The Meals Production Cook (MPC) is responsible for the preparation, cooking, and production of high-quality and nutritious meals that meet FSF’s menu plans in accordance with various program guidelines. The MPC assists with volunteer training and oversight, in-house food procurement needs, and daily record-keeping, adhering to all food and warehouse safety requirements.
- Prep, cook, and prepare healthy and fresh meals daily, in accordance with program guidelines.
- The cook will assist with the training, oversight, and coordination of kitchen volunteers.
- Ensure the highest food safety and sanitation standards are met and followed in all areas of the kitchen.
- Help identify appropriate inventory to cook and prepare meals.
- Communicate and encourage volunteers while assuring guidelines are being followed.
- Have a positive and engaging disposition.
- Assist Meal Production Manager with day-to-day operations in all areas connected to food production and kitchen.
- Assist management as necessary.
- Minimum one year of high-volume kitchen experience.
- Understanding of kitchen equipment and kitchen facilities for upkeep, care, and maintenance.
- Demonstrated knowledge of cooking methods, food safety, and willingness to learn.
- Strong reading comprehension skills with the ability to follow recipes, menus, and meal pattern guidelines including nutrition information requirements.
- Culinary math skills to scale recipes, assess proper cooking yields, execute portion control while reducing waste, and convert recipes to larger batches.
- Sensitivity to diverse populations with sound judgment and the ability to serve people in a compassionate, patient, friendly, and courteous manner, showing sincere interest in people’s concerns.
- Ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment, while maintaining a positive attitude ensuring excellent customer service.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal, with comfort and ability to speak publicly and teach others.
- Detailed and thorough documentation and record-keeping skills.
- Positive attitude, flexibility, and a good sense of humor.
- Commitment to the service of others while fully supporting the organization’s mission and values.
- Access to reliable transportation to ensure daily attendance at work.
- Hours may vary seasonally and with project demands.
PHYSICAL DEMAND & WORKING CONDITIONS
- Hours of Operation: Organization hours are Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Kitchen hours may fluctuate and be project-dependent. This position may work additional hours occasionally throughout the year, especially during peak times such as holiday seasons, and disaster response.
- Environment: This position works in a kitchen setting with long periods of standing, talking, and/or visual concentration, and use of kitchen equipment that always requires the highest levels of safety standards. Occasional work will occur in the warehouse or outside in fields and warehouses in inclement weather.
- Travel: Minimal travel is required using a personal vehicle.
- OSHA Standards: Lifting requirements are 50 pounds and when lifting loads heavier than 50 pounds, use two or more people to lift the load.
Feeding South Florida (FSF) is a member of the Feeding America network and the leading domestic hunger relief organization serving Palm Beach, Broward, Miami-Dade, and Monroe Counties. As one of the largest food banks in the Feeding America network, FSF is responsible for serving 25 percent of the state’s food insecure population. A four-star rated organization by Charity Navigator, FSF is one of the most efficient nonprofits nationally; over 98 percent of all donations are put back into the community.
FSF values service above all else. We’re looking for innovative and strategic thinkers who are committed to improving the lives of those around them. FSF “Friendly Food Bankers” embrace the enormity of our role in the community and know that serving others comes before any one individual. Friendly Food Bankers have compassion, dedication, act with integrity, and are committed to stewardship and inclusion.
**Full medical, dental, and vision insurance; 401K matching contribution, Paid Time Off (PTO); a diverse team that is representative of the community we serve; continuous learning opportunities; a high-performance culture that will help challenge and grow your skill set.
Salary: $18.00 - $20.00 per hour
Equal Opportunity Employer/Drug-Free Workplace/ADA Compliant