Job Title: Manager, Rapid Response Media
Location: Remote - Worldwide (with significant overlap with US business hours)
Start Date: Immediately
Reports to: Senior Director, Media and Advocacy
Verra is a global leader helping to tackle the world’s most intractable environmental and social challenges. As a mission-driven non-profit organization, Verra is committed to helping reduce greenhouse gas emissions, improve livelihoods and protect natural resources across the private and public sectors. We support climate action and sustainable development with standards, tools, and programs that credibly, transparently, and robustly assess environmental and social impacts and enable funding for sustaining and scaling up projects that verifiably deliver these benefits. We work in any arena where we see a need for clear standards, a role for market-based mechanisms, and an opportunity to generate significant environmental and social value.
Verra manages a portfolio of standards, including the:
- Verified Carbon Standard (VCS)-- the world’s leading carbon crediting program, with more than 1600 registered projects in 80 countries and accounting for two-thirds of all voluntary carbon market transaction volume.
- Sustainable Development Verified Impact Standard (SD VISta)-- a flexible framework for assessing and reporting on the sustainable development benefits of project-based activities.
- Climate, Community & Biodiversity (CCB) Standards-- to identify projects that simultaneously address climate change, support local communities and smallholders, and conserve biodiversity.
- Plastic Waste Reduction Program-- to enable robust impact assessment of new or scaled-up waste recovery and recycling projects around the globe.
With the rapid growth in carbon markets increasing media attention and scrutiny to the field, Verra is seeking a Manager, Rapid Response Media to actively monitor breaking news developments and identify how the organization could play a role in the conversation; and, critically, to respond to breaking news involving or targeting Verra. This position will also work closely with the Manager, Media Relations during all-hands-on-deck reactive opportunities.
You bring with you...
- 7-10 years of experience working directly with the media in a rapid response context.
- Experience forging new relationships with journalists by understanding their beats, their needs, and how to meet them.
- The ability to quickly onboard, process, and message complex issues.
- Excellent news sense and judgment.
- An understanding that speed is essential in effectively shaping the media conversation – but also an understanding that the most important determinant of the success of rapid response outreach is less rushing without purpose and more insightful planning.
- A commitment to meeting the climate challenge by supporting pragmatic, impactful solutions that are worth fighting for.
In this role, you will grow and expand your expertise by...
- Gaining an intimate understanding of carbon finance, which will become increasingly important as the world moves to address climate.
- Becoming an integral part of the world’s leading environmental and social standard setter.
- Having the opportunity to advance as the need to communicate these complex strategies increases.
You will know you are successful if...
- You establish yourself as a trusted source of information for reporters covering the sector.
- You identify reactive media opportunities on a regular basis and, when Verra chooses to engage, are one of the first media professionals to contact key reporters.
- You are able to answer inquiries and understand and explain the broader context in which we operate.
You will join a team...
- From diverse locations and backgrounds, including carbon market experts, project developers, consultants, climate negotiators, researchers, auditors, and more.
- Committed to driving finance at scale to projects and programs that advance climate action and sustainable development through high-quality standards and programs.
- That embodies the values Verra has established for itself, and which include Teamwork, Results, Integrity, Balance, and Exploration.
Compensation at Verra
To help us attract and retain top talent, Verra pays employees competitively to the market. In return, we expect each employee to, at a minimum:
- Meet expectations in terms of work effort and performance;
- Take the initiative to build the skills and knowledge needed to do their job effectively; and
- Embody Verra’s values.
For this position, the salary range is USD $81,371 - $92,383, depending on market standards and experience.
We will recognize employees who go beyond expected performance with salary increases and/or promotions, but the bar for earning those rewards is high.
Salary is one component of Verra’s total compensation package, which also includes:
- Health, vision and dental care, and life insurance;
- Verra contributions to each employee’s retirement plan;
- Verra contributions as required by national labor laws in countries where staff are located;
- Paid Time Off (PTO), comprising 22-30 days plus eleven floating holidays, sabbatical after five years of service, and other leave allowances; and
- Funds to support professional development.
How to Apply
To apply, please send us the following:
- Cover letter (not to exceed one page)
- Resume/CV (not to exceed two pages)
*Please add app.bamboohr.com to your contact list to ensure you receive emails from us*
Verra provides equal opportunity for all job applicants and employees and is committed to providing a work environment free of discrimination. We conduct our recruitment and hiring without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital status, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, genetics, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, and local law.