Nonviolent Peaceforce (NP) envisions a worldwide culture of peace where conflicts within and between communities and nations are managed through nonviolent means. NP is a global civil society organization that works with people affected by violent conflicts to enhance their security and dignity through unarmed civilian protection (UCP) and by helping to transform the world’s response to conflict situations.
We work with people affected by violent conflicts to enhance their security and dignity through unarmed civilian protection (UCP). We work to reduce violence and protect civilians in countries affected by violent conflict and its aftermath and to help transform the world’s response to conflict situations. Current programs are based in Iraq, Myanmar, Philippines, South Sudan, Sudan, Thailand, Ukraine, and the United States.
- Assist Nonviolent Peaceforce Communications & Development staff to optimize digital marketing initiatives, including: SEO and metadata, photo asset management, and administrative tasks. Training and feedback provided.
- SEO and metadata
- Be prepared to learn and understand search engine optimization techniques, strategies, and processes
- Optimize website copy for blog posts
- Complete keyword research
- Write title tags, meta descriptions, and photo alt texts
- Identify internal linking opportunities
- Learn and use Google Analytics
- Photo asset management
- Work with the External Relations Manager on internal and external photo asset management, with special attention to Nonviolent Peaceforce’s safeguarding and ethical image use policies
- Internal: Manage photo and consent form documentation
- External: Upload and organize approved photos on Flickr; tag existing and new photos on Flickr
- Assist the Communications Specialist with posting content on social media
- Assist the External Relations Manager and the Communications & Development team with other duties as assigned
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive information with discretion
- Interest in a career that blends analytics (looking at data, analytics, and performance trends) and creativity (helping write web copy and meta data)
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Time management skills: ability to prioritize tasks for efficient execution
- Knowledge of current events and social issues, an interest in civilian protection and nonviolent methods
- Attention to detail
- Able to follow written and verbal directions well, able to work autonomously
- Commitment to work cooperatively and grow personally
- Commitment to the mission of Nonviolent Peaceforce
- Constantly operates a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as a calculator, copy machine, and printer.
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position 50% of the time.
- The ability to communicate information and ideas so others will understand. Must be able to exchange accurate information in these situations.
COMMITMENT TO NP PRINCIPLES
- Demonstrate a commitment to NP’s mission and principles
- Work in accordance with the organization's guiding principles:
- Primacy of local actors
- Civilian-to-civilian action
- These principles and beliefs shall guide our actions and relationships in all programmatic areas and activities.
- Patience, persistence, and a sense of humor
- SEO, WordPress, Google Analytics, Sharepoint, or Social Media experience
- Able to learn from successes and mistakes
- Mentorship & Feedback
- Letter of Recommendation after successful completion of service
- Project management experience
- Training on SEO, WordPress, and Sharepoint
- Training on Safeguarding and Ethical Image Use
- Work with and contribute to an international human rights nonprofit organization
- Belong to a community committed to learning and growing together
- Work in a professional atmosphere
- College credit may be available through intern's school
This internship will run from approximately May 2023 to August 2023.
Please note, due to volume of applicants we will only respond to those whom we will request to interview.
HOW TO APPLY
- Candidates meeting the above requirements are requested to submit a CV/resume (max. 2 pages) and cover letter (max. 1 page) detailing your experience and how you qualify for the role. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Applications will be considered on a rolling basis
- Interviews could be on a rolling basis therefore a candidate may be identified before the closing date
- As part of the recruitment process, shortlisted candidates may be asked to complete a written assignment and if successful, participate in an interview process
- Please provide the name, contact information, and relationship for three professional references.
Nonviolent Peaceforce is an equal opportunity employer and actively promotes diversity in its staff. We welcome applications from all suitably qualified people, regardless of their gender, race, disability, sexual orientation, or age.
We believe that systemic inequality disproportionately hurts the most marginalized people in society, including Black, Indigenous and People of Color (BIPOC), people from working-class backgrounds, women, and LGBTQ people. Because NP believes that these communities must be centered in the work we do to reduce violence arising due to racism, we strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or who are members of other marginalized communities.
Nonviolent Peaceforce acknowledges the duty of care to safeguard and promote the welfare of employees, contractors, volunteers, interns, beneficiaries, and other stakeholders and is committed to ensuring safeguarding practice reflects statutory responsibilities, government guidance and complies with best practice in the Humanitarian and Development Sector.