Heifer Project Nepal
Non-US Job Description
Job Title: Finance Officer
Position Number: TBD
New or Refill: New
Core position: Yes NoSalary Grade: 3
Dept. #/Subproject WO: TBD
Reports to: Finance Manager
Supervisor POSNO: 222182
Supervisor RESNO/Name: 124064/Bivek Kumar Shah
Supervision: Employees Yes No | Volunteers Yes No
Relocation Funds: Non-Negotiable
Travel Required: Minimum 70% Annually
Heifer Project Nepalis an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with some form of specially-abled**.**
The Finance Officer will assist with financial and accounting aspects of the country program office and maintain the accountability of Heifer Nepal’s project partners in accordance with HPI objectives, policies and procedures. This position requires extensive travel and will be based in the field office.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DELIVERABLES**: (**including approximate percentage effort)
Project partner/stakeholder financial management and reporting (70%)
Responsible for building the capacity of project holders in terms of financial management and providing support through training and field monitoring
- Coordinate the submission of the project partner monthly, quarterly, semiannual, and annual financial reports as stipulated in Heifer policies.
- Organize trainings for capacity building of NGOs/cooperatives.
- Bring innovations in the use of management and information systems.
- Conduct regular monitoring visits to check the implementation of Heifer’s partner policies and program impact.
- Assist in preparation of partner budgets; coordinate and monitor the partner budgets.
- Ensure compliance with accounting principles and standards including Heifer partners, donors, local partners and Heifer Project Nepal cost principles.
- Review budget requests and ensure the timely processing of funds.
- Ensure timely reporting to donors and stakeholders in required formats.
Budgeting and audits (25%)
- Assist in the annual budgeting cycle and reforecasts and coordinate the process of internal audits, partner audits and statutory audits.
- Assist the Finance Manager in the annual budgeting cycle including reforecasts and postbacks.
- Assist the Finance Manager in preparing donor budgets and financial reporting.
- Prepare the partner audit schedule and communicate with internal auditors.
- Provide proper logistics and coordination during partner audits.
- Finalize partner audits and financial reports.
Perform other job-related duties as assigned (5%)
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS:
- A Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent from a recognized university in Business Administration, Business Studies, or a related field plus a minimum of three (3) years of experience in a similar context.
- Experience in the public procurement process of Nepal and managing government grants will be an added advantage.
- Practical experience in various aspects of accounting principles and practices with a good understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
- Basic understanding and sensitivity to issues associated with poverty, hunger and the environment.
- Strong skills in budgeting and reporting, and the ability to analyze and interpret financial reports.
- Computer proficient in word processing, spreadsheets, electronic mail and internet (Microsoft preferred).
- Proficient in English, both spoken and written.
- Ability to prepare, manage and monitor budgets and other financial information.
- Excellent organizational skills including strong attention to detail.
- Ability and willingness to work a flexible schedule.
- Willingness and ability to travel extensively, both locally and internationally.
- Motivated to work responsibly with little supervision.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work cooperatively, tactfully and diplomatically with a culturally diverse group of people.
- Ability to produce accurate documents in a well-designed and attractive format.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Excellent leadership qualities and communication skills.
- Ability to cooperate effectively and harmoniously with project partners and like-minded organizations.
- Ability to meet and deal with others in a courteous and tactful manner.
- Demonstrate a high degree of honesty and integrity.
- Ability to foster and maintain a spirit of unity, teamwork and cooperation.
- Sensitivity in working with multiple cultures and beliefs, and to gender equity.