Pact is an international nonprofit that works in nearly 40 countries building solutions for human development that are evidence-based, data-driven and owned by the communities we serve. Founded in 1971, Pact works with partners to build resilience, improve accountability, and strengthen knowledge and skills for sustainable social impact.
Programs - Pact strives for a world where all people are heard, capable, and vibrant. The Programs Team helps realize this objective by bridging program management, technical support, and business development, enabling Pact to achieve its global strategy. We ensure program excellence through continuous learning, monitoring and evaluation and provide organizational and industry-wide thought leadership by leveraging a complementary set of cross-functional, multi-disciplinary skills, expertise, and experiences. The Programs team: influences progressive change through the development and implementation of global and regional strategies and business plans; supports advancement of innovative solutions; pursues new business opportunities; and drives effective internal and external engagement to maximize Pact’s impact across the globe. Across all aspects of its role, the Programs Department adheres to and promotes a culture of inclusion, accountability, and respect.
Pact seeks a highly qualified and accomplished individuals for the recently awarded United States Agency for International Development (USAID)/PEPFAR-funded Zambia Integrated Health HIV activity – (ZIH) Project. The five-year project, which will be led by Pact. Zambia Integrated Health will improve health outcomes of Zambians through equitable access to high-quality health services in the areas of client-centered HIV, Tuberculosis; Maternal, Newborn and Child Health; Family Planning and Reproductive Health. It will reduce mortality, morbidity, and HIV transmission for sub-populations in Northwestern, Copperbelt, and Central Provinces. Pact will work closely with the Zambian Ministry of Health to attain the country’s goal of reaching HIV epidemic control by 2030. The activity will be delivered through three main components namely:
Increase coverage of comprehensive and person-centered HIV, TB/HIV, FP/RH, MNCH prevention, diagnosis, care, treatment and support services in both communities and health facilities.
Increase utilization of community and facility-based quality and person-centered integrated HIV, TB/HIV, FP/RH, MNCH services.
Increase capacities of Provincial and District Health Offices to improve quality and sustain Direct Service Delivery of integrated HIV, TB/HIV, FP/RH, MNCH during and beyond the life of the activity.
The Finance Officer is directly responsible to and supervised by the ZIH Project Finance Manager. The Finance Officer is responsible for the day-to-day internal finance functions of ZIH Project.
This is a Zambia based local Position and open to Zambian nationals only.
Key Performance Areas
Travel Advances Management
Petty Cash Maintenance
Fixed Asset and Inventory Maintenance
Monthly Financial Reporting
Specific Finance Duties
- Ensure that the PO (Purchase Orders) are matched to invoices and the billing detail verified.
- Prepare payment vouchers, making sure that supporting documents such as invoices, delivery notes are complete and attached and indicating the Account, Fund and Sub-Project Codes.
- Capture all approved payments onto the Stanbic Online Banking system for approval by signatories.
- Attach and file all EFT copies to the respective payment documents and send a copy to the vendor.
- Assist in preparing for monthly invoices and Financial Reports.
- Assist in preparing of Pact’s annual audits by ensuring the filed documents are complete.
Capture of Monthly Transactions
- Ensure daily recording of transactions into Serenic accounting software.
- Ensure that all transactions in Serenic and hard copy documents are uniquely numbered to facilitate future queries and audit trails.
- Ensure that the accounts codes are accurately captured in Serenic accounting software.
- Ensure timely and accurate capture and review of all Purchase Orders in Serenic accounting software.
- Ensure timely and accurate capturing of travel advances and liquidations in Serenic accounting software.
- Ensure expatriate staff allowances paid in-country are tracked and payment documents are sent to DC on a monthly basis to ensure smooth financial month-end close.
- Review Travel Advance authorization and Request Forms for ZIH Project staff to ensure accuracy of the amounts requested as per Pact Zambia Travel policy.
- Verify and confirm that the staff requesting for a travel advance does not have an unliquidated advance pending.
- Review all liquidations for accuracy and validity of receipts and other supporting documents.
- Ensure that all travel advances are liquidated within the stipulated timeframe and any change is banked timely as per Pact Policy.
Petty Cash Maintenance
- Review Petty Cash vouchers and receipts for accuracy and validity and submit to the Finance Manager for approval.
- Review the Petty Cash Reconciliation Register and the supporting vouchers and receipts for eventual petty cash reimbursement and submit to the Senior Finance Officer for further review.
- Conduct random and month-end Petty Cash Count and report on any discrepancies found to the Finance Manager.
Specific Administrative Duties
Fixed Asset Register Maintenance
- Ensure the Fixed Asset Register is updated and reconciled with the Asset Register in Serenic accounting software .
- Conduct inventory count quarterly to ensure existence of assets and verification of their status and condition.
- Report any discrepancies immediately to the Finance Manager.
- Ensure that all assets are insured by ensuring that the Insurance policy is renewed annually and newly procured assets are included in the insurance cover.
- Liaise with Pact DC on semi-annual updates of database.
- Prepare annual inventory reports.
Payroll & Filing of Statutory Returns
- Timely prepare and submit monthly, bi-annual and annual statutory returns for PAYE, NAPSA, Workers’ Compensation Fund.
- Follow up on Timesheets and ensure they are submitted by 22nd of the month.
- Perform functions with a view to safeguarding and developing the best interests of Pact Zambia .
- Ensure the accuracy and completeness of financial transactions.
- Maintain a sound filing system.
- Perform other reasonable duties as assigned.
- Employee compiles with all company policies and procedures, including completing all compliance training topics by the deadline to satisfy each, and receiving the corresponding acknowledgment statement that the training has been completed.
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration or related field.
- 3 – 5 years of relevant experiences in finance, accounting, and operations.
- Sound knowledge of General Accepted Accounting Practices (GAAP).
- Strong written and verbal English communication skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, including Excel, Word, PowerPoint and complex accounting software systems.
- Key eye for details.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Experience coordinating with international field offices preferred.