Are you someone with strong leadership and technical capabilities? Do you enjoy building relationships and working collaboratively in a team environment with both internal and external stakeholders? Are you a thought leader, a trusted advisor and a problem solver? If you enjoy entrepreneurship and innovation, this opportunity is for you! As someone with excellent communication skills and business acumen, you will thrive in our fast-paced and agile environment.
Dillon’s Transportation & Facilities technical group is looking for an Intermediate to Senior Structural Engineer (Facilities) to join our multidisciplinary team of professionals. You will have the opportunity to work on new and exciting projects while providing clients with a fully integrated and superior customer experience.
At Dillon, we operate as one team. This position is available at any of the following Ontario offices: Windsor and Chatham.
What your day will look like
- Contribute technical expertise through design leadership on a variety of structural projects, including new-build and renovation projects in commercial, industrial and institutional market segments
- Prepare specifications and details for drawing production
- Review designs, drawings and specifications to ensure accuracy and conformance with applicable Codes and Standards
- Investigate existing structures and prepare condition assessment reports
- Review of shop drawings and provide field services in design and construction
- Develop and manage discipline and/or project budgets and schedules
- Work with multi-discipline teams and coordinate structural scope with all aspects of the project
- Coordinate structural engineering team activities and support to project managers/technical staff in the delivery of multidisciplinary projects across the company
- Input to operating teams to facilitate productivity/workflow
- Coordinate design team activities to maintain project schedules and ensure successful project completion
- Coordinate with sub-consultants and clients
- Leadership in providing quality client services, with particular emphasis with commercial and industrial clients within the Facilities market
- Leadership in expanding existing Dillon services and cross-selling Dillon services, with particular emphasis with institutional, commercial and industrial clients within the Facilities market
- Contribute to proposals and development and new business opportunities
- Business travel upon request
- Provide technical expertise to the development and implementation of technical tools
- Contribute to and encourage innovation/innovating on projects
Learning & Development
- Commit to self-development and ongoing learning and professional development
- Input to the career development of junior staff, including technical direction, training recommendations, coaching and mentoring
- Contribute to Dillon’s corporate profile through active participation in professional associations and committees
What you will need to succeed
- A degree in civil engineering. Graduate level degree would be an asset
- Licensed to practice as a professional engineer or eligible to be licensed within six months
- At least eight years' relevant work experience in structural design
- Experienced in the design of reinforced concrete, masonry, wood and structural steel buildings
- Experience in the design of water/wastewater facilities and liquid containing concrete tanks and other structures
- Proficient in the full range of design activities, including preparation of preliminary and detail design drawings and reports, contract document preparation and tendering
- Demonstrated knowledge of relevant structural engineering Codes and Standards
- Proficiency in the use of STAAD Pro and Structure Point computer modeling and analysis software and familiarity with current AutoCAD and Revit software
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Proficiency providing technical leadership to a team of professionals
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills along with both verbal and written communication
- Strong technical report and specification writing skills
- Strong attention to detail, accuracy and organization
- Capable of working on and leading several projects at the same time and with projects in different stages
- Experience in construction contract administration would be an asset
Why choose Dillon
Dillon is powered by people who are technically proficient, passionate about socially important projects, and motivated to deliver superior, tangible results. We strive to remain at the forefront of technology and innovation, and are empowered to continually grow and develop.
We live our core values:
- Reliability: words result in actions that build trust;
- Achievement: do the work to hit the target;
- Continuous development: always learning; always adapting; always growing;
- Creativity: discover new possibilities;
- Courage: do the things that matter, especially when it’s hard;
- Inclusiveness: enabling belonging to draw strength from our differences.
In addition, we offer:
- Employee share purchase plan
- Dillon is 100% employee owned and share ownership is open to all employees.
- A competitive compensation package
- Comprehensive health benefits
- Generous retirement savings plan
- Student loan repayment assistance with matching employer contributions
- Flexible work hours and remote working options
- Dillon values its staff and the contributions that are made each day and understands that work arrangements can differ based on personal needs and business needs. We are taking a trust-based approach to oﬀer a variety of ﬂexible and remote work options to help balance the competing demands of work and personal life.
- Learning and Development opportunities
- As a knowledge-based business, the organic growth of our knowledge and skills occur through our work performance and roles. The creation and sharing of knowledge allows us to take local knowledge to scale, capture lessons learned through experience, and continuously improve service delivery. The development of self and others is an evident and measured core behaviour within our organization.
- We use a composite approach to development including coaching to build the how, mentoring to share lessons, advising to round out perspectives, and co-creation of knowledge through internal, learning opportunities.
- Focus on Innovation
- The ability to anticipate, examine, and adopt new and innovative solutions is a crucial driver for the continual and progressive advancement of our business performance. In our culture, people are empowered to reflect and question current practices and seek forward looking solutions to today’s problems and tomorrow’s opportunities.
- Employee and Family Assistance program
- A variety of EFAP tools and online resources to support well-being are available to all employees.
- Wellness Subsidy
- Our employees can take advantage of wellness subsidy that can be put towards expenses for a variety of health and/or wellness related activities such as gym membership, purchase of home fitness equipment, yoga classes and dance classes.
Dillon is a proudly Canadian, employee-owned, professional consulting firm specializing in planning, engineering, environmental science and management. We partner with clients to provide committed, collaborative, and inventive solutions to complex, multi-faceted projects. With 20 offices and more than 1000 employees across Canada, Dillon offers a wide range of services related to building and improving facilities and infrastructure, protecting the environment, and developing communities.
Now operating for over 75 years, we continue to strive for excellence in everything we do. Dillon has been listed as one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies for the past 16 years and has the distinction of having achieved Platinum Club member status in this program.
Employment Equity, Diversity & Inclusion at Dillon:
Dillon is committed to the principles of employment equity, inclusiveness, and diversity within our organization. We strive to achieve a workplace where opportunities are based on skills and abilities and that respects and values differences.
Inclusion is more than a word to us, it is the way we choose to run our business.
Please connect with us if you require accommodation in the interview process. We would love to hear from you!