About the opportunity
SWCA Environmental Consultants is seeking a GIS Specialist for our Houston or Baton Rouge office. SWCA's GIS Department consists of 70+ GIS Professional with diverse backgrounds in GIS design, cartography, data management, and more. This position will support both our Natural and Cultural Resource programs in the Texas/Gulf Coast region and will collaborate with and support other SWCA offices across the country. This position has the potential to be remote.
Our Vision (the North Star)****: Help drive SWCA to be the best workplace and industry leader in sustainability, bringing sound science and creative solutions to global environmental challenges while maintaining a dedication to employee-ownership.
Core Values: We are #OneSWCA and collaborate across all our offices, programs, and disciplines. We are #AlwaysLearning, we #NeverSettle and we #GiveBack. We are 100% employee-owned, and we build our success together. It is imperative for the successful candidate to fit SWCA's unique culture. Do you appreciate sustainability and environmental awareness? Is giving back to your community a priority? SWCA is a team of scientists, planners, technical experts, and corporate services professionals that are committed to our culture.
Purpose**:** Our company purpose is to preserve natural and cultural resources for tomorrow while enabling projects that benefit people today. You are invited to be a part of our success story.
What you will accomplish
- Work with the GIS Team Lead to prepare field equipment, maps, and data dictionaries for field staff; post-process and manage field data; and create map products using established protocols and templates
- Communicate workload with the team to ensure that productivity goals are met and that projects are delivered on time and on budget
- Contribute to a collaborative work environment including project managers and other GIS specialists
- Maintain quality of work consistent with SWCA's standards and practices
- Use Esri ArcGIS Pro for data management, production/editing, spatial analyses, and for efficient production of high-quality field maps and report figures
- Follow data management Best Practices and provide technical support for a variety of mobile data collection systems including tablets, GPS receivers, ESRI’s Field Maps and Survey123 applications
- Create cartographic-quality map products using ArcGIS Pro and Online
- Help design, create, maintain, and QA/QC geospatial databases using ArcGIS
Experience and qualifications for success
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in GIS, Geography, Cartography, Archaeology, Biology, Environmental Science or related field with an emphasis in GIS (or a GIS certificate)
- Minimum of zero (0) years of experience beyond university attendance with GPS technology, field data collection techniques, data management, and troubleshooting of equipment and digital files is required. One (1) to two (2) years of experience preferred
- Experience with ArcGIS Pro 2.x and ArcMap 10.x as well as knowledge of cartography and computer mapping including design principles and understanding map creation procedures in ArcGIS
- Prior work in environmental consulting, with experience in the application of GIS to cultural or natural resources management and prior experience working with federal land agencies such as the USFS, NPS, BLM, BOR, USGS, or other, is very desirable
- Completed all GIS-related aspects of a project, from fieldwork preparations, to geospatial analyses, to final report maps and calculations
- Experience with data transfer, data analysis, data mining, and data inventory using software applications (e.g. Windows Explorer, Excel, Access, Esri ArcGIS)
- Prior knowledge and experience creating database schemas, domains, ArcServer/web applications, network analysis, knowledge of Python, .NET, Java, PHP, HTML
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.