All Hands and Hearts is a disaster relief nonprofit. Our program bases are located in the communities we serve, and depending on the role you apply for you may be required to visit and/or live in our communal program environments. Please note that vaccination is required for all in-person work environments, including program bases and offices. You will also be expected to adhere to particular safety protocols (including relating to COVID-19), and should understand your responsibility for the safety of yourself and others around you. We will always provide an option for travel-exempt staff to join meetings and events virtually, to ensure we provide an inclusive environment for those who are unvaccinated or at high risk.
Diversity is the acknowledgment, promotion and celebration of our differences and similarities. All racial identities, ethnicities, sexes, nationalities, gender identities and expressions, physical and mental abilities, sexual orientations, ages, spiritualities, points of view and socioeconomic statuses can fit in with us. We support individuals from around the world and serve communities affected by disasters with purpose. Response, recovery, resilience and renewal are why we exist. Respect for the value of diversity, inclusion and social justice drives us forward every day. Everyone is welcome.
The start date for this position is ASAP. Must be legally authorized to work in the US.
Learn more about our California Wildfire Relief program.
A versatile position within a dynamic nonprofit that provides community-inspired, volunteer-powered disaster relief. This position is full-time and is responsible for the supervision, training, and overall site management of work sites.
- Reports to Project Manager (daily work flow is managed by the Construction Site Coordinator)
- Roles reporting to position None
- Approximate number of reports 0
- Lead teams of staff and volunteers in the field, providing training and and skilled troubleshooting and technical advice on worksites
- Provide training for volunteers in Chainsaw Safety, Bucking, and Limbing and NWCG FAL3 equivalent tasks
- Identify potential hazards and mitigating techniques given various tree species, stand conditions, and indicators of defect
- Ensure compliance with work scope and quality standards
- Communicate and delegate tasks and expectations clearly to team members
- Communicate tasks and expectations clearly to team members, providing effective technical training and constructive feedback when necessary to ensure compliance with project safety and quality standards
- Maintain a clean, safe and organized work site
- Maintain records of work completed including material usage, volunteer hours, and scopes
- Positively represent the organization on base and within the community
- We understand vaccination is the best way to protect our beneficiaries, community members, staff and volunteers, therefore we require all of our on program staff members to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. To be considered for this position you must be fully vaccinated. Subject to applicable guidance, the term fully vaccinated currently refers to when an individual has received either a single-shot vaccine or both doses of a two-shot vaccine, and two weeks have elapsed since the final dose.
- Perform other duties as required
- Is this position responsible for the operating budget of the associated department? No
- Does this position have any other financial responsibilities? No
- Education High school diploma or equivalent training and experience in a relevant field.
- Related Experience A minimum of one year experience working in a disaster response context, preferably with All Hands and Hearts and one year experience in leading worksites. NWCG FAL 2 equivalent capabilities in chainsaw operations including, but not limited to: Competency felling trees of moderate complexity; Removal of hang-up trees; Proficiency in wedge awareness and wedge progression for felling operations; Basic understanding of rope operations; Competency in troubleshooting saw mechanical issues
- Special Competencies/Certifications Must be legally authorized to work in the US. Good written and oral communication skills and confident working with Google Suite, Microsoft Office, particularly Word and Excel. Applicants need to be well organized and have a flexible approach to managing multiple tasks and prioritizing them appropriately. Proactive approach to identifying problems and strong problem-solving skills with the ability to manage a large workload while performing in a fast-paced environment.
- Work Environment/Conditions Based on-program; communal living environment. High-stress situations.
Compensation & Benefits
- Pay rate is $16.00-$16.50 USD/ hour, based on position, skills and experience
- Room & board included
- Monthly R&R breaks
- Travel to and from program location
- Medical, vision, and dental insurance coverage
- Flex Spending Account
- 401K with Safe Harbor Match
All Hands and Hearts is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, or any other protected characteristic.