysis of data to guide strategic planning and decision-making and to monitor project implementation
- Lead project reporting processes and prepare high‐quality written reports according to Cuso International standards and donor requirements for the VCP project and provide technical assistance to reporting for other projects
- Generate program information and dash boards for tracking and depicting progress on program and strategy implementation against targets and key milestones.
- Support program development initiatives by advising and supporting with the design of sound MEAL frameworks based on sector specific practices, including development of standard tools and templates
- In collaboration with the GESI Specialist, support coordination of sector specific research initiatives to support gender-sensitive and evidence-based program development and implementation.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- University degree in International Development or a similar relevant field of study
- Minimum of 7 years of Monitoring and Evaluation experience with responsibility for designing and implementing M&E systems for results‐based management, covering a wide range of topics including theories of change, logic models, quantitative and qualitative data collection methodologies, indicator formulation, target setting, evidence-based decision-making, strategic planning and reporting, beneficiary monitoring, and evaluation techniques
- Experience with data collection in developing countries or vulnerable settings
- Knowledge of a variety of data collection and evaluation methodologies and experience developing MEAL Frameworks at a project, program or organizational level
- Excellent knowledge of Results‐Based Management (RBM) and the specific frameworks being used by donors, particularly GAC
- Experience designing and implementing participatory monitoring, evaluation, learning, and knowledge management tools and processes
- Knowledge of data collection, analysis of visualization software such as R, Python, SPSS, Tableau or other statistical program, PowerBi, Kobo Toolbox and similar tools
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple stakeholders and timelines in the collection, analysis, and reporting and visualization of various sources of data
- Proven ability to manage complex and demanding workload, to set own priorities, and to work with minimal supervision
- Ability to inspire individuals and teams and to encourage innovative thinking
- Familiarity with the use of online systems for collecting and managing monitoring and evaluation data and with MEAL‐related technologies
- Committed team player who can work across teams and professional skill sets in different cultural contexts and build effective working relationships
- Excellent verbal and written English and French or English and Spanish communication skills
- Availability to travel internationally two to four times per year (approximately 6 weeks in a year)
- Good IT skills and ability to be self‐serving Office 365, PowerPoint, and Excel
- Ability to translate technical knowledge into sharable resources according to the needs of different audiences.
- Experience with monitoring and evaluation capacity building through training, workshops, coaching and mentoring
- Experience with M&E and data analysis for strategic planning and decision-making
HOW TO APPLY
Cuso International is committed to creating and fostering an inclusive culture. We strive to actively celebrate diversity, advance our equitable practices, and drive greater inclusion. We offer a comprehensive employee benefits package and insurance, generous days of paid time off, including vacation, personal days, and sick days, and more.
Please click the "Apply for This Job" button to submit your application. Expressions of interest should be sent in English. Your résumé and one-page cover letter should demonstrate how you meet all the essential and any desirable qualifications.
Please note that a confirmation email will be generated once you submit your application, but it may be directed to your spam or junk folders of your email inbox.
Cuso International is an equal opportunity employer and encourage applications from all qualified applicants. Accommodations will be provided at any stages of the hiring process upon request. Thank you for your interest in Cuso International.