C-Quest Capital LLC (CQC) is a leading global carbon project developer, social impact investor and climate finance specialist. Our mission is to transform the lives of families in the poorest communities in developing countries by providing access to clean and sustainable energy solutions and improving the health and wellbeing of women and children. We do this through making investments in carbon reduction and removal programs, which provide clean and efficient energy appliances, small-scale agriculture and forestry services to the rural poor.
CQC’s carbon programs have improved the lives of over 20 million people in Africa, India, Southeast Asia and Central America. Our ambition is to reach over 175 million people by 2035 and we are well on our path to do so with current committed funding.
CQC is headquartered in Washington DC, USA, with subsidiaries in India, Malaysia, Singapore, Cambodia and Australia.
CQC is expanding its Legal team and hiring a Head of Risk and Compliance. This is a new role reporting to CQC’s Group General Counsel.
USA – Washington, DC or London, UK
Role Description**:** The Head of Risk and Compliance works as part of the Legal department and will provide subject matter expertise with applicable legal and compliance standards and risk frameworks to identify and mitigate compliance risks in CQC’s operations. The Head of Risk and Compliance will identify compliance risks and mitigation strategies, coordinate advice from outside counsel, implement controls and processes, manage compliance program workflow, help to resolve challenging compliance problems, and communicate clearly with business stakeholders. This individual will play an important role in the continued development of CQC’s compliance programs, and drive the execution of our various legal compliance programs, including policy governance, gifts and entertainment requests, privacy operations data governance, sanctions screening and compliance, and legal compliance training and communications. The role is ideal for someone who is a proactive self-starter and a strategic and practical thinker, who provides practical advice, who has a thirst for knowledge and continued growth, all while working as part of a great legal team.
- Act as Secretary of the Management Risk Committee (and reporting to the CFO (Chair of Risk Committee) on ‘Risk’ related issues)
- Work with external consultants on establishing and implementing a comprehensive risk management framework and plan.
- Put in place and updating the risk register in terms of probability/impact etc.
- Provide internal support and training to Department Heads on risk identification processes and procedures.
- Keep up to date with external best practice approaches in regards to risk management for a company of CQC’s size and type.
- Present to the risk management committee the risk register, risk analysis and risk management framework for review, approval and update on a regular basis.
- Develop risk management controls and systems.
- Work with ‘risk owners’ to avoid, control, transfer or retain potential risks.
- Administer and manage the company’s various legal compliance programs, as well as related training and communications.
- Work closely with the Technology and Accounting teams to identify and mitigate enterprise risks, as well as implement controls and processes.
- Conduct reviews to identify, assess, and advise on compliance and operational risks and controls.
- Develop, enhance and implement risk and compliance policies, procedures and related training.
- Oversee the company’s sanctions screening and compliance.
- Support core privacy operations processes. Escalate and resolve project issues, mitigate risks, and monitor project status to ensure on time project delivery.
- Collaborate across departments to support the development of programs to mitigate data security and governance risks relating to our internal and customer data. Maintain compliance support operations processes.
- Provide point of contact for business partner compliance-related inquiries and collaborate across teams to ensure compliance and privacy support operations processes are fulfilled and operating smoothly.
- Perform risk reporting, creating reports to inform stakeholders and risk owners.
- Analyze business initiatives, products and processes to ensure they comply with applicable laws and regulations; and practice sound judgement to effectively assess and balance risk in the provision of compliance advice to the business.
- Maintain expert knowledge of applicable laws and regulations, keeping up and advising the business on current developments.
- Design, develop and maintain disaster recovery and business continuity plans.
- Bachelor's degree and 15+ years of regulatory compliance, risk management and project management experience, preferably JD and 10+ years of experience (Project Management Professional certification a plus).
- Detail oriented, well organized and technically-adept.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong computer skills – MS Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint).
- High degree of professional ethics and integrity.
The successful candidate is likely to have:
- Experience with one or more of the following compliance frameworks, controls, and best practices: regulations governing anti-corruption and bribery, anti-money laundering, trade sanctions, data privacy, and other regulatory compliance frameworks.
- Experience with international growth and implementing local jurisdiction-based compliance programs, particularly in Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Strong interpersonal skills and experience in working cross-functionally with a variety of teams, with lawyers and non-lawyers.
- Self-starter with the ability to learn in a fast-paced environment with minimal supervision.
- Experience in compiling, coordinating, and analyzing regulatory compliance requirement data.
- Experience with compliance audits and risk assessments.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Experience in a risk management role in a global enterprise.