This position is located in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. We are accepting applications through September 2, 2022.
Who is Water Mission?
Water Mission is a nonprofit Christian engineering organization that designs, builds, and implements safe water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH) solutions for people in developing countries and disaster areas. Guided by love, excellence, and integrity, we are driven to share clean, safe water and God’s love with all. To date, we have served more than 7 million people in 57 countries. Working at Water Mission is as much a calling as it is a career, and we are searching for people with the courage, passion, and drive to help us change the world. Read more about our Statement of Faith and Christian Mission.
What is the opportunity?
Under the guidance of the Country Director, The Lead Engineer directly supports Water Mission’s vision of providing safe water and an opportunity to share God’s love with all. This position entails providing technical guidance and support to Water Mission Tanzania Engineers and technicians following the Tanzania Country Program’s established standards and procedures. This is a full-time position that requires residency in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. The position might require frequent travel to remote locations within Tanzania and occasionally outside of Tanzania to carry out assessments and to support some of the technical aspects of the organization.
A successful Lead Engineer will:
- Maintain a strong Christian witness to colleagues, donors, volunteers, and the general public.
- Understand, support, and nurture the Vision, Mission, and Core values of Water Mission.
- Conduct engineering field work and design according to established engineering principles and standards to a high degree of excellence and dependable accuracy.
- Lead the technical team, oversight, review and assistance for technicians, volunteers, and other engineers to ensure quality of output and adherence to established standards.
- Promote, encourage, and model Water Mission’s mission, vision, and values to the technical team members.
- Help train and facilitate a culture of capacity building for team members.
- Perform Engineering tasks including water hydraulic design, solar and electrical design, and development of plans, specifications, and structural drawings.
- Provide onsite site visits for the purpose of quality control and instruction of field engineers and technicians in support of approved projects.
- Champion and ensure that WMT QA/QC (Quality Assurance/Quality Control standards and procedures) is upheld by the technical team.
- Lead technical and systems innovation that seeks to further our mission.
- Layout and design of water systems including source, pumping, treatment, storage and distribution.
- Ensure that all work, including that of the Lead Engineer, is reviewed by another engineer as designated by the Country Director.
- Perform assessments in communities, including water quality and quantity testing, survey measurements and other aspects as may be required.
- Timely Project reporting, including monthly report, Assessment report, follow up report with accompanied photographs as per specific assignment guideline.
- Provide disaster response support and work in other countries as needed.
- Other tasks as may be assigned.
What is required?
- Alignment with Water Mission’s Statement of Faith and core values of Love, Excellence, and Integrity.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering – Civil, Chemical, or Mechanical are preferred (Master’s degree and/or Project Management certifications are desirable but can be offset with quality experience).
- Minimum experience of at least 8 years in similar project work.
- Registration as a professional engineer in Tanzania.
- Driver’s license.
- Advanced skills with office computer (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) and drafting and modeling programs (AutoCAD, EPANET, PowerCADD, SolidWorks, ProE).
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills (English).
- Excellent analytical skills, process design skills and project planning and management skills.
- A level of impeccable integrity and stewardship that demonstrates to those who invest in Water Mission Tanzania a sense of security and trust that their gifts are well used and invested.
- Must be standards and detail-oriented with ability to plan ahead.
- A strong work ethic.
- Ability and willingness to travel for fieldwork.
- Legal authorization to work in Tanzania.