Heifer International is an equal-opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin,
gender, gender identify, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among
other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
The ideal candidate will be a worldwide technology expert responsible for scaling successful digital tools incubated within country and providing advisory on a global digital strategy based on aggregate country requirements. They will serve as a bridge between developers and project managers ensuring that solution delivery remains technically sound and contextually specific. They will manage the digital infrastructure and curate a resource environment that supports the efficient build and delivery of solutions within and across Heifer’s global network. They will support countries with capacity development and will mentor local staff on technical disciplines as needed. They will support business development efforts for large-scale technology partnerships that will drive increased efficiencies around development costs and scalability of solutions. They will be responsible for ensuring the sustainability and viability of global digital solutions and partnerships.
Essential Character Traits:
Collaborative-first mindset, proactive, commitment to high-quality results, outcomes and impact-focused, open to new ways of working, unafraid of ambiguity, honest and accountable
- Manage Global programs and initiatives that provide strategic disruption through the introduction of digital technologies that benefit smallholder farmers and producer organizations
- Manage relevant budgets for global solutions, 1M-50M range.
- Create and evolve an adaptive digital infrastructure model using best-of-breed solutions with an emphasis on open-source technologies
- Lead the development of an open-source and cloud-based resource library that brings awareness to existing and new digital tooling per value chains/use case
- Directly build and manage a cross-functional and cross-disciplinary team of internal and external experts (external, regional, and country-levels) and develop a robust framework that enables global scalability of digital technologies
- Participate in the development of digital transformation program design and implementation and enable strong partnership with country staff to support the sustainable and responsible introduction of digital tools and infrastructure
- Support a worldwide partnership engagement strategy and connect opportunities and relationships to Global digital transformation initiatives
- Manage development intake and identify product requirements through consultation with country/program teams and prioritize agile development around existing and new solutions
- Directly build and manage a team of developers and niche SMEs (external and internal) to support customized product adaptation, composition with existing off-the-shelf tools, or net-new development
- Report on global product level impact metrics and prioritize scale of most impactful solutions
- Create a global learning environment where technical content is translated into digestible insights and best practices that can be shared widely internally and provide thought leadership externally
- Define a replicable model for product + impact level metrics, and support Heifer Labs leadership in the development of digital indicators which can be used to measure progress toward strategic organizational impact goals
- Advanced technical (computer science, software engineering, or related discipline) or business degree and the following minimum relevant experience:15+ years of hands-on experience creating software solutions involving multiple layers of tooling and infrastructure, with a strong emphasis on open-source and cloud-based solutions
- 12+ years of hands-on technical experience with agile, lean, user-centric (human-centered) development methodologies
- 12+ years of experience identifying best-of-breed technologies and defining technical strategy and roadmaps
- 8+ years of experience leading partnerships with large organizations at the business and technical level
- 5+ years of hands-on technical experience with Blockchain (public, private, hybrid) infrastructure, or Machine Learning, or Artificial Intelligence
- Experience working within the social impact, CSR, ESG, and/or Development/International Non-Profit sector would be considered a strong value-add
- Experience implementing technology solutions within the development sector and agriculture would be considered a strong value-add.
Most Critical Proficiencies:
- Integrity & Humanists: Integrity provides the foundation for the responsible exercise of our rights and responsibilities as human beings with society and the environment. Integrity leads to empowerment and excellence. Humanists emphasize the value and agency of human beings.
- Critical Thinking, Conceptual & Implementation Thinking – ability to quickly develop a meaningful perspective of how Technology will impact Heifer's business and impact models. Ability to gather new data with existing knowledge, think independently, and conceptualize a practical application and successful implementation.
- Leadership & Entrepreneurship – ability and mindset to apply technical knowledge to turn a complex idea into a sustainable business and impact model.
- Collaborative and Proactive --- ability to adapt to multiple collaboration models within the context of distinct country cultures, capacities, and experience with digital tool and take a technical concept and apply it back to the impact-driven for farmers
Essential Job Functions and Physical Demands:**
- May require constant sitting; working at a computer for extended periods.
- Constant internet meeting (via Zoom, Skype, Microsoft Teams) with colleagues and stakeholders.
- Ability and willingness to travel both domestically and internationally and adequate physical condition necessary to project sites in rural areas.
- Ability to prepare and present documents and reports with superior attention to detail to a wide-ranging audience.
- Strong interpersonal skills in a changing environment with the ability to tactfully challenge the status quo, and effectively influence improvement.
- Ability to accommodate flexible business hours and collaborate across Africa, Asia, and Americas time zones.
- Sensitivity in working with multiple cultures and beliefs, and gender equity.
- Ability to work with sensitive information and maintain confidentiality.
The expected base salary range for this position is $150k to $170k USD annually. Placement within the range will be based on the competency level of the candidate:
Minimum: Entry level, meets minimum qualifications. Needs guidance and training to perform key responsibilities of the job
Midpoint: Experienced and fully competent. Can independently perform all responsibilities of the job
Maximum: Highly experienced and can perform at a higher level than expected
**Disclaimer: Salary ranges are based on country location and local country salary scales.
WHAT WE OFFER:
Heifer International offers a variety of benefits for U.S.-based employees working 30 or more hours per week.
- Health and wellness benefits including Flexible Spending Account and/or Health Saving Account
- Employee assistance program
- 403(b) retirement plan (match 1% employee to 2% employer up to a maximum of 4% match + 3% employer discretionary contribution regardless of employee contribution)
- 22 vacation days in addition to 12 statutory and discretionary holidays, and 10 sick days per year
- Employer-paid life insurance and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D)
- Professional development and annual merit increase opportunities
- Optional critical illness insurance, legal assistance plan and pet protection
- And more!