World Resource Institute is hiring a
This position can be based in either Kigali, Rwanda or Nairobi, Kenya. Existing work authorization for Kenya is required. This position will be a hybrid model of remote and in-office if based in Nairobi, Kenya. If based in Kigali, Rwanda, the position will be remote initially with the possibility to become hybrid.
**About the Program:
The Global Restoration Initiative (GRI) is part of the Food, Forests, Water and Ocean Program at WRI. The GRIworks with governments and international partners to inspire, enable and implement restoration on degraded landscapes, returning them to economic and environmental productivity. Alongside IUCN and other partners, WRI has identified more than two billion hectares of cleared and degraded forest and agricultural lands suitable for restoration – an area roughly twice the size of China. Using this data as a foundation, we work to promote restoration of degraded lands back into natural forests, agroforestry systems, or productive agriculture. Embracing forest and landscape restoration will allow for a world in which the amount of forest cover grows while the productivity of existing agricultural land increases.
In WRI Africa, restoration is anchored within the Vital Landscapes Pillar, which aims at revitalizing and protecting landscapes for people and planet. The Vital Landscapes Pillar aims to build the resilience of our natural ecosystems to sustainably provide vital ecosystems services such as food, water, carbon sequestration and climate regulation.
As a member of the GRI Operations Team, you will provide administrative oversight and support program operations for a varied portfolio of projects funded by multiple donors, including foreign governments and foundations. You will ensure accurate grants and contracts management, offer financial oversight, foster partner collaboration, and contribute to event coordination. As a Grants & Finance Specialist, you will have the opportunity to develop your career in non-profit operations and financial management. You will be supported by the GRI's Operations and Management team, along with WRI’s Accounting, Grants and Contracts teams, and project managers within the Forest Program. You will report to the Finance and Administration Specialist of the Vital Landscapes Pillar.**What will you do:
Grant Financial Management (45%):**
• Coordinate with and advise project leads on budget management, including the use of budgeting software, monthly financial tracking, and supporting project managers in expense forecasting and revenue analysis
• Review, update, and monitor all transactions, invoices, commitments, and revenue prospects
• Follows WRI’s internal processes and deadlines related to funding, including quarterly reviews, financial reporting, monthly and annual closeouts, and future fiscal year annual budget submission
**Grant and Subagreement Management (50%):
• Work directly with funders to request and submit prime award amendments, payment request, and other funder related needs
• Process and execute new subgrants, contracts, and amendments
• Process invoices and payments for projects in compliance with WRI’s policies
• Monitor partners to ensure the timely and accurate submission of progress and financial reports
**Program Administration and Operations (5%):
• Monitor compliance with and advise teams on institutional policies, such as WRI’s travel and expense policy
• Support miscellaneous project operations needs, including personnel processes, labor forecasting and guidance processes, and IT
• Advise team on budget management and address any financial issues in coordination with the Operations Manager
• Track program funding opportunities and record information in on-line tracking systems.
What will you need:
Education: You have a completed bachelor's degree in finance, business administration, public administration, non-profit management, or other relevant study areaExperience: You have 3+ years full-time relevant work experience in operations, grant administration, budgeting, or financial management
• Experience with expense forecasting, grant compliance, and monitoring subgrants and contracts
• Experience interacting with multiple stakeholders and cross-collaboration with teams
• Experience with financial software, such as TM1 or Cognos and with CRM software such as Salesforce desirable
Languages: You have verbal and written proficiency in English. Proficiency in French desirableRequirements: Existing work authorization is required where this position is based. WRI is unable to authorize visa work authorization.
**How to Apply:
Please submit a resume with cover letter by Monday July 3 2****023. You must apply through the WRI Careers portal to be considered.
What we offer:
Founded in 1982, World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, nonprofit global research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity, and human well-being. We are working to address seven critical challenges that the world must overcome this decade to secure a sustainable future for people and the planet: climate change, energy, food, forests, water, sustainable cities, and the ocean. WRI has a global staff of over 1,800 people with work spanning 60 countries. We have offices in Africa, Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, Mexico, Colombia and the United States, as well as a growing presence in other countries and regions.
The foundation of our work is delivering high-quality research, data, maps, and analysis to solve the world’s greatest environment and international development challenges and improve people’s lives. We work with leaders in government, business, and civil society to drive ambitious action and create change on the ground. Equally important, we bring together partners to develop breakthrough ideas and scale-up solutions for far-reaching, enduring impact.
Our mission and values:
WRI’s mission is to move human society to live in ways that protect our Earth’s natural resources and their capacity to provide for current and future generations.
Our values are shared ideals: Integrity, Innovation, Urgency, Independence, Respect.
WRI is committed to advancing gender and social equity for human well-being in our mission and applies this principle to our organizational and programmatic practices. We are committed to providing equal opportunities in employment, we embrace all diversity and encourage women, the LGBTQ+ community, persons with disabilities, Afro-descendants, and Indigenous people to apply. Recognizing our strong commitment to gender equality, WRI has also been awarded EDGE certification.
Human Resources carefully reviews all applications.**